Cutting a carbon fibre seat post

Future-pro

Nov 7, 2004
Does anyone know the best way of cutting a carbon fibre seat post to reduce it's length recently i brought a new bike which came with a carbon fibre tear drop style seat tube (sorry if ive got the wrong defintion) which seems like its going to waste on a road bike when ive got a time trial bike worth £5 grand (didnt pay that much though only £1300) which is using the seat post from my road bike a steel one. The only problem is the seat post won't go all the way down into the bike (there is about a gap of 1 inch from where the teardrop begins so ive got to find some way of cutting the seat post down so i can get the seat post at the height which i need it to be

Future-pro said:
Does anyone know the best way of cutting a carbon fibre seat post to reduce it's length recently i brought a new bike which came with a carbon fibre tear drop style seat tube (sorry if ive got the wrong defintion) which seems like its going to waste on a road bike when ive got a time trial bike worth £5 grand (didnt pay that much though only £1300) which is using the seat post from my road bike a steel one. The only problem is the seat post won't go all the way down into the bike (there is about a gap of 1 inch from where the teardrop begins so ive got to find some way of cutting the seat post down so i can get the seat post at the height which i need it to be
hacksaw with a fine blade,masking tape to prevent splintering,and a light touch.

If you have an archery shop near try them. They cut carbon arrows with a very high speed circular saw. They should also have a jig te ensure the cut is square

Chris Bryson said:
If you have an archery shop near try them. They cut carbon arrows with a very high speed circular saw. They should also have a jig te ensure the cut is square
A dremel tool with a cutoff wheel works the same,and square is a non issue.....unless one is really AR. :rolleyes:

Specs call for a minimum 28 tpi on that saw blade for carbon cuts.
I used a 32 on my carbon fork steer tube. Worked great.
Keep in mind it's a seat post, therefore a perfectly perpendicular cut is not all that important. It'll be hidden in the downtube.
Me ? I'd leave it as is. What you'll save in weight can't add up to all that much. Good luck.

BikeyGuy said:
Keep in mind it's a seat post, therefore a perfectly perpendicular cut is not all that important. It'll be hidden in the downtube.
Me ? I'd leave it as is. What you'll save in weight can't add up to all that much. Good luck.

I think he said he was cutting it because it was too long and bottomed out before he can get it to his seat height.

BikeyGuy said:
The info on cutting with the hacksaw is good. Just make sure that you leave 7 cm of material "in" the frame. This is spec for most all seatposts, alloy or carbon. Any more is extra weight. People pay big bucks to drop a few grams, and this is the fastest/cheapest way for "grammies" to drop wieght.

well the operation was a success i used a fine bladed hacksaw put masking tape on it then cut off as much as i needed to but the funny thing is was looking at how to setup a time trial bike properly which meant that cutting the seat post was near enough pointless as it was already at the height i needed still nice to know it will go down all the way now guess it'll be a bit lighter as well

I had a Magicstick seatpost that went bad (where the clamp glues to the post came loose) and my LBS lent me an aluminum post until the new FSA came in. I didn't realize how much quieter the carbon posts are until I pulled the aluminum one. Much better...