Cutting carbon fork steerer with pipe-cutter?

blastingammo

Aug 7, 2005
Has anyone cut a carbon fork steerer tube with a pipe cutter? I've seen some posts about using a hacksaw and a pull saw. Please let me know. Thanks! :)

-- B

It could get messy, and it's going to trash the blade on the cutter. You're best off using something abrasive.

Here's what my friends and I have figured out is the best way to do this. Bear with me, I don't always get my point across with written directions... Wrap masking tape around the fork where you want to cut it, not with the tape edge on your cut-off line but so your cut-off line is drawn on the tape. This will help the steerer from not splintering. Use a Dremel or other such tool and a cut-off wheel. If you have to use a hand saw, use a very,very fine blade or you can do a good job of f**king up a $400 fork by splintering the hell out of it! Carbon dust and fibers are VERY nasty suff and can be extremely sharp, so you really want to wear goggles, a dust mask, gloves and long sleeves I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out!

you risk a crush catastrohpy and resultant bad day.

if you do not have the park tool sg-2 and adequate wherewithal to wield it,
including measuring twice cutting once, find someone who does. do not try this at home kids.

blastingammo said:
Has anyone cut a carbon fork steerer tube with a pipe cutter? I've seen some posts about using a hacksaw and a pull saw. Please let me know. Thanks! :)

-- B

Actually, if you go the Park tool route, you would use the SG-6 for threadless forks. Keep in mind that you would have to use a saw with this. A Dremel won't work and you risk damaging the saw guide. And Lyotard is dead on...Measure twice, cut once!

lyotard is right? well sometimes i guess.

it is indeed a thing of beauty, my park tools sg-6. accepts both 1" and 1 1/8" steerers.

ultimately, advice is do always go to the park tool website before you come to me.

Special ed said:
Actually, if you go the Park tool route, you would use the SG-6 for threadless forks. Keep in mind that you would have to use a saw with this. A Dremel won't work and you risk damaging the saw guide. And Lyotard is dead on...Measure twice, cut once!

i called alpha q and asked them... they told me to use a hacksaw with a guide and a fine tooth blade for aluminum...so that's what i did and it works

IEatRice4Dinner said:
i called alpha q and asked them... they told me to use a hacksaw with a guide and a fine tooth blade for aluminum...so that's what i did and it works
Yeah, and seeing as how this sheot is not rocket science, :rolleyes: it works for Cf too. Wrap with tape to prevent splintering, use a hose clamp guide,as it doesn't even have to be perfectly squaare,and a light touch. Now get er done.

Thanks for all of your input! I'm glad to hear that it's not terribly complicated to cut a steerer column. I didn't know that there were saw guides for this sort of thing but it makes sense. I'll try cutting a steerer column soon and I'll let you know how goes! :)

-- B

blastingammo said:
Thanks for all of your input! I'm glad to hear that it's not terribly complicated to cut a steerer column. I didn't know that there were saw guides for this sort of thing but it makes sense. I'll try cutting a steerer column soon and I'll let you know how goes! :)

-- B
A hose clamp will work well enough, and you really only need to be within 2mm or so of square. If you're really concerned, you can try a practice cut out at the end of the tube that you're cutting off.

i heard someplace you were supposed to cut half way through and then start on the othe side to reduce splintering, any thoughts?

spacefuzz said:
i heard someplace you were supposed to cut half way through and then start on the othe side to reduce splintering, any thoughts?

u could do it that way..probably overkill. i have cut a few and never had any problems it cuts just like plastic.