cutting the Time VXRS seat-post? integrated design...

Amit Ghosh wrote:
> it is the bike equivalent of a high maintainence girlfriend.

At least the bike doesn't have a headache every time you want to
ride it.

On Jun 13, 4:05 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> Actually, the Look integrated seatpost is more reliable than a regular
> post, if the clamp loosens or breaks, then the post cannot fall into
> the seat tube. I talked directly to their rep here in France and he
> said that they were required by EU law to keep spare parts for it for
> at least 5 years (assuming the company lasts that long, of course).
> You also have quite a margin of adjustment, about 4cm with a minimum
> of 1mm spacers, which means you only have to cut the post once, and it
> probably won't have to be recut if you sell the bike (as I wrote
> previously, a Paris bike shop told me that this was not the case and
> that you could never readjust saddle height without recutting the
> frame, the rep was not pleased when I told him about this).  This is
> not true for any of the other brands, as far as I know. Also, the
> extra stiffness from integrated seat post can be counteracted by the
> use of elastomer spacers.

Right, and when you buy a baseball bat, it comes
with a foam sleeve that slips over it so that it doesn't
hurt as much when you club yourself in the head
repeatedly.

Or you could just not club yourself in the head.

Ben

On Jun 14, 3:38 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jun 13, 6:21 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 13, 3:27 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > In my opinion, nobody should use an integrated seatpost
> > > design unless they're being paid/sponsored to ride the
> > > bike, and even then it's questionable.  Fat Masters should
> > > not use an integrated seatpost design even if they are
> > > being sponsored.  In part this is because the possible
> > > advantage or aero benefit is of no use to Fat Masters, and
> > > in part it's to keep me from havin to listen to hem yakking
> > > about their integrated aero seatmasts at the coffee shop.

> > So right. Jesus Christ, these new fangled bikes seem like science
> > fiction to an old timer like me, though I still can't grok THROWING
> > them. Regular seatposts were good enough for Eddy, so they're good
> > enough for me.
> > -Paul

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EddyMerckxHourRecordBike.jpg
>
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2003/100years/?id=pics/
> EddyHourRecord>
>
> Not sure if these are actually the same bike, but though
> drilled handlebars may have been good enough for
> Eddy, they are not good enough for me.  Although I note
> he doesn't seem to have had the seatpost drilled.
>
> Speaking as somebody who's broken quite a few freewheel
> hub axles (I hardly break anything else, just those damn axles),
> I'm not against innovation.  I'm against *stupid* innovation.
>
> Ben

This bike is no longer legal, too light.

-ilan

On Jun 13, 6:38 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Speaking as somebody who's broken quite a few freewheel
> hub axles (I hardly break anything else, just those damn axles),
> I'm not against innovation. I'm against *stupid* innovation.

Speaking of that, any guesses as to when the new 11 speed cassettes
come out, and where it will all end? More's Law of Cycling:
"More cogs, more bettah." -Yoshi Shimano.

Kids laugh when I tell them I had to ride to school on a bike with
only 5 cogs.
-Paul

Paul G. wrote:
> Kids laugh when I tell them I had to ride to school on a bike with
> only 5 cogs.

You lucky *******! We didn't have cogs when I rode to school.

David

wrote:
> On Jun 13, 6:21 pm, "Paul G." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 13, 3:27 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > In my opinion, nobody should use an integrated seatpost
> > > design unless they're being paid/sponsored to ride the
> > > bike, and even then it's questionable.  Fat Masters should
> > > not use an integrated seatpost design even if they are
> > > being sponsored.  In part this is because the possible
> > > advantage or aero benefit is of no use to Fat Masters, and
> > > in part it's to keep me from havin to listen to hem yakking
> > > about their integrated aero seatmasts at the coffee shop.

> > So right. Jesus Christ, these new fangled bikes seem like science
> > fiction to an old timer like me, though I still can't grok THROWING
> > them. Regular seatposts were good enough for Eddy, so they're good
> > enough for me.
> > -Paul

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EddyMerckxHourRecordBike.jpg
>
> <http://www.cyclingnews.com/sponsors/italia/2003/100years/?id=pics/
> EddyHourRecord>
>
> Not sure if these are actually the same bike, but though
> drilled handlebars may have been good enough for
> Eddy, they are not good enough for me.  Although I note
> he doesn't seem to have had the seatpost drilled.
>
> Speaking as somebody who's broken quite a few freewheel
> hub axles (I hardly break anything else, just those damn axles),
> I'm not against innovation.  I'm against *stupid* innovation.
>
> Ben

The problem these days is that it's all about performance and in many
cases maintenance is a afterthought. The other is is price/
performance. I used to work in a shop and I am very surprised that
bike companies are able to charge so much. With the UCI weight limits
there is a finite gain to be made. A lot of the parts companies seem
more interested in seeing how they can lock you in to their groupo's
or integrated bottom brackets etc...