Cycle Club

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lee, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    hello,

    I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton, Derbyshire) however I dont really
    know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for a few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.

    Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
    could make it at a reasonable pace (between 11-12mph average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a day
    (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in the evening).

    I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. Davo

    Davo Guest

    Heanor clarion, Derwent velo, Beauvale cc

    Im a Beuavale member, we have a good club run every sunday 90% of the time into Derbyshire ending up
    at Elton cafe, how ever it is a little faster that 12mph, but we always wait if someperson is
    ''dropped'' If its not a road /racing club your after try the CTC .. you wont know till you tried
    it, fancy meetin up this Sunday let me know..there will be around 6-8 of us out going along Eastwood
    bypass, up to Ripley....

    let me know

    cheeer

    [email protected]

    the bigger the ring the more it hurts

    As for lokin silly......we shave our legs, wear lycra, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hello,
    >
    > I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton,
    Derbyshire)
    > however I dont really know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for
    > few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.
    >
    > