Cutting Carbon Fiber Steerer Tube Question

cityscapex5

Aug 2, 2004
I've been gradually removing the spacers from my roubaix pro as i've become more comfortable (started out with the bars level to the seat). Now the steerer tube is sticking out a little bit above the stem cap. Would cutting about a 1/4" off the stereer tube be detrimental? I've been told that Carbon Fiber fray's so that cutting it isnt neccessarily a good idea but the guy at the shop didnt really have any strong opinions one way or the other (i doubt he was really familiar with carbon) . i don't really want to put a spacer on top for aesthetic reasons - any opinions? Thanks.

cityscapex5 said:
I've been gradually removing the spacers from my roubaix pro as i've become more comfortable (started out with the bars level to the seat). Now the steerer tube is sticking out a little bit above the stem cap. Would cutting about a 1/4" off the stereer tube be detrimental? I've been told that Carbon Fiber fray's so that cutting it isnt neccessarily a good idea but the guy at the shop didnt really have any strong opinions one way or the other (i doubt he was really familiar with carbon) . i don't really want to put a spacer on top for aesthetic reasons - any opinions? Thanks.
People cut em all the time. Wrap with masking tape, use a fine hacksaw blade and a light touch.Hose clamp for a guide.

Just to let you know instead of a fine hacksaw get you a diamond hacksaw like the one used to cut graphite shats in golf clubs, it should produce a better cut than a regular hacksaw blade. Can get them at any golf retailer or most driving ranges that repair clubs. Wrap the fork in masking tape before you cut or lightly score the entire diameter of the tube with the diamond blade this will help prevent shredding and support both ends to keep it from tipping while you cut and tearing the last few carbon threads as you get close to the end of your cut.

dalronathos said:
Just to let you know instead of a fine hacksaw get you a diamond hacksaw like the one used to cut graphite shats in golf clubs, it should produce a better cut than a regular hacksaw blade. Can get them at any golf retailer or most driving ranges that repair clubs.
What do you know if you have never used a fine hacksaw blade? When I start having issues with a hacksaw blade,I'll stop suggesting it.