Cycle alarm

Fergus Flanagan

Guest
Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of movement transmit a signal to a
receiver up to 100 metres away? The application would be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover
so that if anyone lifted the cover it would activate.

Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus

--
::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
windows. :::::

This is the closest thing I have found so far. Gonna order one soon.

http://www.cy-curity.com/

Gabe

"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
movement
> transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
would
> be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted the cover it would activate.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus
>
> --
> ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
> windows. :::::

I did see an Advert last week for such an Alarm, but I cannot remember who had it. (helpful arn't I)
The one I saw had the transmitter stuck under a DF seat and the alarm looked like a Walkman radio.
Believe it had a 120 Db. alarm and was activated (either by someone touching the bike..or getting
too near the bike...although I could not figure how the latter worked. Thought what if a Squirrel or
birds or dogs ran passed the bike you'd be running to your bike all the time.

You could just attach a Rape Alarm to a bungee cord on the tarp. A person lifts the tarp, pulling a
pin from the alarm and setting off a 110 Db alarm. These Rape alarms are like under $10.00. I had
used them on TREK Mtbs and they worked just fine.
------------
"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
movement
> transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
would
> be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted the cover it would activate.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus
>
> --
> ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
> windows. :::::

Yeah, this is the unit I was trying to remember, although I was looking at the Chinese version for
export. Seem to remember the price being an awful lot below $49.95, but you'd need to order a case
at a time....like everything else. If the Alarm worked, it would be an excellent product for bents.
Not so much for an Anti-Theft use, but as an Anti-Vandalism device.
"bentnut" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> This is the closest thing I have found so far. Gonna order one soon.
>
> http://www.cy-curity.com/
>
> Gabe
>
> "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
> movement
> > transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
> would
> > be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted the cover it would
> > activate.
> >
> > Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus
> >
> > --
> > ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of
car
> > windows. :::::

These sound (pun intended!) like a good idea but would like to see a device where the user is
alerted by a key fob as I can imagine false alarms really annoying the neighbours.

Fergus

> I did see an Advert last week for such an Alarm, but I cannot remember who had it. (helpful arn't
> I) The one I saw had the transmitter stuck under a
DF
> seat and the alarm looked like a Walkman radio. Believe it had a 120 Db. alarm and was activated
> (either by someone touching the bike..or getting
too
> near the bike...although I could not figure how the latter worked. Thought what if a Squirrel or
> birds or dogs ran passed the bike you'd be running
> your bike all the time.
>
> You could just attach a Rape Alarm to a bungee cord on the tarp. A person lifts the tarp, pulling
> a pin from the alarm and setting off a 110 Db
alarm.
> These Rape alarms are like under $10.00. I had used them on TREK Mtbs and they worked just fine.
> ------------
> "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
> movement
> > transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
> would
> > be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted the cover it would
> > activate.
> >
> > Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus
> >
> > --
> > ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of
car
> > windows. :::::

I was hoping that alarm activated the remote control. The problem with bike alarms, no matter how
loud, is that no one pays attention to them.

My friend saw a bike theif cut loose a bike, the alarm went off, so the theif calmly turned the bike
upside down & smashed the alarm... then walked away carrying the bike to his car. Not a single
person bothered to look at the license plate number.

news:<[email protected]>...

Michael Perry wrote:
> I was hoping that alarm activated the remote control. The problem with bike alarms, no matter how
> loud, is that no one pays attention to them.
>
> My friend saw a bike theif cut loose a bike, the alarm went off, so the theif calmly turned the
> bike upside down & smashed the alarm... then walked away carrying the bike to his car. Not a
> single person bothered to look at the license plate number.

What did your friend have to say for himself?

Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > My friend saw a bike theif cut loose a bike, the alarm went off, so the theif calmly turned the
> > bike upside down & smashed the alarm...
>
> What did your friend have to say for himself?

He was inside the store, watching through the glass.

I would like a security system such as the one portrayed in that old B class movie "The Wizard of
Speed and Time". Anyone familar with this flick remembers the long line of disinterested passers-by
that were trapped in its electrical hold until released by the owner. Of course nothing like that
really exists. And think of the liability issues. Better just to carry your bike with you and store
it where you can keep your eyes on it.

