Cycle Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee

hello,

I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton, Derbyshire) however I dont really
know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for a few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.

Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
could make it at a reasonable pace (between 11-12mph average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a day
(Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in the evening).

I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!

Lee

Heanor clarion, Derwent velo, Beauvale cc

Im a Beuavale member, we have a good club run every sunday 90% of the time into Derbyshire ending up
at Elton cafe, how ever it is a little faster that 12mph, but we always wait if someperson is
''dropped'' If its not a road /racing club your after try the CTC .. you wont know till you tried
it, fancy meetin up this Sunday let me know..there will be around 6-8 of us out going along Eastwood
bypass, up to Ripley....

let me know

cheeer

D@vo

the bigger the ring the more it hurts

As for lokin silly......we shave our legs, wear lycra, "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hello,
>
> I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton,
Derbyshire)
> however I dont really know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for
a
> few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.
>
> Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
> could make it at a reasonable pace (between
11-12mph
> average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a day (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in
> the evening).
>
> I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!
>
> Lee

"Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Heanor clarion, Derwent velo, Beauvale cc
>
> Im a Beuavale member, we have a good club run every sunday 90% of the time into Derbyshire ending
> up at Elton cafe, how ever it is a little faster that 12mph, but we always wait if someperson is
> ''dropped'' If its not a road /racing club your after try the CTC .. you wont know till you tried
> it, fancy meetin up this Sunday let me know..there will be around 6-8 of us out going along
> Eastwood bypass, up to Ripley....
>
> let me know
>
> cheeer
>
> D@vo
>
>

Quite possibly, ill reply later once ive checked with the boss :)

To be fair, my main concern is that I will be knackered after a short distance and everyone will
hold back for me!

you be surprised........ riding with a group is far easier then alone if your able to ride 16 mile
per day you be shocked to how many miles your able to do we average 50/60 miles on a Sunday..we
could always drop down to alfreton and get you home... it is winter time & time to enjoy the bike
rather than work it.. wind down time after the season...............

I had 2 weeks in Turkey in summer, came back and didnt touch my bike until the friday I done about
20 miles & had a ''stroke''..........lucky enough I was at home when it happend I just sat down and
my eyesight went blur, couldnt string words together etc etc spent 2 days in QMC then didnt touch
bike for another 4 weeks... then like a pratt rode to skeg ..so after 7 weeks of NO milage I rode
120mile to skeg.. silly but true

and why 120 when skeg is only 80..................

My stroke was due to a haemorrhage at the base of my neck , I have had tests, cat scan, mri scan I
lost part of my memory, only silly things,names, phone number, meetings ..have short memory span now
and sometimes my mind goes blank... this happend at lincoln going down the hill..I came to a Island
and ''forgot'' where I was going so turned left stayin on A46.......llolololo... done 22 mile before
comin to my senses I knew I was going the wrong way but done sod all about it... difficult to
explain really unless you have been there

D@vo

the bigger the ring the more it hurts

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
> "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Heanor clarion, Derwent velo, Beauvale cc
> >
> > Im a Beuavale member, we have a good club run every sunday 90% of the
time
> > into Derbyshire ending up at Elton cafe, how ever it is a little faster that 12mph, but we
> > always
wait
> > if someperson is ''dropped'' If its not a road /racing club your after try the CTC .. you wont
> > know till you tried it, fancy meetin up this Sunday let me know..there will be around 6-8 of us
> > out going along Eastwood bypass, up to Ripley....
> >
> > let me know
> >
> > cheeer
> >
> > D@vo
> >
> >
>
>
> Quite possibly, ill reply later once ive checked with the boss :)
>
> To be fair, my main concern is that I will be knackered after a short distance and everyone will
> hold back for me!

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:05:32 -0000, "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote:

>I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton, Derbyshire) however I dont really
>know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for a few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.
>
>Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
>could make it at a reasonable pace (between 11-12mph average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a
>day (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in the evening).
>
>I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!

How about the Alfreton branch of the CTC? Website here:

http://www.buggc.freeserve.co.uk/

Their online diary shows they have a leisurely 25 mile run planned for this Sunday morning.
--

"Bob"

Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
> hello,
>
Derbyshire)
a

Any decent club should let you come along for two or three sessions free of charge -- then you can
make up your mind if its for you.

