cxp-30 spoke eyelet inserts?

I've had a pair of Mavic CXP-30 rims hanging in my garage for about 5
years. They have never been built, and I bought them used at a bike
swap meet.

Anwyay I was going to build them up when I heard these rims require
some sort of insert into the spoke holes, which I don't have.

Does anyone know if this is true? And are they available anywhere for
purchase? Seems a shame to scrap such lovely rims.

Thanks,
-Erik

do they not have any insert in there already? All mine came with a sleeve type insert in each hole, which looks similar to the CXP33 sleeve. Similar rims, such as the older Rigida DP18 and Velocity Deep V (I think) have no insert at all, and I still haven't busted those :)

I have a three CXP30s that I use as rear wheels, because they are one of the strongest and stiffest rims ever made, according to some of the bike shop guys around here,but they are heavy, at ~550g per rim.

Nope, the holes are totally empty. Nothing inside, nothing like
cxp-33s. Odd, but true.

I've built several deep-v's up and i the nipple fit is way more loose
on the cxp-30's. Probably too loose to build a wheel...I don't really
know.

I went to my LBS today to ask about them and they did vaugly remember
some "half moon shaped thingies" that fit in the spoke holes to support
the nipples. They had no idea as to how to get ahold of some, though.
Or if it was even possible.

I wonder if I could just use some sort of rubber washer or something...

[email protected] wrote:
> Nope, the holes are totally empty. Nothing inside, nothing like
> cxp-33s. Odd, but true.
>
> I've built several deep-v's up and i the nipple fit is way more loose
> on the cxp-30's. Probably too loose to build a wheel...I don't really
> know.
>
> I went to my LBS today to ask about them and they did vaugly remember
> some "half moon shaped thingies" that fit in the spoke holes to support
> the nipples. They had no idea as to how to get ahold of some, though.
> Or if it was even possible.
>
> I wonder if I could just use some sort of rubber washer or something...

there's no socket at all? they come with one fitted and they don't come
out unless they've been messed with. they're only really there to stop
you losing spoke nipples in the rim hollow. if you can lose them, the
rims are duds because the socket is missing and the hole bottom is not
flat bottomed so you can't use a nipple on its own.

rubber won't work - simply not strong enough.

>I've had a pair of Mavic CXP-30 rims hanging in my garage for about 5
>years. They have never been built, and I bought them used at a bike
>swap meet.
>
>Anwyay I was going to build them up when I heard these rims require
>some sort of insert into the spoke holes, which I don't have.
>
>Does anyone know if this is true? And are they available anywhere for
>purchase? Seems a shame to scrap such lovely rims.

The clinchers should have the inserts in the rim, they have a tubular
retention flange and pop in (and occasionally pop out). The tubulers
apparently have the flanges on the inserts removed, so they're a loose
part. But otherwise, they seem to be compatible.

They *are* lovely rims, I have a pair of 24h rims built up and they're
quite possibly my strongest pair of wheels. They were wonderful to
build, too.

--jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise, John Hood, cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow." He was +usenet@

I should have mentioned these are indeed tubular rims. So that makes
sense. Thanks for the info. I'm still wondering where I'll find the
inserts.

[email protected] wrote:
> I've had a pair of Mavic CXP-30 rims hanging in my garage for about 5
> years. They have never been built, and I bought them used at a bike
> swap meet.
>
> Anwyay I was going to build them up when I heard these rims require
> some sort of insert into the spoke holes, which I don't have.
>
> Does anyone know if this is true?

Yes, need inserts

And are they available anywhere for
> purchase?