Cutting Carbon Bar

mgkaplan

Apr 23, 2006
I have an Easton Monkey Lite XC carbon bar on my bike. I also have carbon bar ends. The bar, which is 26", is too wide for me. I am considering cutting one inch off of each end of the bar and then reinstalling the bar ends. Although Easton's website indicates that the bar may be cut and that it is compatable with bar ends, my local bike mechanic is trying to discourage me from doing this as he believes that cutting the bar will compromise the integrity of the bar to the extent that it would be unsafe with bar ends. Several other mechanics have advised me that cutting the bar and replacing the bar ends should be no problem.

If I am compromising my safety, I would prefer to replace my carbon bar with an aluminum bar.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

mgkaplan said:
I have an Easton Monkey Lite XC carbon bar on my bike. I also have carbon bar ends. The bar, which is 26", is too wide for me. I am considering cutting one inch off of each end of the bar and then reinstalling the bar ends. Although Easton's website indicates that the bar may be cut and that it is compatable with bar ends, my local bike mechanic is trying to discourage me from doing this as he believes that cutting the bar will compromise the integrity of the bar to the extent that it would be unsafe with bar ends. Several other mechanics have advised me that cutting the bar and replacing the bar ends should be no problem.

If I am compromising my safety, I would prefer to replace my carbon bar with an aluminum bar.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Well if Easton says it's ok then do it. :) If you fall and break your neck you can retire with a nice penny in your pocket. ;)

Cutting carbon fiber is not much different than cutting fiberglass. It's not a mystery material. Of course you can cut the ends of the bars off. Read up on carbon fiber and how to work with it. How do you think bike manufacturers get their tubes cut to length? Use a very fine tooth hacksaw with a straight blade without a kerf (no waviness). Have spare blades handy because carbon composites are quite abrasive. Wear a dust mask for the fibers are dangerous when inhaled. Remember the most important thing: measure twice, cut once.

Wrap sticky tape tightly around the bar before you cut to lesson the splintering, then sandpaper the cut.

My concern is the advisability of putting bar ends on a carbon bar that has been cut. After I have properly cut the bar, is their any added risk when I add the bar ends?

mgkaplan said:
My concern is the advisability of putting bar ends on a carbon bar that has been cut. After I have properly cut the bar, is their any added risk when I add the bar ends?
As long as you're using bar ends that are recomended for carbon bars you should be alright. In addition to using tape and a fine tooth hack saw when cutting, you may also want to cut about a milimeter long and sand down the rest of the way.

I do not know how your BE mount i.e. can they be loosened & slide along the bar or do they actually fit some how on the end of the bar?, but on my flat alloy bar [23 inchs long] road bike I pushed my carbon BE in 25 mm leaving the overhang with the intention of cutting it off when I was sure it was right. I found this overhang a handy place to rest the outside of my hands when holding the BE whilst seated or standing so I left it uncut. Depending where you ride this overhang could bring you unstuck eg in a group ride or through the trees. Just another option & something to try in the interum till you decide. Sorry this does not answer your original Q on carbon bars.