T

> you be surprised........ riding with a group is far easier then alone if your able to ride 16 mile
> per day you be shocked to how many miles your able to do we average 50/60 miles on a Sunday..we
> could always drop down to alfreton and get you home... it is winter time & time to enjoy the bike
> rather than work it.. wind down time after the season...............

Yes, there is that! What sort of age range is the group?
>
> I had 2 weeks in Turkey in summer, came back and didnt touch my bike until the friday I done about
> 20 miles & had a ''stroke''..........lucky enough I was at
home
> when it happend I just sat down and my eyesight went blur, couldnt string words together
etc
> etc spent 2 days in QMC then didnt touch bike for another 4 weeks... then like
a
> pratt rode to skeg ..so after 7 weeks of NO milage I rode 120mile to skeg..
silly
> but true
>
> and why 120 when skeg is only 80..................

Blimey, that sounds awful, you did well tho on your recovery!

>
> My stroke was due to a haemorrhage at the base of my neck , I have had tests, cat scan, mri scan I
> lost part of my memory, only silly things,names, phone number, meetings ..have short memory span
> now and sometimes my mind goes blank... this happend at lincoln going down the hill..I came to a
> Island and ''forgot'' where I was going so turned left stayin on A46.......llolololo... done 22
> mile before comin to my senses I knew I was going the wrong way but done sod all about it...
> difficult to explain really unless you have been there
>

Yeah, good recovery tho, glad things worked out

Lee wrote:
> I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton, Derbyshire) however I dont really
> know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for a few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.

Reading on your following comments, you mean 'on-road' then? If off-road, I'll be posting details
here later tonight of our Tuesday night off-road rides.Normally for around 1 - 2 hours, pub stop at
the end (if required!). We've also got a few Sundays planned, these are around 3 - 4 hours. Normal
meeting points are around/between Ambergate and Matlock. E-mail me for any more info. The website is
being updated this week, so a few pages are a little 'behind'! Alan.

--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk off-road cycling in the
North Midlands.

Free of charge......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theres no cost to going on a club run for any length of time

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > hello,
> >
> > I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton,
> Derbyshire)
> > however I dont really know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting
for
> a
> > few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.
>
> Any decent club should let you come along for two or three sessions free
of
> charge -- then you can make up your mind if its for you.
>
> T

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:29:55 -0000, Davo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Free of charge......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> theres no cost to going on a club run for any length of time
>

Most clubs do however have membershipo fees, and it is these to which Tony was referring. Clubs
don't mind people coming along to rides/runs/training sessions a handful of times to decide if the
club is for them but they would normally expect someone to join if they planned to continue coming
along regularly.

Colin
--

> hello,
>
Derbyshire)
a
>
> Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
> could make it at a reasonable pace (between
11-12mph
> average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a day (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in
> the evening).
>
> I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!
>
> Lee
>
>
Do you mean the Alfreton CTC or another club?

Over the summer I joined the CTC group for a few of their evening rides, 25-30 miles at a relaxed
pace, although being new to the area the terrain is rather hillier than I am used to. I just turned
up at the appointed meeting place and was made to feel welcome.

Maybe you won't be doing the Skeggy run, but one of the shorter Audaxes would be well within
your grasp.

--
Nigel Randell

"Nigel Randell" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >
> Do you mean the Alfreton CTC or another club?
>

The CTC club

> Over the summer I joined the CTC group for a few of their evening rides, 25-30 miles at a relaxed
> pace, although being new to the area the terrain
is
> rather hillier than I am used to. I just turned up at the appointed
meeting
> place and was made to feel welcome.
>

I may well join in the spring as I have exams to study for which really will take up a lot of my
Sundays - wouldnt be able to offer the commitment at the moment :-(

> Maybe you won't be doing the Skeggy run, but one of the shorter Audaxes would be well within
> your grasp.
>

I fancy the Skeggy run, but maybe in a few months when I am a little more confident in my abilities!

> Free of charge......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> theres no cost to going on a club run for any length of time

OK -- without joining the club.

Without parting with too many spondoolies -- except, of course, to buy the leader a pint.

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
>
> Most clubs do however have membershipo fees, and it is these to which Tony was referring. Clubs
> don't mind people coming along to rides/runs/training sessions a handful of times to decide if the
> club is for them but they would normally expect someone to join if they planned to continue coming
> along regularly.

Plus there are insurance issues. That's what has made us tighten up our rules recently.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.