CYCLE APPAREL

BUSTED HUB

Jan 21, 2010
[FONT=&quot]What appeals to you as a cyclist when it comes to the design of cycle apparel? For instance, take the design that is shown. This isn’t a question concerning durability or fit, but rather the looks of a jersey and shorts/bib/skinsuit. If you are on a team obviously all the members have to agree on the style/design of the outfit to fit the image of the team so that they stand out. If you are an individual, however, and you compete, does design matter? And if so, how much would you spend for a custom design as opposed to a store or web-based purchased outfit? This question is also for people who do not compete but who are strictly recreational or like riding in groups. This thread applies to both women and men, professional and non-professional. I'm new in the design field and would like to get some feedback. Thanks so much!
[/FONT]

Reactions: haleylx4
Orange Colonel's Jerseys work just fine...especially when they've been blessed by world ranked cross racers...from Houston, Tx no doubt. :cool:

the thing that catches my eye when looking for shirts and bibs is...

-Clean lines
-an aggresive look
-I like lines that show off/compliment the human form, so accent lines that outline the shape of the abs or designs on the shoulders that accent the delts/traps.
-I PERSONALLY do not like wild outragous designs/colors. I also dont like plain 1 color tops or bottoms either. I always try to look the sport in anything I do, so team jerseys types appeal best to me.

here is an example of my favorite jersey I have....

bianchi10 said:

-Clean lines
-an aggresive look
-I like lines that show off/compliment the human form, so accent lines that outline the shape of the abs or designs on the shoulders that accent the delts/traps.
-I PERSONALLY do not like wild outragous designs/colors. I also dont like plain 1 color tops or bottoms either. I always try to look the sport in anything I do, so team jerseys types appeal best to me.

here is an example of my favorite jersey I have....

That's a cool looking jersey! :cool:

bianchi10 said:

-Clean lines
-an aggresive look
I agree with this stuff. Less is more, really - what catches my eye are clean, simple, strong lines and bold colors. Nothing too busy.

I don't find these necessary; of course my six-pack is more along the lines of a case so I don't want to draw attention to that part of my body.

In the example Bianchi posted, I like the simplicity and strength of the black jersey with red and white lines, and the design on the back is very eye-catching.

The front with the faux abs has a bit too much going on IMO. I'd have fewer lines, maybe just a bigger logo.

I wouldn't pay for an individual custom jersey or bibs. I find that too often, custom can almost be synonymous with ugly. Take century jerseys or jerseys from other charitable or organized rides for example: most of 'em don't seem to make the tasteful cut. They inevitably seem too busy or just downright ugly (jerseys with actual photos on 'em). I tend to like more traditional kit, where traditional is defined by what some of the older companies make...Assos, Giordana, Nalini....Castelli often toes the line between ugly and tasteful, as does Sugoi.

I think most team kit looks fine, with the exception of Rock Racing's offering: it goes beyond ugly and is in fact butt fugly. I definitely don't like kit with faux body elements.

I don't like loose jerseys. Form fitting is better.

I think your Kestrel jerseys look fine, but the other kit, well, not so much.

'Custom' isn't a word that tends to excite me when it comes to kit designs, as I'd rather have a wide selection to find ones that catch my eye than try to imagine exactly what I'd like from scratch.

It's tough to say exactly what my preferences are, but I tend to find that I describe jerseys which I don't like as either too busy or too plain, or as having a theme which doesn't work for me - hokey, cheesy, cartoony, etc. (ie, Rock Racing). Maybe that means I prefer a classic design, but give me a couple colors which complement each other and simple lines which work well with the graphics/logo placement and I'm probably not going to dislike it. Tough to say what's really going to wow me until I see it, but for mass-market design work it might be better to shoot for middle of the road rather than avant garde.

I don't know if I like the design that much but since my name is Alan and I have an ALAN bike...

Depends on the weather. At this point, I'm usually shirtless with shorts. It's hot. In cool temps, I like clothes that make me look like either a homeless wino or a distracted college professor - patched tweed jacket, Walmart hoodie from 10 years ago, Abercrombie jeans with more holes than fabric, 70's-style corduroys - drivers tend to give you more leeway if they think you lost your license due to frequent & massive inebriation or that you're trying to come up with a new approach to quantum physics while riding.

Some of our customers recently went wild with custom designs - animal prints, tartan, hearts, and you know what - they love it!
We see the trend of people being fed up with all same designs/lines, even customers from National teams (which always were asking for conservative designs) are looking for something fresh.

"Depends on the weather. At this point, I'm usually shirtless with shorts. It's hot. In cool temps, I like clothes that make me look like either a homeless wino or a distracted college professor - patched tweed jacket, Walmart hoodie from 10 years ago, Abercrombie jeans with more holes than fabric, 70's-style corduroys - drivers tend to give you more leeway if they think you lost your license due to frequent & massive inebriation or that you're trying to come up with a new approach to quantum physics while riding."

/thread

Thanks! I'll be laughing at the mental pictures all day!

Sorry but I really think that these designs are boring! As a female I would like to see more colors, patterns and the best materials. It was pretty difficult finding nice riding jerseys and shorts since the apparel cycling industry for women doesn't seem to be so developed...be creative and play with colors please!

Interesting post. I like bright solids or two tone dark colors with another brighter color. Fluorescent colors especially so that you are easily seen. White is always a plus whether it's trim, stripes, or panels. I like them to fit right and custom is interesting but affordability is more important. Pants or shorts under $30 is best. I think if they were going to be custom and I had extra money to burn it would be worth it. It can take a long time to find something that fits right so it would be worth it.