Cycing Training and Sex Drive



Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
Just a basic question: Can very intensive cycling training lower testosterone levels in the body or decrease sex drive? I did read an article by Peter Winnen the Dutch rider who stated, in his day, pro-riders who pushed themselves to the limit would experience a drop in testosterone levels.
I ask this because I've been training lately with particular intensity and sometimes with my heart in a very high HR zone. On one ride, I burst a small vessel in my bicep that showed up as a kind of bruise after the ride, so I figure I am really notching up the intensity of late.
My performance in cycling has shot up and results starting to show. My climbing has become awesome.
What worries me, however, and I know it sounds odd, but my libido seems to have decreased a lot. As a result I plan to see my doctor. Possibly it has nothing whatsoever to do with the training but I never experienced this before. Has anyone on this forum ever experienced decreased libido while training very hard. Coincidence or lnked? :mad:
 

VaBiker

New Member
Mar 14, 2004
19
0
0
Carrera said:
Just a basic question: Can very intensive cycling training lower testosterone levels in the body or decrease sex drive? I did read an article by Peter Winnen the Dutch rider who stated, in his day, pro-riders who pushed themselves to the limit would experience a drop in testosterone levels.
I ask this because I've been training lately with particular intensity and sometimes with my heart in a very high HR zone. On one ride, I burst a small vessel in my bicep that showed up as a kind of bruise after the ride, so I figure I am really notching up the intensity of late.
My performance in cycling has shot up and results starting to show. My climbing has become awesome.
What worries me, however, and I know it sounds odd, but my libido seems to have decreased a lot. As a result I plan to see my doctor. Possibly it has nothing whatsoever to do with the training but I never experienced this before. Has anyone on this forum ever experienced decreased libido while training very hard. Coincidence or lnked? :mad:
It could be as simple as, if you train so hard to exhaustion "getting busy" tends not to be the "first" thing on your mind. Try to schedule your sex on your "recovery" days and see if there is an improvement. I wouldn't make it a "schedule" so to speak just try to be more amourous on your "off" days. Good luck.
 

Flyer

Banned
Sep 20, 2004
2,961
0
0
You have stumbled onto the root of the doping issue.

While top athletes universally deny it, the fact is that synthetic homones levels are manipulated on a daily basis by today's top riders.

Top athletes and virtually all (100%) of paid athletes supplement testosterone hormones as a method of 'topping off their levels'.

Except they define topping off at a level 5-10 times what a teenager might have organically.

Some Clomid (female hormone) can also help to boost the testosterone supplement.

hCH (female hormone) can be used to 1) mask a T/E test--if urine is ever asked for and 2) to cycle off without too many 'mood swings' when entering into a rest phase (off season reduced stress/load).

This rationale-----that heavy physical stress (weight training, swimming, cardio, cycling, etc..) causes homone levels to drop is why the professionals are addicted to doping:

Testosterone is the first homone to juice, then....

human (or horse if you are Australian) Growth Hormones (EquiGen)

then: Nandrolone, THG,

then insulin/glucose

then corticosteroids for pain abatement

then ephedrine, ridalin, caffeine for stimulation

then EPO for an oxygenation boost

then HBOC for better booast in trauma-like competition

then viagra for time trials

then Prozac, Xanax, alcohol, marijuana for mood management (a la Pantani, Vandenbrocker, Dajka, etc......)

And so on.

Lance Armstrong could not recover from chemo therapy without help from synthetic hormones----nor could he train six days per week, 6 hours a day. His so-called work ethic is 100% fueled by his hormone levels despite what his commercials may suggest.

End of story!
 

lumpy

New Member
Oct 22, 2003
513
2
0
Flyer said:
You have stumbled onto the root of the doping issue.

While top athletes universally deny it, the fact is that synthetic homones levels are manipulated on a daily basis by today's top riders.

Top athletes and virtually all (100%) of paid athletes supplement testosterone hormones as a method of 'topping off their levels'.

Except they define topping off at a level 5-10 times what a teenager might have organically.

Some Clomid (female hormone) can also help to boost the testosterone supplement.

hCH (female hormone) can be used to 1) mask a T/E test--if urine is ever asked for and 2) to cycle off without too many 'mood swings' when entering into a rest phase (off season reduced stress/load).

