cutting a 1.5 inch fork steerer

bikemecca.com

Guest
If anyone needs any advice on how to cut a 1.5" fork steerer without a
cutting guide, we've compiled the following, kind of sort of foolproof
instructions:

http://www.bikemecca.com/techstuff/onefive.html

suggestions, comments and any other ideas welcomed and will be posted
if you're willing.

eric
----------
bikemecca.com

bikemecca.com wrote:
> If anyone needs any advice on how to cut a 1.5" fork steerer without a
> cutting guide, we've compiled the following, kind of sort of foolproof
> instructions:
>
> http://www.bikemecca.com/techstuff/onefive.html
>
> suggestions, comments and any other ideas welcomed and will be posted
> if you're willing.
>
> eric
> ----------
> bikemecca.com

Determine where to cut, put some tape around the steerer, cut as
straight as possible, remove sharp edges and you are done. It has not be
perfect straight. Or use a pipecutter.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Oct 21, 2:32 pm, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Determine where to cut, put some tape around the steerer, cut as
> straight as possible, remove sharp edges and you are done. It has not be
> perfect straight. Or use a pipecutter.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

I like the tape. excellent idea. Thanks.

Even though it doesn't have to be perfectly straight...if someone is
paying $4500 for a bike, they tend to notice things like uneven cuts.
Most pipecutters in bike shops barely cut as large a 31.8mm in
diameter...unless you make the effort to buy a much larger industrial
one.

Thanks again,
eric
--------
bikemecca.com

bikemecca.com wrote:
> I like the tape. excellent idea. Thanks.
> Even though it doesn't have to be perfectly straight...if someone is
> paying $4500 for a bike, they tend to notice things like uneven cuts.
> Most pipecutters in bike shops barely cut as large a 31.8mm in
> diameter...unless you make the effort to buy a much larger industrial
> one.

Home mechanics or hobbyists may have that issue but a shop owner will
find cheap tools an incessant heartache. Get a real one such as a Rigid
#20 for metal. Carbon composites should be cut with a fine blade or
abrasive wire, not a pipe cutter.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Oct 21, 6:14 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Home mechanics or hobbyists may have that issue but a shop owner will
> find cheap tools an incessant heartache. Get a real one such as a Rigid
> #20 for metal. Carbon composites should be cut with a fine blade or
> abrasive wire, not a pipe cutter.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks Andrew for the specific tool description. Bear in mind that
there is a creature that is not all that rare, very abundant in n.
america known in latin as "cheapus shopus ownerus".

thanks for the input,
eric

bikemecca.com wrote:
> Thanks Andrew for the specific tool description. Bear in mind that
> there is a creature that is not all that rare, very abundant in n.
> america known in latin as "cheapus shopus ownerus".

It's false economizing, short sighted and expensive. You'll spend less
overall with premium quality tools. And cry less.
--

bikemecca.com wrote:
> If anyone needs any advice on how to cut a 1.5" fork steerer without a
> cutting guide, we've compiled the following, kind of sort of foolproof
> instructions:
>
> http://www.bikemecca.com/techstuff/onefive.html
>
> suggestions, comments and any other ideas welcomed and will be posted
> if you're willing.
>
> eric
> ----------
> bikemecca.com

I'm always amazed at the ability of people to make things harder than
necessary. Why not make your own cutting guide? A block of hardwood-
maple is nice, an inch and a quarter spade bit and a drill or drill
press and you've got one. Simple, easy and Bob's your uncle. And if
you split it in half you can use it to clamp the steerer in the vise.
Phil Brown

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:14:59 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Carbon composites should be cut with a fine blade or
>abrasive wire, not a pipe cutter.
>--

Cutoff disk on rotary tool and fine file after works well too.

