cutting and rethreading steel steerer tubes

andy

Guest
I have a kestrel fork w/ a 1" threaded steerer. Is it possible to shorten
the steerer tube and cut new threads into the fork steerer. I am not sure on
the thickness of the steel throughout the tube. I am assuming the thickness
is the same the length of the steerer and this would not compromise the fork
steerer.
thanks,
Andy

It has removed 922 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

"andy" <trifox13atcovaddotnet> writes:

>I have a kestrel fork w/ a 1" threaded steerer. Is it possible to shorten
>the steerer tube and cut new threads into the fork steerer. I am not sure on
>the thickness of the steel throughout the tube. I am assuming the thickness
>is the same the length of the steerer and this would not compromise the fork

Most good LBS's have the die to do this, and it is commonly done if
the steerer tube is steel.

The steerer tube is beefy tubing (typically 1 - 1.1 mm) all along its
length because it has to handle the internal expander from a 1" stem,
anywhere inside the tube, and this is the more strenuous load on the
steerer tube.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:

> The steerer tube is beefy tubing (typically 1 - 1.1 mm) all along its
> length because it has to handle the internal expander from a 1" stem,
> anywhere inside the tube, and this is the more strenuous load on the
> steerer tube.

if it isn't 1/16" you're in trouble!
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Donald Gillies wrote:

> The steerer tube is beefy tubing (typically 1 - 1.1 mm) all along its
> length because it has to handle the internal expander from a 1" stem,
> anywhere inside the tube, and this is the more strenuous load on the
> steerer tube.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Sorry, most steerers are butted and thicker at the crown than at the
top. Shorten the sttere too much and the quill of the stem won't insert
far enough.
Phil Brown

Mea Culpa !! I was looking at steerer tubes on Nova Cycles yesterday,
but I must have gotten steerer tubes mixed up with head tubes (which
are the tubes that are typically 1.0 mm and not butted, steerer tubes
indeed are typically 1.6mm or thicker, and they are butted, viz :

http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_58_303

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:54:08 -0700, "andy" <trifox13atcovaddotnet>
wrote:

>I have a kestrel fork w/ a 1" threaded steerer. Is it possible to shorten
>the steerer tube and cut new threads into the fork steerer.

It's done the other way around; first you extend the existing threads,
then you shorten the tube. This is *far* more reliable than cutting
first.

>I am not sure on
>the thickness of the steel throughout the tube. I am assuming the thickness
>is the same the length of the steerer and this would not compromise the fork
>steerer.

While I've heard tales of wierd butted steer tubes, I have yet to
actually see one. You should be safe.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 9 Nov 2006 15:26:55 -0800, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
wrote:

>Mea Culpa !! I was looking at steerer tubes on Nova Cycles yesterday,
>but I must have gotten steerer tubes mixed up with head tubes (which
>are the tubes that are typically 1.0 mm and not butted, steerer tubes
>indeed are typically 1.6mm or thicker, and they are butted, viz :
>
> http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_58_303

Butting at the bottom is common, yes, but I was told a tale of woe
concerning a goofy steerer that was butted at both ends; when the
threading was extended, it got really thin and twisted off. I don't
recall what kind of fork it was, but the guy who had encountered it
said he'd never seen another one like it, so it's rare enough that
this should not be an issue.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Thanks for all the responses.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 9 Nov 2006 15:26:55 -0800, [email protected] (Donald Gillies)
> wrote:
>
>>Mea Culpa !! I was looking at steerer tubes on Nova Cycles yesterday,
>>but I must have gotten steerer tubes mixed up with head tubes (which
>>are the tubes that are typically 1.0 mm and not butted, steerer tubes
>>indeed are typically 1.6mm or thicker, and they are butted, viz :
>>
>> http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_58_303

> Butting at the bottom is common, yes, but I was told a tale of woe
> concerning a goofy steerer that was butted at both ends; when the
> threading was extended, it got really thin and twisted off. I don't
> recall what kind of fork it was, but the guy who had encountered it
> said he'd never seen another one like it, so it's rare enough that
> this should not be an issue.
> --
> Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
> Some gardening required to reply via email.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

It has removed 923 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!