This rationale-----that heavy physical stress (weight training, swimming, cardio, cycling, etc..) causes homone levels to drop is why the professionals are addicted to doping:

Testosterone is the first homone to juice, then....

human (or horse if you are Australian) Growth Hormones (EquiGen)

then: Nandrolone, THG,

then insulin/glucose

then corticosteroids for pain abatement

then ephedrine, ridalin, caffeine for stimulation

then EPO for an oxygenation boost

then HBOC for better booast in trauma-like competition

then viagra for time trials

then Prozac, Xanax, alcohol, marijuana for mood management (a la Pantani, Vandenbrocker, Dajka, etc......)

And so on.

Lance Armstrong could not recover from chemo therapy without help from synthetic hormones----nor could he train six days per week, 6 hours a day. His so-called work ethic is 100% fueled by his hormone levels despite what his commercials may suggest.

End of story!


Flyer, how does this rant answer the original question? Please stay on topic - his, not yours. It's not polite to hijack threads.

Carrera, it's my understanding heavy cardio workouts can temporarily diminish your test levels but it should bounce back. Heavy leg weight training like squats raise ones test levels. Lack of libido may have nothing to do with your test levels but it's a good idea to have some blood work to assess your test levels. Have an endocronologist (sp) go over it with you.

You could just be simply overtraining.

Sex actually raises your test levels as does peanuts - so take a day off from training, have a PB&J and grab your girl!
 

Catabolic_Jones

New Member
May 5, 2005
390
0
0
I generally find that hard training increases my test levels; however, I'm *very* careful in how I manipulate my intensity over the season. I rarely hit more than 3 or 4 intense sessions per week; usually I stay at 2. I've teetered on the brink of overtraining a few times and the sensations were...awful.

I'd suggest that if you pulled back a bit, you'd actually improve *faster* than you are currently progressing.

Anabolism isn't the gold standard in cycling; however, serious decrease in libido should be observed as a possible sign of overreaching / overtraining.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
Carrera said:
Has anyone on this forum ever experienced decreased libido while training very hard. Coincidence or lnked? :mad:
I've never thought it to be hormonally related, but I do become more preoccupied with zones, acronyms, internet training articles, race tactics, bike maintenance, competition, charts and graphs, diet, etc. during periods of intense training or racing. An unknowing observer might interpret this preoccupation as a decreased libido, but I've just figured it was mental focus on another priority. Note that the same thing happens during stressful periods at work, and that it's entirely desire based (ie, there's nothing "mechanically wrong" at these times ;) ).

Do you have a really big ride coming up?
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
lumpy said:
Flyer, how does this rant answer the original question? Please stay on topic - his, not yours. It's not polite to hijack threads.
Flyer huh? Yeah, that was a 'flyer' if I ever saw one... :rolleyes:
 

mises

New Member
May 27, 2005
247
0
0
As long as you stay away from overtraining high intensity will increase both HGH and testosterone levels, and don't forget a nap (though italian law may prohibit it).

Too much lower intensity long duration will decrease the same hormones.

With good timing of an exhaustive effort and sex you can get just the right point so your body can't quite decide whether it should be more focused on survival or sex and you can last forever (with adequate fuel, otherwise survival may embarassingly win midway).
 

Carrera

New Member
Feb 2, 2004
4,856
0
0
55
My intensity days are mind-boggling and short. I also do longer, endurance work that's still hard but quite possible to sustain.
I agree with you that squats seem to raise testosterone, especially higher reps. I know this because I used to get loads of spots when I squatted hard (like teens do).
However, I don't squat like that any more and just do a medium weights session once a week.
I have no idea why the old sex drive has slumped. Granted I'm no longer a very young man and turned 40 last year. I suspect that possibly I do a a lot of hard work for a guy my age and, with night shifts thrown in, just maybe my body is suffering some sort of imbalance. I was curious if other athletes had experienced anything similar and, sure, I'll have a chat with the doctor to possibly check out my testosterone level.
Specifically, I'd like to know whether very intense cardio work would effect libido in athletes? Any scientific evidence to do with this?

lumpy said:
Flyer, how does this rant answer the original question? Please stay on topic - his, not yours. It's not polite to hijack threads.

Carrera, it's my understanding heavy cardio workouts can temporarily diminish your test levels but it should bounce back. Heavy leg weight training like squats raise ones test levels. Lack of libido may have nothing to do with your test levels but it's a good idea to have some blood work to assess your test levels. Have an endocronologist (sp) go over it with you.