On Oct 22, 8:33 am, philcycles <[email protected]> wrote:
> bikemecca.com wrote:

> I'm always amazed at the ability of people to make things harder than
> necessary. Why not make your own cutting guide? A block of hardwood-
> maple is nice, an inch and a quarter spade bit and a drill or drill
> press and you've got one. Simple, easy and Bob's your uncle. And if
> you split it in half you can use it to clamp the steerer in the vise.
> Phil Brown

nice idea. thanks. fyi. bike mechanics are traditionally lousy at
working with wood but we'll give it a shot if we have time to scour
the local scrap lumber yard for blocks of hardwood...and then find a
drill press. right.

eric
-----------
bikemecca.com

bikemecca.com wrote:
> On Oct 22, 8:33 am, philcycles <[email protected]> wrote:
>> bikemecca.com wrote:

>> I'm always amazed at the ability of people to make things harder than
>> necessary. Why not make your own cutting guide? A block of hardwood-
>> maple is nice, an inch and a quarter spade bit and a drill or drill
>> press and you've got one. Simple, easy and Bob's your uncle. And if
>> you split it in half you can use it to clamp the steerer in the vise.
>> Phil Brown

> nice idea. thanks. fyi. bike mechanics are traditionally lousy at
> working with wood but we'll give it a shot if we have time to scour
> the local scrap lumber yard for blocks of hardwood...and then find a
> drill press. right.
>
> eric
> -----------
> bikemecca.com

You could also use an old steel stem as a guide.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

On Oct 22, 8:33 am, philcycles <[email protected]> wrote:
> bikemecca.com wrote:
>

> I'm always amazed at the ability of people to make things harder than
> necessary. Why not make your own cutting guide? A block of hardwood-
> maple is nice, an inch and a quarter spade bit and a drill or drill
> press and you've got one. Simple, easy and Bob's your uncle. And if
> you split it in half you can use it to clamp the steerer in the vise.
> Phil Brown

okay...okay...it's finally sunk in....I freely admit that the system
has evolved at our shop is needlessly complex. it looks like just
running out to home depot and spending the $10-$15 for the proper
sized pipe cutter would be fantastic, if we weren't too lazy to drive
to Home Depot.

eric
--------
bikemecca.com

On Oct 23, 11:47 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:

> You could also use an old steel stem as a guide.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

do you mean clamp an old steel stem? or just hold it alongside the saw
blade? I don't now of any steel threadless stems, let alone one in
1.5" diameter.....remember the issue is that 1.5" steerers are
relatively new and almost nothing exists to work with them...

eric
-----------
bikemecca.com

bikemecca.com wrote:
> On Oct 23, 11:47 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> You could also use an old steel stem as a guide.
>>
>> Lou
>> --
>> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

> do you mean clamp an old steel stem? or just hold it alongside the saw
> blade? I don't now of any steel threadless stems, let alone one in
> 1.5" diameter.....remember the issue is that 1.5" steerers are
> relatively new and almost nothing exists to work with them...
>
> eric
> -----------
> bikemecca.com

Sorry I forgot about that.

Lou
--

"bikemecca.com" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 8:33 am, philcycles <[email protected]> wrote:
> > bikemecca.com wrote:
> >

> > I'm always amazed at the ability of people to make things harder than
> > necessary. Why not make your own cutting guide? A block of hardwood-
> > maple is nice, an inch and a quarter spade bit and a drill or drill
> > press and you've got one. Simple, easy and Bob's your uncle. And if
> > you split it in half you can use it to clamp the steerer in the vise.
> > Phil Brown

> okay...okay...it's finally sunk in....I freely admit that the system
> has evolved at our shop is needlessly complex. it looks like just
> running out to home depot and spending the $10-$15 for the proper
> sized pipe cutter would be fantastic, if we weren't too lazy to drive
> to Home Depot.
>
> eric
> --------
> bikemecca.com

Then *ride* there. Sheesh.

--
Ted Bennett

On Oct 23, 6:47 pm, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
if we weren't too lazy to drive
> > to Home Depot.

> > eric
> > --------