CX-Ray tension with the Park TM-1?

Mike Reed

Guest
I'm building my first set with bladed spokes. The TM-1 table says the
tool should read 13-14 for 100-110kgf (2.3mm x 0.9mm bladed). I've got
the front up to 10 now, but it's feeling pretty stiff already.

Should I keep going? My TM-1 has maintained accuracy on all my other
wheels, double-checked tonight on a 2-year old wheelset -- it reads
what I build it with.

Mike Reed wrote:
> I'm building my first set with bladed spokes. The TM-1 table says the
> tool should read 13-14 for 100-110kgf (2.3mm x 0.9mm bladed). I've got
> the front up to 10 now, but it's feeling pretty stiff already.
>
> Should I keep going? My TM-1 has maintained accuracy on all my other
> wheels, double-checked tonight on a 2-year old wheelset -- it reads
> what I build it with.

hmmm.
1. do you trust the calibrated instrument, or
2. do you trust a gut feeling?

this is why tensiometers were invented - go ahead and continue
deployment until the job is done. it will give you reliable and
consistent results every time - unlike the other method. use the low
end of the spread if you're still worried.

On Jan 22, 9:36 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Mike Reed wrote:
> > I'm building my first set with bladed spokes. The TM-1 table says the
> > tool should read 13-14 for 100-110kgf (2.3mm x 0.9mm bladed). I've got
> > the front up to 10 now, but it's feeling pretty stiff already.

> > Should I keep going? My TM-1 has maintained accuracy on all my other
> > wheels, double-checked tonight on a 2-year old wheelset -- it reads
> > what I build it with.

> hmmm.
> 1. do you trust the calibrated instrument, or
> 2. do you trust a gut feeling?
>
> this is why tensiometers were invented - go ahead and continue
> deployment until the job is done. it will give you reliable and
> consistent results every time - unlike the other method. use the low
> end of the spread if you're still worried.

lol, yeah, I finished the front off just above the bottom of the
spectrum. The rear I'm taking all the way up.

Mike Reed wrote:
> I'm building my first set with bladed spokes. The TM-1 table says the
> tool should read 13-14 for 100-110kgf (2.3mm x 0.9mm bladed). I've got
> the front up to 10 now, but it's feeling pretty stiff already.

I had thought they were very stiff, I just kept going until the were in
limits and stoppped there.

The CX-ray was used to calibrate the chart. The CX-ray does not
measure 2.3mm by our caliper, but 2.1. The 0.9 was rounded to 1mm.
Use the 2.1 x 1 column on the CX-ray. Again, that was the spoke we
used for that column.

Calvin Jones
Park Tool

Calvin Jones wrote:
> The CX-ray was used to calibrate the chart. The CX-ray does not
> measure 2.3mm by our caliper, but 2.1. The 0.9 was rounded to 1mm.
> Use the 2.1 x 1 column on the CX-ray. Again, that was the spoke we
> used for that column.
>
> Calvin Jones
> Park Tool

good post - great clarification.

On Jan 23, 9:40 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> Calvin Jones wrote:
> > The CX-ray was used to calibrate the chart. The CX-ray does not
> > measure 2.3mm by our caliper, but 2.1. The 0.9 was rounded to 1mm.
> > Use the 2.1 x 1 column on the CX-ray. Again, that was the spoke we
> > used for that column.

> > Calvin Jones
> > Park Tool

> good post - great clarification.

Thanks for letting us know that you approve of the Park Tool rep's
clarification. I must say, that without your confirmation, I would
have ignored Calvin's post. But now, thanks to you, a whole new world
of tension measurement is open to me.

You are the final arbiter of truth!

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> On Jan 23, 9:40 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Calvin Jones wrote:
>>> The CX-ray was used to calibrate the chart. The CX-ray does not
>>> measure 2.3mm by our caliper, but 2.1. The 0.9 was rounded to 1mm.
>>> Use the 2.1 x 1 column on the CX-ray. Again, that was the spoke we
>>> used for that column.
>>> Calvin Jones
>>> Park Tool

>> good post - great clarification.
>>

> Thanks for letting us know that you approve of the Park Tool rep's
> clarification. I must say, that without your confirmation, I would
> have ignored Calvin's post. But now, thanks to you, a whole new world
> of tension measurement is open to me.
>
> You are the final arbiter of truth!

POTW!

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Jan 24, 9:15 am, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote to jim beam:

> You are the final arbiter of truth!

You're confusing jb with JB.( If you write that to Brandt, he'll get a
big cyber-woody.)

