cutting margarine into flour

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ben, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Dan Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    >
    > > I like the taste of margarine better than butter because
    > > that's what I grew up with. But I've started buying
    > > butter for cooking with and "Smart Balance" to spread on
    > > my toast.
    >
    > Maybe it's just me, but I've found that the aftertaste of
    > Smart Balance in or on most things is like I'd eaten axle
    > grease. It tastes just fine, but afterwards the oiliness
    > lingers and lingers and won't go away for hours. Can't
    > figure out why, because I've had foods high in each of the
    individual
    > oils in Smart Balance and they never gave me any trouble.

    I like a product called Olivio. It is made with olive oil
    and whey and as I recall, has the same fat profile as Smart
    Balance. I suppose that if you are avoiding dairy, it
    wouldn't work, though. I have used the Smart Balance
    shortening for pie pastry and I think it works as well as
    hydrogenated vegetable oil, although I generally use butter
    for pastry making.

  2. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "Dan Levy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Vox Humana" <[email protected]il.com> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    >
    > > > Calorie count tells the story immediately. 100
    > > > calories per
    tablespoon
    > is
    > > > the same fat content as butter. (120 calories per
    > > > tablespoon would be
    > > pure
    > > > fat.)
    > >
    > > I thought of that, but the last time I checked, they all
    > > said 100 cal./tablespoon no matter if they had 20 or 35%
    > > water added. I figured there was some rounding rule in
    > > play. I have to go to the store
    tonight,
    > so
    > > I will take a careful look.
    >
    > 35% would have to be a 90 at most, even if by weight (by
    > volume would be
    an
    > 80). That's a difference of over 1 fat gram = 9 calories,
    > too much to account for rounding.

    I'm back from the store and I found stick margarines that
    had 56, 70, 80,
    90. and 100 calories. Most of them were 100 though, so I
    guess I didn't do a very thorough search the first time.

  3. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Vox Humana wrote:

    > I'm back from the store and I found stick margarines that
    > had 56, 70, 80,
    > 90. and 100 calories. Most of them were 100 though, so I
    > guess I didn't do a very thorough search the first
    > time.

    I'll bet only the 100's actually called themselved
    "margarine". You just assumed the Parkay and Blue Bonnet
    (etc.) were margarine because they used to be.

    Best regards, Bob

  4. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Vox Humana wrote:
    > >
    > > I'm back from the store and I found stick margarines
    > > that had 56, 70,
    80,
    > > 90. and 100 calories. Most of them were 100 though, so I
    > > guess I didn't
    do
    > > a very thorough search the first time.
    > >

    > I'll bet only the 100's actually called themselved
    > "margarine". You just assumed the Parkay and Blue Bonnet
    > (etc.) were margarine because they used to be.

    It took me about 5 minutes to find the blue lettering on the
    blue background of the Parkay package at Parkay.com that
    read "70% vegetable oil spread."