You could just be simply overtraining.

Sex actually raises your test levels as does peanuts - so take a day off from training, have a PB&J and grab your girl!
 

Flyer

Banned
Sep 20, 2004
2,961
0
0
Nor is it polite to act presumptuous and disrepectful.

My post was 100% on point. Especially, when Carrera's post raised the testosterone question in direct response to remarks made by: Peter Winnen.

Peter Winnen is an admitted performance doper.

When sex-drive questions (performance) are raised on a cycling forums----you can damn well bet that doping supplemention is the solution elite athletes will choose.

If organic solutions are to be sought, Peter Winnen and any other drug addicted professional athlete advice ought to be wholly ignored.

You are not a moderator---and your advice is not helpful to an honest, frank and comprehensive discussion.



lumpy said:
Flyer, how does this rant answer the original question? Please stay on topic - his, not yours. It's not polite to hijack threads.

Carrera, it's my understanding heavy cardio workouts can temporarily diminish your test levels but it should bounce back. Heavy leg weight training like squats raise ones test levels. Lack of libido may have nothing to do with your test levels but it's a good idea to have some blood work to assess your test levels. Have an endocronologist (sp) go over it with you.

You could just be simply overtraining.

Sex actually raises your test levels as does peanuts - so take a day off from training, have a PB&J and grab your girl!
 

Don Shipp

New Member
May 20, 2005
1,007
0
0
64
Carrera said:
My intensity days are mind-boggling and short. I also do longer, endurance work that's still hard but quite possible to sustain.
I agree with you that squats seem to raise testosterone, especially higher reps. I know this because I used to get loads of spots when I squatted hard (like teens do).
However, I don't squat like that any more and just do a medium weights session once a week.
I have no idea why the old sex drive has slumped. Granted I'm no longer a very young man and turned 40 last year. I suspect that possibly I do a a lot of hard work for a guy my age and, with night shifts thrown in, just maybe my body is suffering some sort of imbalance. I was curious if other athletes had experienced anything similar and, sure, I'll have a chat with the doctor to possibly check out my testosterone level.
Specifically, I'd like to know whether very intense cardio work would effect libido in athletes? Any scientific evidence to do with this?
Make sure that you are getting enough sleep. Recovery is as much part of hard training as hard training.
High intensity work-outs temporarily lower testosterone levels, but they go up higher than before during recovery. Winning races will also elevate t levels, and losing races will lower them.
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
Flyer said:
You know Peter Winnen then?

He knows testosterone/clomid.
Well then, if you or Peter have some knowledge that would help the original poster understand whether his high-intensity training is related to his experienced loss of libido, this would be the place to post it.
 

mises

New Member
May 27, 2005
247
0
0
Carrera said:
My intensity days are mind-boggling and short. I also do longer, endurance work that's still hard but quite possible to sustain.
I agree with you that squats seem to raise testosterone, especially higher reps. I know this because I used to get loads of spots when I squatted hard (like teens do).
However, I don't squat like that any more and just do a medium weights session once a week.
I have no idea why the old sex drive has slumped. Granted I'm no longer a very young man and turned 40 last year. I suspect that possibly I do a a lot of hard work for a guy my age and, with night shifts thrown in, just maybe my body is suffering some sort of imbalance. I was curious if other athletes had experienced anything similar and, sure, I'll have a chat with the doctor to possibly check out my testosterone level.
Specifically, I'd like to know whether very intense cardio work would effect libido in athletes? Any scientific evidence to do with this?
The other possibility is it's the 40 something women that are leading to lower sex drive.

Testosterone levels drop more rapidly after the late thirties, but libido is affected by many other factors like stress from job and family, not just exercise. Kids will kill the mood in a hurry.
 

Flyer

Banned
Sep 20, 2004
2,961
0
0
Peter Winnen and his fellow members of the pro peloton use drugs to INCREASE performance.

You may construe that to mean on and off the bicycle.

Keep this in mind next time you read a so-called helpful article from an active pro rider. He is doping and presumable you are not.

His advice is nearly worthless not because he is talented and you are not, rather he has hormone boosts and you do not.

Obviously, your energy levels will tail off quicker and take longer to recharge.

My original post was direct on point here:


You have stumbled onto the root of the doping issue.

While top athletes universally deny it, the fact is that synthetic homones levels are manipulated on a daily basis by today's top riders.

