CX Nats Report 2003:

Rik Van Diesel

Guest
Some guys rode around in the rain, and got muddy, while RVD heckled them. Page was way faster on the
technical descents (expect when he took the header, that was funny) than anyone else, so I didn't
heckle him at all, because that dude has mad skills. There were a few guys out there in the elite
race who really suck hard, and they got heckled hard. Favorite race comment from the pits. "oh I
can't believe we got pulled… They don't do this in UCI cross races." This was from some clown who
was walking down one of the descents, and would have been lapped 3 times. Oh he was heckled. Did
some good heckling of Adam Meyerson who race two or three times over the weekend, so lots of chances
for heckling, oh and not for riding, but the beard thing. My big disappointment of the weekend was
the no show by Ken Pappy, so I didn't get to heckle him. Which begs the question what kind of bike
fan can't drive an hour to go to see the Nats Cross??

The End

RVD Now a huge cross fan. That is the watching of, not the doing.

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Yup..just what the Sport needs; someone who doesn't race "heckling" someone like Myerson. Even the
> guy walking down the hills has way more balls than a "sideliner"..
>
> Danny Callen ..New Hampshire: Home of the ballsy US Champion!
> > Now a huge cross fan. That is the watching of, not the doing.

Dear RBR Master, Do you want people other than the support crew at the races or not? When people are
at an event cheering and jeering they are frequently referred to as "fans". I think cross is better
off having me there heckling Adam than not. This isn't ice skating or golf, it bike racing. Take the
heckling like a man. Now in regards to people walking their bikes. People came to watch elite rider
race their bikes not walk them, and it wasn't so much a put down (kids read diss) on them not riding
this section of the course, as it was them pretending to "Elite" Cross Racers. Oh and I would have
ridden the course and I don't consider myself and "Elite" cross racer. RVD Doesn't race cross
because it conflicts with the drinking season.

"ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:utsL9.372912$WL3.113608@rwcrnsc54...
> >
> > "Rik Van Diesel" <posting.google.com...
> > > Some guys rode around in the rain, and got muddy, while RVD heckled them. Page was way faster
> > > on the technical descents (expect when he took the header, that was funny) than anyone else,
> > > so I didn't heckle him at all, because that dude has mad skills. There were a few guys out
> > > there in the elite race who really suck hard, and they got heckled hard. Favorite race comment
> > > from the pits. "oh I can't believe we got pulled. They don't do this in UCI cross races." This
> > > was from some clown who was walking down one of the descents, and would have been lapped 3
> > > times. Oh he was heckled. Did some good heckling of Adam Meyerson who race two or three times
> > > over the weekend, so lots of chances for heckling, oh and not for riding, but the beard thing.
> > > My big disappointment of the weekend was the no show by Ken Pappy, so I didn't get to heckle
> > > him. Which begs the question what kind of bike fan can't drive an hour to go to see the Nats
> > > Cross??
> >

> > I gotta give you huge props for the cheering, jeering and just showing up.
> >
> > -Ken
>
> Just showing up does not warrant 'huge props".
>
> Word, Ronde Champ

Huge props for that comment Rob.

Deeznuts

"Deeznuts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "ronde champ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:utsL9.372912$WL3.113608@rwcrnsc54...
> > >
> > > "Rik Van Diesel" <posting.google.com...
heckle
heckled

> > > I gotta give you huge props for the cheering, jeering and just showing up.
> > >
> > > -Ken
> >
> > Just showing up does not warrant 'huge props".
> >
> > Word, Ronde Champ
>

> Huge props for that comment Rob.
>

> Deeznuts

Thanks for noticing. My comment does indeed warrant 'huge props'.

"Mike S." <mikeshaw@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Yup..just what the Sport needs; someone who doesn't race "heckling" someone like Myerson. Even
> > > the guy walking down the hills has way more balls than a "sideliner"..
> >
> > When things are that bad a little heckling can improve your self image
by
> > making you try harder.
> >
> ********! I had a "friend" of mine trying that **** with me during my
first
> ever (!) 'cross race. I was thinking: if I could go any faster, don't you think I would? This is
> all the legs have dammit! Shut the **** up and
let
> me race!

You never know what's going to get someone riled up and racing. One race I was really shot and it
was moving along at a 28+ average. I finally thought, "screw this" and started to pull out when one
of my teammates said, "stay in, you can make it" and with that I caught back on and finished the
race in the group. It was just a little thing but it made a really big difference.

"Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Danny Callen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > Yup..just what the Sport needs; someone who doesn't race "heckling"
> someone
> > > like Myerson. Even the guy walking down the hills has way more balls
> than a
> > > "sideliner"..
> > >
> > > Danny Callen ..New Hampshire: Home of the ballsy US Champion!
> >
> > Dear RBR Master, Do you want people other than the support crew at the races or not? When people
> > are at an event cheering and jeering they are frequently referred to as "fans". I think cross is
> > better off having me there heckling Adam than not. This isn't ice skating or golf, it bike
>
> > racing. Take the heckling like a man. Now in regards to people walking their bikes. People came
> > to watch elite rider race their bikes not walk them, and it wasn't so much a put down (kids read
> > diss) on them not riding this section of the course, as it was them pretending to "Elite" Cross
> > Racers. Oh and I would have ridden the course and I don't consider myself and "Elite" cross
> > racer. RVD Doesn't race cross because it conflicts with the drinking season.
>
> First, I would be the RBR "PRO" Master..let's get that right. If you've
been
> around long enough on RBR, you'll get it; otherwise ask Warren.. You're right in that I would
> rather have you there heckling than not there at all. The last time I did Nats, it was great just
> having people scream
at
> me. Trust me, I'm certain I was getting heckled!!! But I never "walked"! My point is that Cross is
> damn hard and it's funny that anyone who doesn't race cross can even have an "opinion" on
> riding vs. walking or heckling.
All
> you gotta do is race cross once and you'll have a whole new respect for
what
> these guys can do. I'm not a great cross racer and never will be but I
love
> the sport. If you've raced, you know what I'm talking about. If you
haven't
> go do it and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Three cross seasons ago I was in pretty good shape and then at the wrong time in the middle of my
divorce. Last year I was way out of shape frpom having to live on the boat until I got the tenant
out of my house. This year I was in shape and ready and then took a fall and broke a rib. ****, it
obviously ain't never going to happen.

In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > > Danny Callen ..New Hampshire: Home of the ballsy US Champion!
> >
> > Dear RBR Master, Do you want people other than the support crew at the races or not? When people
> > are at an event cheering and jeering they are frequently referred to as "fans". I think cross is
> > better off having me there heckling Adam than not. This isn't ice skating or golf, it bike
>
> > racing. Take the heckling like a man. Now in regards to people walking their bikes. People came
> > to watch elite rider race their bikes not walk them, and it wasn't so much a put down (kids read
> > diss) on them not riding this section of the course, as it was them pretending to "Elite" Cross
> > Racers. Oh and I would have ridden the course and I don't consider myself and "Elite" cross
> > racer. RVD Doesn't race cross because it conflicts with the drinking season.
>
> First, I would be the RBR "PRO" Master..let's get that right. If you've been around long enough on
> RBR, you'll get it; otherwise ask Warren..

Let's see... over 35 years old, races with Cat 3's when not doing masters races, has done more than
100 races but still not a Cat 2, a confessed Dunkin' Donut addict, and from New England where the
masters prizelists are too large. Definitely a Pro Master. But at least he knows how to do 'cross
races on frozen mud with five inches of crunchy white crust over it!

-WG

Tom Kunich wrote:

> You never know what's going to get someone riled up and racing. One race I was really shot and it
> was moving along at a 28+ average. I finally thought, "screw this" and started to pull out when
> one of my teammates said, "stay in, you can make it"

Somebody encouraged you? They must have been out of their minds in oxygen debt or something.

Greg
--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:171220021816284110%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > Dear RBR Master, Do you want people other than the support crew at the races or not? When
> > > people are at an event cheering and jeering they are frequently referred to as "fans". I think
> > > cross is better off having me there heckling Adam than not. This isn't ice skating or golf, it
> > > bike
> >
> > > racing. Take the heckling like a man. Now in regards to people walking their bikes. People
> > > came to watch elite rider race their bikes not walk them, and it wasn't so much a put down
> > > (kids read diss) on them not riding this section of the course, as it was them pretending to
> > > "Elite" Cross Racers. Oh and I would have ridden the course and I don't consider myself and
> > > "Elite" cross racer. RVD Doesn't race cross because it conflicts with the drinking season.
> >
> > First, I would be the RBR "PRO" Master..let's get that right. If you've
been
> > around long enough on RBR, you'll get it; otherwise ask Warren..
>
> Let's see... over 35 years old, races with Cat 3's when not doing masters races, has done more
> than 100 races but still not a Cat 2, a confessed Dunkin' Donut addict, and from New England where
> the masters prizelists are too large. Definitely a Pro Master. But at least he knows how to do
> 'cross races on frozen mud with five inches of crunchy white crust over it!
>
> -WG

Hey wipper-sanpper, I'm over 40 now .....and all those other things you said!

Danny Callen

In article <[email protected]>, G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tom Kunich wrote:
> >

> > You never know what's going to get someone riled up and racing. One race I was really shot and
> > it was moving along at a 28+ average. I finally thought, "screw this" and started to pull out
> > when one of my teammates said, "stay in, you can make it"
>
> Somebody encouraged you? They must have been out of their minds in oxygen debt or something.

A nice thing about racing with women is they tend to offer encouragement to their "fellow" racers.

-WG

In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

> "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:171220021816284110%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > First, I would be the RBR "PRO" Master..let's get that right. If you've
> been
> > > around long enough on RBR, you'll get it; otherwise ask Warren..
> >
> > Let's see... over 35 years old, races with Cat 3's when not doing masters races, has done more
> > than 100 races but still not a Cat 2, a confessed Dunkin' Donut addict, and from New England
> > where the masters prizelists are too large. Definitely a Pro Master. But at least he knows how
> > to do 'cross races on frozen mud with five inches of crunchy white crust over it!
> >
> > -WG
>
> Hey wipper-sanpper, I'm over 40 now .....and all those other things you said!

It's been a long time since this (now) 43yo was called a "wipper-sanpper". What is that? Some kinda
New Hampsha tem?

-WG Make mine a chocolate with chocolate glaze. Wicked good!

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:181220021749143932%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Danny Callen <[email protected]> wrote:

them

> > been
> > >
> > > Let's see... over 35 years old, races with Cat 3's when not doing masters races, has done more
> > > than 100 races but still not a Cat 2, a confessed Dunkin' Donut addict, and from New England
> > > where the masters prizelists are too large. Definitely a Pro Master. But at least he knows how
> > > to do 'cross races on frozen mud with five inches of crunchy white crust over it!
> > >
> > > -WG
> >
> > Hey wipper-sanpper, I'm over 40 now .....and all those other things you said!
>
> It's been a long time since this (now) 43yo was called a "wipper-sanpper". What is that? Some
> kinda New Hampsha tem?
>
> -WG Make mine a chocolate with chocolate glaze. Wicked good!

Nope..that would come from my deep south upbrangin'. Damn it now you made me hungry and I gotta run
to the fridge...

Danny Callen