CXP33 or Open Pro for my custom wheels

achtervolger

Dec 31, 2005
I've decided to go with some handbuilt wheels, with Record hubs. Most of the places that build them are recommending either CXP33's or Open Pro's. Not knowing jack squat about either of them, can anyone tell me what the difference is and which (if either) they would choose?

I'm 6' 2", 200 lbs, club rider, former racer and occaisional touring cyclist. I'd be using these for every day riding, which often includes some very steep climbs from 4 to 8 miles long of 8 to 15 percent grades.

Thanks! Also, if you have any thoughts on why I should or shouldn't get Chorus instead (I run Chorus 10 on everything else) that would be great, cost differential is not an issue. Or if you have another wheel you'd recommend. Thx.

I have both rims and I weigh ~200lbs. At your weight I recommend the CXP33s -- they're much stiffer than Open Pros, probably stronger, and only 40 to 50g heavier. I hated the rear Open Pro so much that I pulled it to bits a made it into a front wheel. Open Pros look nicer :), and the spoke holes are eyeletted, where the CXP33s have alu sleeves in the spoke holes.

http://www.mavic.com/ewb_pages/r/route.php

achtervolger said:
I've decided to go with some handbuilt wheels, with Record hubs. Most of the places that build them are recommending either CXP33's or Open Pro's. Not knowing jack squat about either of them, can anyone tell me what the difference is and which (if either) they would choose?

I'm 6' 2", 200 lbs, club rider, former racer and occaisional touring cyclist. I'd be using these for every day riding, which often includes some very steep climbs from 4 to 8 miles long of 8 to 15 percent grades.

Thanks! Also, if you have any thoughts on why I should or shouldn't get Chorus instead (I run Chorus 10 on everything else) that would be great, cost differential is not an issue. Or if you have another wheel you'd recommend. Thx.

Between the 2 mavics I agree with the reco to go for the CXP33.

A guy weighing 210lbs, same height and trashes wheelsets (says nothing he has tried before lasted more than 6 months) swear by his American Classic 350's. Apart from being solidly built they are fairly light weighing about 1400grams a pair.

Look also into TOPOLINO's - there are 2 models: the revelation C19 and the revelation V39, the latter being a full carbon rimmed wheel while the former is AL rimmed. The novelty of these beauties is the sweet ride, excellent bearings, unbelievably low weight (about 1100 grams a pair) and heavy rider's who have them swear by their durability. BTW, the spokes are made of Carbon-Kevlar.

hd reynolds said:
A guy weighing 210lbs, same height and trashes wheelsets (says nothing he has tried before lasted more than 6 months) swear by his American Classic 350's. Apart from being solidly built they are fairly light weighing about 1400grams a pair.
I would not recommend the AC350s as everyday wheels for a larger rider. I weigh 140lbs and have had two AC350s fail during races, by themselves, unrelated to crashes. One time one of the rear hub bearings seized, and another the rim simply tacoed under stress on a very steep climb. While AC will build a version for heavier riders, they are (or at least used to be) the lightest alloy clincher wheels on the market, and were pushing the envelope on weight vs. strength; the wheels which failed me were being used as race-only wheels, and I have to believe that daily use would have only accentuated the problems. As a company AC is very rider-oriented and excellent to deal with, but given the original poster's comments about weight and intended use, this is not the wheelset I would recommend. In contrast, both the Mavic OP or CXP33 would work fine (I have heavier friends who have been successful with the OPs) but I would probably go for the CXP33s simply based on the personal experience of the earlier poster in this thread.

hd reynolds said:
I would not recommend the AC350s as everyday wheels for a larger rider. I weigh 140lbs and have had two AC350s fail during races, by themselves, unrelated to crashes. One time one of the rear hub bearings seized, and another the rim simply tacoed under stress on a very steep climb. While AC will build a version for heavier riders, they are (or at least used to be) the lightest alloy clincher wheels on the market, and were pushing the envelope on weight vs. strength; the wheels which failed me were being used as race-only wheels, and I have to believe that daily use would have only accentuated the problems. As a company AC is very rider-oriented and excellent to deal with, but given the original poster's comments about weight and intended use, this is not the wheelset I would recommend. In contrast, both the Mavic OP or CXP33 would work fine (I have heavier friends who have been successful with the OPs) but I would probably go for the CXP33s simply based on the personal experience of the earlier poster in this thread.

Either are good. I am 220#s and get a lot of miles from my Mavic OPs. I have one set that has about 10K miles and haven't broken a spoke nor have had to do more than slightly retrue the wheels at each 2.5K. I went with OPs because of the double steel eyelets and the spoke tension I run. I have built wheels with Chorus and Record hubs and DTSwiss 14/15 double butted spokes 32H and 3X.

Live in Boulder, CO and have an extremely diverst riding conditions from smooth highway roads to corrugated dirt roads. CPX-33s are good also. You will probably be happy with either.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I actually decided to go with some Campy Eurus 2006 after talking to some more people about their reliability. Very much appreciate the advice, and will likely use it for a later purchase.