Cycle carrier

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Graeme, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Hi

    I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a tow-bar. This would appear to
    be the most sturdy solution, and they allow the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have found
    (via a little Googling) two which seem to fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
    http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/htdocs/phollywoodtowbarf64.htm , and
    http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html Has anyone experience of either of these, or about the
    particular manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Ellen G

    Ellen G Guest

    hi Graeme, are you Graeme from ZP? just wondering.....

    anyhow, I have the Hollywood rack. Bought it about 5 years ago and still going strong. It went into
    the trailer hitch on the minivan and now goes into the hitch on the SUV. Holds 4 bikes, you just
    have to stagger the positioning of all the pedals. We had a little bit of rust after a few years but
    my husband just sanded it and repainted. It works and looks as good as new. I've definately gotten
    my money's worth out of it.

    Ellen

    Graeme wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a tow-bar. This would appear
    > to be the most sturdy solution, and they allow the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have
    > found (via a little Googling) two which seem to fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
    > http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/htdocs/phollywoodtowbarf64.htm , and
    > http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html Has anyone experience of either of these, or about the
    > particular manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions? Thanks.

  3. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Thanks for the reply Ellen. Sorry, I'm not the G from ZP (what's ZP?). Are there two versions of
    this, one that attaches to the ball, and another that bolts on (two bolts)? Do you know if there is
    a quick release for the 'bolt on' version?

    "Ellen G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi Graeme, are you Graeme from ZP? just wondering.....
    >
    > anyhow, I have the Hollywood rack. Bought it about 5 years ago and still going strong. It went
    > into the trailer hitch on the minivan and now goes into the hitch on the SUV. Holds 4 bikes, you
    > just have to stagger the positioning of all the pedals. We had a little bit of rust after a few
    > years but my husband just sanded it and repainted. It works and looks as good as new. I've
    > definately gotten my money's worth out of it.
    >
    > Ellen
    >
    > Graeme wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a tow-bar. This would appear
    > > to be the most sturdy solution, and they
    allow
    > > the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have found (via a little Googling) two which seem to
    > > fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
    > > http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/htdocs/phollywoodtowbarf64.htm , and
    > > http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html Has anyone experience of either of these, or about
    > > the particular manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions? Thanks.

  4. Ellen G

    Ellen G Guest

    Graeme wrote:
    > Are there two versions of this, one that attaches to the ball, and another that bolts on (two
    > bolts)? Do you know if there is a quick release for the 'bolt on' version?

    I have no idea if there are other versions available. Both of our hitches are receiver hitches and
    it just slides right in, secured with a large bolt. Doesn't the ball do the same thing? Maybe it has
    to come off to put the bike rack on? Ellen

  5. "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a tow-bar. This would appear
    > to be the most sturdy solution, and they allow the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have
    > found (via a little Googling) two which seem to fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
    > http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/htdocs/phollywoodtowbarf64.htm , and
    > http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html Has anyone experience of either of these, or about the
    > particular manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions? Thanks.

    Apparently the UK and the US are quite different in terms of tow bars. The UK seems to use two bolts
    to bolt on a flat tow bar bracket, but this is unknown in the U.S. where we use the 1.25" or 2"
    square receiver, or a tow ball.

    Anyway, try to go with Thule, rather than Hollywood, if possible.

  6. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Steven M. Scharf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a 4 bike carrier and have seen some which bolt onto a tow-bar. This would appear
    > > to be the most sturdy solution, and they
    allow
    > > the car boot/trunk (saloon) to be opened. I have found (via a little Googling) two which seem to
    > > fit my requirements (in the UK). These are;
    > > http://www.chwhite.btinternet.co.uk/htdocs/phollywoodtowbarf64.htm , and
    > > http://www.roofbox.co.uk/PNBMTB-PNTAr.html Has anyone experience of either of these, or about
    > > the particular manufacturers, or indeed, any other suggestions? Thanks.
    >
    > Apparently the UK and the US are quite different in terms of tow bars. The UK seems to use two
    > bolts to bolt on a flat tow bar bracket, but this is unknown in the U.S. where we use the 1.25" or
    > 2" square receiver, or a tow ball.

    So it would seem.

    > Anyway, try to go with Thule, rather than Hollywood, if possible.

    I've got Thule roof bars + box, but at first glance, they don't seem to offer what I'm looking for
    in a bike carrier (and they're expensive).

  7. Ellen G

    Ellen G Guest

    Graeme wrote:

    > I've got Thule roof bars + box, but at first glance, they don't seem to offer what I'm looking for
    > in a bike carrier (and they're expensive).

    way more bang for the buck with the Hollywood. Ellen

  8. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Ellen G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Graeme wrote:
    > >
    > > I've got Thule roof bars + box, but at first glance, they don't seem to offer what I'm looking
    > > for in a bike carrier (and they're expensive).
    > >

    > way more bang for the buck with the Hollywood. Ellen

    I'd have to agree. Thanks for all of the replies.