Cutting calories and lifting - what happens?

Philo

Guest
I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've made
it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.

I'm lifting 3x a week and doing 45 minutes aerobics/day.

I know that in theory you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time;
what I'm wondering is what will happen over time - let's say I maintain a
1000 Calorie/day deficit (with lots of water and lots of protein) - that's
a 2lb/week weight loss. But what happens to my lifting - will I maintain
what I lift? Will it drop as I lose muscle mass no matter what?

Thanks!
Philo

Philo <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've made
>it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.
>
>I'm lifting 3x a week and doing 45 minutes aerobics/day.
>
>I know that in theory you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time;
>what I'm wondering is what will happen over time - let's say I maintain a
>1000 Calorie/day deficit (with lots of water and lots of protein) - that's
>a 2lb/week weight loss. But what happens to my lifting - will I maintain
>what I lift? Will it drop as I lose muscle mass no matter what?

It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

JMW <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Philo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've
>>made it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.
>>

> It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
> be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
> probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.

Absolutely that's the main goal. But I like lifting, and would like to hold
on to what muscle I can until I get a lot of the fat off. The primary goal
is definitely fat loss - it just seems odd to think that I can be lifting
regularly and have to drop the amount I'm lifting ("Let's see - last week I
was squatting 245, so this week I'll try 235...") :)

Philo

Philo <[email protected]> wrote:

>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Philo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm 6'4, 290lbs, and trying to climb back on the exercise horse. I've
>>>made it a month on 1000Cals deficit/day.
>>>

>> It sounds like you've been away from it for long enough that you might
>> be able to accomplish both for a little while. At your weight, you
>> probably ought to get rid of some blubber first.
>>

>Absolutely that's the main goal. But I like lifting, and would like to hold
>on to what muscle I can until I get a lot of the fat off. The primary goal
>is definitely fat loss - it just seems odd to think that I can be lifting
>regularly and have to drop the amount I'm lifting ("Let's see - last week I
>was squatting 245, so this week I'll try 235...") :)

I think you're missing my point. There's no need to stop lifting.
And I doubt you will lose much ground in strength; in fact, under your
circumstances, you may actually make some strength gains. Really.