Cutting calories and lifting - what happens?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Philo, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. Philo

    Philo Guest

    I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've made
    it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.

    I'm lifting 3x a week and doing 45 minutes aerobics/day.

    I know that in theory you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time;
    what I'm wondering is what will happen over time - let's say I maintain a
    1000 Calorie/day deficit (with lots of water and lots of protein) - that's
    a 2lb/week weight loss. But what happens to my lifting - will I maintain
    what I lift? Will it drop as I lose muscle mass no matter what?

    Thanks!
    Philo

    Tags:

  2. JMW

    JMW Guest

    Philo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've made
    >it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.
    >
    >I'm lifting 3x a week and doing 45 minutes aerobics/day.
    >
    >I know that in theory you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time;
    >what I'm wondering is what will happen over time - let's say I maintain a
    >1000 Calorie/day deficit (with lots of water and lots of protein) - that's
    >a 2lb/week weight loss. But what happens to my lifting - will I maintain
    >what I lift? Will it drop as I lose muscle mass no matter what?

    It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
    be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
    probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

  3. Philo

    Philo Guest

    JMW <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Philo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've
    >>made it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.
    >>

    > It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
    > be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
    > probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

    Absolutely that's the main goal. But I like lifting, and would like to hold
    on to what muscle I can until I get a lot of the fat off. The primary goal
    is definitely fat loss - it just seems odd to think that I can be lifting
    regularly and have to drop the amount I'm lifting ("Let's see - last week I
    was squatting 245, so this week I'll try 235...") :)

    Philo

  4. JMW

    JMW Guest

    Philo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Philo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've
    >>>made it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.
    >>>

    >> It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
    >> be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
    >> probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.
    >>

    >Absolutely that's the main goal. But I like lifting, and would like to hold
    >on to what muscle I can until I get a lot of the fat off. The primary goal
    >is definitely fat loss - it just seems odd to think that I can be lifting
    >regularly and have to drop the amount I'm lifting ("Let's see - last week I
    >was squatting 245, so this week I'll try 235...") :)

    I think you're missing my point. There's no need to stop lifting.
    And I doubt you will lose much ground in strength; in fact, under your
    circumstances, you may actually make some strength gains. Really.