D'ohBoy wrote:
> On Jan 23, 9:40 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Calvin Jones wrote:
>>> The CX-ray was used to calibrate the chart. The CX-ray does not
>>> measure 2.3mm by our caliper, but 2.1. The 0.9 was rounded to 1mm.
>>> Use the 2.1 x 1 column on the CX-ray. Again, that was the spoke we
>>> used for that column.
>>> Calvin Jones
>>> Park Tool

>> good post - great clarification.
>>

> Thanks for letting us know that you approve of the Park Tool rep's
> clarification. I must say, that without your confirmation, I would
> have ignored Calvin's post. But now, thanks to you, a whole new world
> of tension measurement is open to me.
>
> You are the final arbiter of truth!

ok, you go ahead and show it to be bogus. buy the offending spoke,
measure, then calibrate your tensiometer using said spoke and the
requisite weights. share your results.

On Jan 24, 9:31 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
> >> good post - great clarification.

> > Thanks for letting us know that you approve of the Park Tool rep's
> > clarification. I must say, that without your confirmation, I would
> > have ignored Calvin's post. But now, thanks to you, a whole new world
> > of tension measurement is open to me.

> > You are the final arbiter of truth!

> ok, you go ahead and show it to be bogus. buy the offending spoke,
> measure, then calibrate your tensiometer using said spoke and the
> requisite weights. share your results.

Dear Jim,

Tsk, tsk, tsk! Your poor reading comprehension is showing. I was
commenting on the total lack of value in your attaboy to Calvin,
through the vehicle of sarcasm. For a primer on this rhetorical
device, I refer you to any number of Bill Sornson's posts, or many of
mine for that matter. What the author does is use hyperbole and irony
to highlight a point. Essentially, they say one thing but mean
another (!). It can be confusing, but the discerning reader will
detect it immediately and interpret it correctly.

BTW, I already accepted the info from the source. Your congratulatory
posting was meaningless, except to highlight your sense of self-
importance. Which was my point.

D'ohBoy, who received the same info from Park in a private e-mail
exchange a year and a half ago....

D'ohBoy wrote:
> On Jan 24, 9:31 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> D'ohBoy wrote:
>>> Thanks for letting us know that you approve of the Park Tool rep's
>>> clarification. I must say, that without your confirmation, I would
>>> have ignored Calvin's post. But now, thanks to you, a whole new world
>>> of tension measurement is open to me.
>>> You are the final arbiter of truth!

>> ok, you go ahead and show it to be bogus. buy the offending spoke,
>> measure, then calibrate your tensiometer using said spoke and the
>> requisite weights. share your results.

> Dear Jim,
>
> Tsk, tsk, tsk! Your poor reading comprehension is showing. I was
> commenting on the total lack of value in your attaboy to Calvin,
> through the vehicle of sarcasm. For a primer on this rhetorical
> device, I refer you to any number of Bill Sornson's posts, or many of
> mine for that matter. What the author does is use hyperbole and irony
> to highlight a point. Essentially, they say one thing but mean
> another (!). It can be confusing, but the discerning reader will
> detect it immediately and interpret it correctly.

hardly - you were just being sarcastic.

> BTW, I already accepted the info from the source. Your congratulatory
> posting was meaningless, except to highlight your sense of self-
> importance. Which was my point.

no, you were being sarcastic. as was i. but i guess you missed that.

> D'ohBoy, who received the same info from Park in a private e-mail
> exchange a year and a half ago....

so wtf didn't you share??? better yet, confirm authenticity!!! jeepers.

In article
<db266d6a-ec74-40bd-b343-a89b770686e2@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>,
"D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jan 24, 9:31 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> > D'ohBoy wrote:

> > > Thanks for letting us know that you approve of the Park Tool rep's
> > > clarification. I must say, that without your confirmation, I would
> > > have ignored Calvin's post. But now, thanks to you, a whole new world
> > > of tension measurement is open to me.

> > > You are the final arbiter of truth!

> > ok, you go ahead and show it to be bogus. buy the offending spoke,
> > measure, then calibrate your tensiometer using said spoke and the
> > requisite weights. share your results.

> Dear Jim,
>
> Tsk, tsk, tsk! Your poor reading comprehension is showing. I was
> commenting on the total lack of value in your attaboy to Calvin,
> through the vehicle of sarcasm. For a primer on this rhetorical
> device, I refer you to any number of Bill Sornson's posts, or many of
> mine for that matter. What the author does is use hyperbole and irony
> to highlight a point. Essentially, they say one thing but mean
> another (!). It can be confusing, but the discerning reader will
> detect it immediately and interpret it correctly.
>
> BTW, I already accepted the info from the source. Your congratulatory
> posting was meaningless, except to highlight your sense of self-
> importance. Which was my point.
>
> D'ohBoy, who received the same info from Park in a private e-mail
> exchange a year and a half ago....

I found this page to be a great help.

<http://www.sarcasmsociety.com/howtobesarcastic/>

--