Cycle Camping - Quite stupid question

Slark

Guest
What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make
my bike safe on a campsite.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

"Slark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just put
> it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make my
> bike safe on a campsite.

sleep with it in the tent!

pk

On 1 Apr, 08:55, Slark <[email protected]> wrote:
> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make
> my bike safe on a campsite.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

I usually use a length of guyline and some pegs to hold it upright,
and put a saddle cover on in case of rain.
I mainly camp at sites where theft is unlikely. However at the site at
Breen, Somerset, which I will not be using again, I locked it to a
fence and still caught some boys poking at it.

Jon

In message
<50e1376f-764b-40b4-b7ff-54cc12f95d51@a22g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Jon
<[email protected]> writes
>On 1 Apr, 08:55, Slark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
>> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make
>> my bike safe on a campsite.
>>

>I usually use a length of guyline and some pegs to hold it upright,
>and put a saddle cover on in case of rain.

Yup, I tent to do that. if there isn't a handy fence, post etc near the
pitch.

>I mainly camp at sites where theft is unlikely. However at the site at
>Breen, Somerset, which I will not be using again, I locked it to a
>fence and still caught some boys poking at it.

Campsites are pretty safe places, all that stuff left lying around
inside a bit of nylon.

If there is a handy fence etc. then I lock my bike to that really just
because if in the unlikely event was to get stolen it's not covered by
the insurance unless locked to a fixed object
--
Chris French

PK wrote:
> "Slark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
>> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might
>> make my bike safe on a campsite.

> sleep with it in the tent!
>
> pk

Unfortunately, the tent is too small. Especially if there were two bikes!

Graham

--

Jon wrote:
> On 1 Apr, 08:55, Slark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
>> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make
>> my bike safe on a campsite.
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> --
>> aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

> I usually use a length of guyline and some pegs to hold it upright,
> and put a saddle cover on in case of rain.
> I mainly camp at sites where theft is unlikely. However at the site at
> Breen, Somerset, which I will not be using again, I locked it to a
> fence and still caught some boys poking at it.
>
> Jon

Ah - that's a good idea. Thanks.

Graham

--

chris French wrote:
> In message
> <50e1376f-764b-40b4-b7ff-54cc12f95d51@a22g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>, Jon
> <[email protected]> writes
>> On 1 Apr, 08:55, Slark <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
>>> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make
>>> my bike safe on a campsite.
>>>

>> I usually use a length of guyline and some pegs to hold it upright,
>> and put a saddle cover on in case of rain.

> Yup, I tent to do that. if there isn't a handy fence, post etc near the
> pitch.
>
>> I mainly camp at sites where theft is unlikely. However at the site at
>> Breen, Somerset, which I will not be using again, I locked it to a
>> fence and still caught some boys poking at it.

> Campsites are pretty safe places, all that stuff left lying around
> inside a bit of nylon.
>
> If there is a handy fence etc. then I lock my bike to that really just
> because if in the unlikely event was to get stolen it's not covered by
> the insurance unless locked to a fixed object

Many thanks - yes, all sounds very sensible.

Graham

--

archierob wrote:
> Then just remove the front wheels only.

Unfortunately, won't really help in my case.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

"Slark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just put
> it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make my
> bike safe on a campsite.

Lock it to a tree, gate, fence, lamppost, caravan tow bar - there's plenty
of choice.

vernon wrote:
> "Slark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just put
>> it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make my
>> bike safe on a campsite.
>>

> Lock it to a tree, gate, fence, lamppost, caravan tow bar - there's plenty
> of choice.

Yep - it sounds like I'm unduly worrying and it shouldn't be a problem.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 08:55:18 +0100
Slark <[email protected]> wrote:

> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might
> make my bike safe on a campsite.

Methinks you miss the point of cycle camping. Hint: it includes
the freedom to avoid the misery of campsites.

You do carry a lock when touring, don't you? What about when you
stop for a pub/restaurant meal? Or to do some touristing?

--
not me guv

Slark writtificated

> What do people do with their bikes when they are cycle camping - just
> put it under the nearest tree / hedge? I was wondering how I might make
> my bike safe on a campsite.

I'd do as many of the following:

-In tent
-Locked to something immovable
-Wheel removed and locked to frame
-Pedals removed and in tent
-Safe campsite

archierob wrote:
> Then just remove the front wheels only.

Ah - sorry! I've just realised what you meant. Yes, good idea. Thank you.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>

> Unfortunately, the tent is too small. Especially if there were two bikes!
You don't have to be in the tent as well. Get your priorities right.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

On 1 Apr, 10:43, chris French <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Campsites are pretty safe places,  all that stuff left lying around
> inside a bit of nylon.
>
> If there is a handy fence etc. then I lock my bike to that really just
> because if in the unlikely event  was to get stolen it's not covered by
> the insurance unless locked to a fixed object

Yeah, my home insurance covers items away from home, but not if
they're in a car. So I take my valuables out of the locked and
alarmed car and put them in the zipped up nylon tent.

Peter Fox wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the tent is too small. Especially if there were two bikes!

> You don't have to be in the tent as well. Get your priorities right.

Silly me - I wasn't thinking straight. Quite right.

Graham

--
aghillo.blogspot.com <http://aghillo.blogspot.com/>