CX/Commuter wheelset - couple of ?s

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Chris, Apr 25, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I'm ordering a Surly CrossCheck this week, to be built 2x9, and will need a
    wheelset (shocker -wheels on a bike?!?). The bike will be 90% for campus
    commuting (5-25 miles daily, depending what I feel like between classes)
    over rough streets, curbs, grass, light trails, etc. I weigh just under 190
    at 5'10" - with books etc. for school, it's over 200 easy, but it's okay
    because it's more muscle than fat. Not all muscle, but hell...I tend to
    ride fast and aggressive, but have control and technique - I won't be
    bottoming out in any 6 inch potholes by accident.

    The other 10% of the ridetime will be trail riding. Mostly
    paths/well-packed flat dirt, and never anything crazy (yellow loop at
    Schaeffer Farms will be the worst, if you know the trail) because I have a
    couple of mtbs for "real" riding (burn!). But still - there will be
    off-road riding.

    This will be my road bike, but I'll buy some $99 thing from Nashbar for
    that. Won't see a lot of dedicated "road" miles, this bike, but the shop
    where I used to work keeps inviting me along for centuries, and one day I
    gotta show these old people how it's done...

    So my main question is - what do the CXers/commuters/shop owners/wheelgods
    of rec.tech recommend? I do have some restrictions, of course: I'm a
    mountainbiker and damn proud of it, so mountain hubs only. No roadie-style
    rims, either...I may be on a bike with drop bars, but I gotta fly the flag -
    this is a Surly bike, and something about French rims just doesn't seem
    right. Cheese eatin' surrender monkeys. So, to summarize, first person to
    recommend OpenPros on Ultegra gets shot. All wheel components must be
    available in black, because said color is sort of the motif of the bike -
    everything will be freaking black. It's an evil bike, it is (or will be).
    Above all, I am looking for dependability and durability. The wheels must
    last for years - money is tight for college kids. Weight is not a primary
    concern, because I'm neither stupid nor rich, but I don't want to be pushing
    anything ridiculous. Worst of all, I have about $200 to spend on the pair.
    Maybe a little more. But not much.

    I have been looking at the Deore hubs/Salsa Delgado wheels available in the
    Quality catalog (even if the nipples are silver), but I'm not sure about the
    Deore hubs longevity (I have only put serious mileage on Bontrager hubs.
    Just a coincidence that comes with a couple of Fisher mtbs). How long do
    the Deores last if, say, the bike is chained up outside Susquehanna Hall in
    a thunderstorm? Ridden in snow? Also, I don't know if I should trust
    Quality's "wheelhouse whatever" build program.

    My ideal wheels (within reason) right now are black XT hubs and black brass
    nipples on the Salsa Delgados, or perhaps WTB Speedmaster 700s. I am
    leaning toward the Salsas because, well, I like Salsa stuff. I have no idea
    what spokes are best suited, but cheap and strong are the way to go.

    I know the key to a long-lasting wheel is the build, so I am willing to
    entertain ideas/sales pitches from the wheelgods of this group. Email me
    direct, maybe you'll have a check in a few days.

    So there you go...thanks in advance to the group for any help. And sorry
    about the length, but I'm sick to death of the "I gonna buy a bike and I
    need to know is Trek a good kind or what about MGX they're only like $50"
    posts - too much info is better than not enough.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. chris-<< So my main question is - what do the CXers/commuters/shop
    owners/wheelgods
    of rec.tech recommend? >><BR><BR>

    Deore or XT hubset, overhauled when new. Velocity Fusion, 14/15/3 cross, brass
    nipps and 36h....

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  3. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Chris wrote:
> [...]
    > whatever" build program.
    > My ideal wheels (within reason) right now are black XT hubs and black
    > brass nipples on the Salsa Delgados, or perhaps WTB Speedmaster 700s.
    > I am leaning toward the Salsas because, well, I like Salsa stuff. I
    > have no idea what spokes are best suited, but cheap and strong are the
    > way to go.
    > I know the key to a long-lasting wheel is the build, so I am willing to
    > entertain ideas/sales pitches from the wheelgods of this group. Email me
    > direct, maybe you'll have a check in a few days.
    > So there you go...thanks in advance to the group for any help. And sorry
    > about the length, but I'm sick to death of the "I gonna buy a bike and I
    > need to know is Trek a good kind or what about MGX they're only like
    > $50" posts - too much info is better than not enough.

    Salsa makes good stuff. Velocity Dyad, Bontrager Fairlane (OSB for
    rear), Ritchey Trekking (rear OSB), Sun Rhyno Lite are all good rim
    choices. You may need to paint some models to get black. Spokes should
    be double butted DT, Wheelsmith, or Sapim. Deore, LX, XT are all good
    values. I agree with Peter on packing and precision adjusting the cones.
    They are very well sealed but come with minimal lubrication and cones
    often are not very well adjusted. Many of the XT models come with
    stainless steel ball bearings. You should keep the hubs well
    cleaned/lubed. I suggest 36 spokes especially for the rear. You have it
    correct; the quality of the build is the single biggest issue. I can do
    a set of Bontrager Fairlane with the rear in OSB (offset spoke bed) with
    black LX hubs, but the rims are silver.

    --

  4. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > I know the key to a long-lasting wheel is the build, so I am willing
    > to entertain ideas/sales pitches from the wheelgods of this group.

    I would go with a Rhyno Lite in the rear, just because it's so durable. I
    have had miles and miles of trouble with a crappy rim in the back. Then
    again, I sometimes descend stairs on the road bike for fun.

    Deore hubs are fine - the rubber seals put a little drag on the wheel, but
    I've never seen more than a smidgin of dirt inside the seals. Very well
    sealed and they can spin very smooth when adjusted correctly. All of the
    factory hubs I've used have been too tight from the get go, almost like they
    don't expect us to use quick-releases or something.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > often are not very well adjusted. Many of the XT models come with
    > stainless steel ball bearings. You should keep the hubs well

    Why would you want that? Wouldn't you want harder bearings? SS shouldn't
    matter since the bearings are bathed in grease...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training