cutting carbon steerer

Mark OBrien

Guest
I have a Force Carbon fork with carbon steerer.

I have cut Aluminum fork steerer tubes before and cleaned
the cut up with a file and #400 grit sandpaper, but how do
I cut the carbon tube to length?

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:39:06 -0500, Mark OBrien
<[email protected]> may have said:

>I have a Force Carbon fork with carbon steerer.
>
>I have cut Aluminum fork steerer tubes before and cleaned
>the cut up with a file and #400 grit sandpaper, but how do
>I cut the carbon tube to length?

It's recommended that a fine-tooth saw be used.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_forksize.shtml

Mark OBrien <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Force Carbon fork with carbon steerer.
>
> I have cut Aluminum fork steerer tubes before and cleaned
> the cut up with a file and #400 grit sandpaper, but how do
> I cut the carbon tube to length?

Use a fine-tooth hacksaw and tape the steerer with masking tape at the
cut line to prevent fraying. I like using a cutting guide. Once cut,
some fine sandpaper will finish the edge. Remove tape when finished.

Robin Hubert

>I have a Force Carbon fork with carbon steerer.
>
>I have cut Aluminum fork steerer tubes before and cleaned
>the cut up with a file and #400 grit sandpaper, but how do
>I cut the carbon tube to length?

You can use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. Measure twice. Wrap
steerer with masking tape and draw line on tape. Follow line with cut off
wheel. Then clean up any frayed ends.
-----------------
Alex

well, the grit saw is "text book", or it used to be. less fraying.

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:

> No ya don't. A new-ish, high tooth count hacksaw blade...use a guide...It's not
> that complicated.

Dumb question: Wouldn't one of those pipe cutter tools that plumbers use
do the job?

Art Harris

Art<< Dumb question: Wouldn't one of those pipe cutter tools that plumbers use
do the job? >><BR><BR>

Not really. These add a ridge on metal and don't cut the carbon cleanly.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Harris wrote:
> Dumb question: Wouldn't one of those pipe cutter tools that plumbers use
> do the job?

You'd likely fracture the fibers longitudinally and wreck
the thing.

32t blade.
--
Andrew Muzi