Michael Blomquist '99 VR40 LWB/USS Tucson Arizona

"Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of
movement
> transmit a signal to a receiver up to 100 metres away? The application
would
> be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover so that if anyone lifted the cover it would activate.
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus
>
> --
> ::::: Only riders understand why dogs love to stick their heads out of car
> windows. :::::

[email protected] (Michael Perry) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Paul Bruneau <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > > My friend saw a bike theif cut loose a bike, the alarm went off, so the theif calmly turned
> > > the bike upside down & smashed the alarm...
> >
> > What did your friend have to say for himself?
>
> He was inside the store, watching through the glass.

And he decline to get involved because.............?

R.White wrote:

> And he decline to get involved because.............?

That's what I was wondering. Frankly, it sounded like one of those stories to me. I'm
skeptical of it.

Here's my "nicer" story. I was sitting at a drug store lunch counter in Surfside, Florida a few
years ago when I saw a pickup truck suddenly stop right across the street. The passenger jumped out,
grabbed a bike standing in front of a store, tossed it into the back of the truck and the truck sped
south on Collins Avenue toward Miami Beach. I immediately called the cops, gave them the truck
description and license. The cops stopped the truck and arrested the guys. (My bike also was parked
in front of the drug store.)

--
Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> R.White wrote:
>
> > And he decline to get involved because.............?
>
> That's what I was wondering. Frankly, it sounded like one of those stories to me. I'm
> skeptical of it.

"Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Here's my "nicer" story. I was sitting at a drug store lunch counter in Surfside, Florida a few
> years ago when I saw a pickup truck suddenly stop right across the street. The passenger jumped
> out, grabbed a bike standing in front of a store, tossed it into the back of the truck and the
> truck sped south on Collins Avenue toward Miami Beach. I immediately called the cops, gave them
> the truck description and license. The cops stopped the truck and arrested the guys. (My bike also
> was parked in front of the drug store.)

Good job Bob. Nice to hear when others get involved.

I've been involved with the apprehension of 3 shoplifters, and 2 hit-and-run drivers. I was also
fortunate when I was the victim of a hit-and-run driver that some others where able to block the car
long enough with their trucks for me to get a plate number.

> Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Paul Bruneau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > R.White wrote:
> >
> > > And he decline to get involved because.............?
> >
> > That's what I was wondering. Frankly, it sounded like one of those stories to me. I'm skeptical
> > of it.

Now you are talking!

[email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
> > He was inside the store, watching through the glass.
>
> And he decline to get involved because.............?

Simple enough... after spending a couple hours finding your books, then another 15+ minutes standing
in line, are you saying you'd dump your purchases and dash outside? I assume, like most days, there
were a dozen or more people in the street.

I was in the same store & saw someone going through bike bags. By the time I could get outside to my
bike, he was half a block away on his bike. I didn't have an alarm.

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:17:59 -0000, "Fergus Flanagan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Would anybody know of a motion sensor which would upon detection of movement transmit a signal to a
>receiver up to 100 metres away? The application would be say attaching the sensor to a cycle cover
>so that if anyone lifted the cover it would activate.
>
>Thanks for any help or suggestions Fergus

The X-10 folks sell an excellent motion detector, called the "eagle eye", and other variants. It is
an infrared detector, so needs only to be mounted NEAR the cycle, and will detect anyone
approaching. Runs for months on 2 AAA batteries. Sends (wireless) signal to receiver of your choice
- unit that alarms, or turns on light, or even starts
VCR. Usually available in sale deals for $29 or less. I have several, used with security camera and
VCR, and can say they are remarkable devices. That said, if you want to use one with a security
camera, I would advise against buying an X-10 camera, unless the area you wish to cover is well
illuminated at night. I have some of X-10's "night" cameras, and, frankly, they are useless at
night. They would only be any good in cojunction with motion detector operated floodlights. I
found Home Sentinal cameras with 0.1 lux sensitivity to be quite good with just the
illumination from a faroff street light, and they incoroporate built-in infrared LED's to
illuminate objects that are close. A web search for X-10 will garner more info, (and saturate
your system with pop-ups). One caveat - your distance requirements may be a limiting factor. I
think the X-10 motion detectors transmit up to thirty feet.