cutting eggplant

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ben, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Hi,

    A recipe for Ratatoullie (however you spell that) tells me
    to cut the eggplant into chunks. Does that mean with the
    skin on or am I supposed to peel it? I assume it is with the
    skin on since it doesn't say anything but it would be nice
    to be sure.

    I suppose if it said to add 2 eggplants and I only have one
    it is no big deal? Could I substitute butternut squash?

    Thanks, Ben

    --
    "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

    Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite
    (http://www.onesuite.com).
    2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No
    monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643
    for 20 free minutes.

    Tags:

  2. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:06:03 -0500, ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A recipe for Ratatoullie (however you spell that) tells me
    >to cut the eggplant into chunks. Does that mean with the
    >skin on or am I supposed to peel it? I assume it is with
    >the skin on since it doesn't say anything but it would be
    >nice to be sure.
    >
    >I suppose if it said to add 2 eggplants and I only have one
    >it is no big deal? Could I substitute butternut squash?

    "Supposed to?" The skin is edible. You are going to eat it.
    Peel or not as you wish. I would never peel an eggplant, but
    that is me.

    To me putting a winter squash in ratatouille is a stretch.
    But eggplants vary in size by more than 2 to 1, so if you
    have a biggish one why worry about it.

    Ratatouille is not a microprocessor, or even a souffle.
    Relax and enjoy it. (But use lots of garlic) :)

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

  3. On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:06:03 -0500, ben <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >A recipe for Ratatoullie (however you spell that) tells me
    >to cut the eggplant into chunks. Does that mean with the
    >skin on or am I supposed to peel it? I assume it is with
    >the skin on since it doesn't say anything but it would be
    >nice to be sure.
    >
    >I suppose if it said to add 2 eggplants and I only have one
    >it is no big deal? Could I substitute butternut squash?

    "Supposed to?" The skin is edible. You are going to eat it.
    Peel or not as you wish. I would never peel an eggplant, but
    that is me.

    To me putting a winter squash in ratatouille is a stretch.
    But eggplants vary in size by more than 2 to 1, so if you
    have a biggish one why worry about it.

    Ratatouille is not a microprocessor, or even a souffle.
    Relax and enjoy it. (But use lots of garlic) :)

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

  4. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    ben <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi,
    >
    > A recipe for Ratatoullie (however you spell that) tells me
    > to cut the eggplant into chunks. Does that mean with the
    > skin on or am I supposed to peel it? I assume it is with
    > the skin on since it doesn't say anything but it would be
    > nice to be sure.
    >
    > I suppose if it said to add 2 eggplants and I only
    > have one it is no big deal? Could I substitute
    > butternut squash?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    I've never peeled an eggplant but I do cut them in halves
    etc. I've always left the skin on but generally I grill
    eggplant. I've made eggplant parmesan and left the skin on
    as well. Go ahead and cut it into chunks and substitute the
    squash. See how it tastes and season it to your liking.
    Voila' you have created your own recipe.

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  5. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    ben <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hi,
    >
    > A recipe for Ratatoullie (however you spell that) tells me
    > to cut the eggplant into chunks. Does that mean with the
    > skin on or am I supposed to peel it? I assume it is with
    > the skin on since it doesn't say anything but it would be
    > nice to be sure.
    >
    > I suppose if it said to add 2 eggplants and I only
    > have one it is no big deal? Could I substitute
    > butternut squash?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    I've never peeled an eggplant but I do cut them in halves
    etc. I've always left the skin on but generally I grill
    eggplant. I've made eggplant parmesan and left the skin on
    as well. Go ahead and cut it into chunks and substitute the
    squash. See how it tastes and season it to your liking.
    Voila' you have created your own recipe.

    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  6. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > A recipe for Ratatoullie (however you spell that) tells me
    > to cut the eggplant into chunks. Does that mean with the
    > skin on or am I supposed to peel it? I assume it is with
    > the skin on since it doesn't say anything but it would be
    > nice to be sure.
    >
    > I suppose if it said to add 2 eggplants and I only
    > have one it is no big deal? Could I substitute
    > butternut squash?
    >
    > Thanks, Ben

    Eggplant skin is edible but with older, larger ones can be
    tough. With a little experience you will learn when to peel.
    Butternut squash would be an entirely different taste - I do
    not think it would work in place of eggplant.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  7. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Thanks for everyone's replies. I hadn't cooked
    eggplant before.

    regards, Ben