Top athletes and virtually all (100%) of paid athletes supplement testosterone hormones as a method of 'topping off their levels'.

Except they define topping off at a level 5-10 times what a teenager might have organically.

Some Clomid (female hormone) can also help to boost the testosterone supplement.

hCH (female hormone) can be used to 1) mask a T/E test--if urine is ever asked for and 2) to cycle off without too many 'mood swings' when entering into a rest phase (off season reduced stress/load).

This rationale-----that heavy physical stress (weight training, swimming, cardio, cycling, etc..) causes homone levels to drop is why the professionals are addicted to doping:

Testosterone is the first homone to juice, then....

human (or horse if you are Australian) Growth Hormones (EquiGen)

then: Nandrolone, THG,

then insulin/glucose

then corticosteroids for pain abatement

then ephedrine, ridalin, caffeine for stimulation

then EPO for an oxygenation boost

then HBOC for better booast in trauma-like competition

then viagra for time trials

then Prozac, Xanax, alcohol, marijuana for mood management (a la Pantani, Vandenbrocker, Dajka, etc......)

And so on.

Lance Armstrong could not recover from chemo therapy without help from synthetic hormones----nor could he train six days per week, 6 hours a day. His so-called work ethic is 100% fueled by his hormone levels despite what his commercials may suggest.

End of story![/QUOTE]
 

Don Shipp

New Member
May 20, 2005
1,007
0
0
64
Flyer said:
Peter Winnen and his fellow members of the pro peloton use drugs to INCREASE performance.

You may construe that to mean on and off the bicycle.

Keep this in mind next time you read a so-called helpful article from an active pro rider. He is doping and presumable you are not.

His advice is nearly worthless not because he is talented and you are not, rather he has hormone boosts and you do not.

Obviously, your energy levels will tail off quicker and take longer to recharge.

My original post was direct on point here:


End of story!
[/QUOTE]Your contributions are not relevant to the thread.
 

Flyer

Banned
Sep 20, 2004
2,961
0
0
My comments are absolutely relevant when you consider the doper cyclist Peter Winnen wrote the article which motivated Carrerra to post his question.

Nobody appointed you editor.

And your silly comments re: winning promotes testosterone, losing lowers qualifies as a waste of everyones time.

Testosterone creams, pills and injections are the choice of elite athletes.

And yes, it will lead to other doping products.

Have a nice day off.


Your contributions are not relevant to the thread.[/QUOTE]
 

frenchyge

New Member
Apr 3, 2005
4,687
4
0
Flyer said:
Peter Winnen and his fellow members of the pro peloton use drugs to INCREASE performance.

You may construe that to mean on and off the bicycle.
So now the pro peloton have to dope so that they'll be stallions in the sack, too? Man, with that kind of performance pressure it's no wonder they burn out so young. :rolleyes:
 

Don Shipp

New Member
May 20, 2005
1,007
0
0
64
Flyer said:
My comments are absolutely relevant when you consider the doper cyclist Peter Winnen wrote the article which motivated Carrerra to post his question.

Nobody appointed you editor.

And your silly comments re: winning promotes testosterone, losing lowers qualifies as a waste of everyones time.

Testosterone creams, pills and injections are the choice of elite athletes.

And yes, it will lead to other doping products.

Have a nice day off.


Your contributions are not relevant to the thread.
[/QUOTE]
I get the impression that it is Carrerra's own experiences, which you can certainly not assume include doping, which motivated him to post his question.
My remarks may seem silly to you but they are true. Victory elevates (natural) testosterone levels and failure depresses it.
I think that you had better take a day off, you seem a little up tight.
 

lumpy

New Member
Oct 22, 2003
513
2
0
Carrera,
google "Andropause". There is a lot of info out about it.

Interestingly, male test levals and sperm counts have dropped dramaticaly in the "western world" in the last couple of decades. The predominant theory is from all the chemicals we absorb. Turns out many plastics when heated release a estrogen mimicing compound.

Getting your test levels checked is a good idea, and while your at it, do a PSA (prostate specific antigen) and cholesterol.

I don't know about how heavy aerobic activity affects test levels. Perhaps have the blood work done a day after a hard training, then again after a couple days of easy going?

Flyer, we all realize the only thing you can write about is doping in the peloton but I fail to see how your posts are at all relevant to the original query. Perhaps you have some evidence you can share about how the peloton members perform in the sack? Afterall, this thread is about libido, not PED's.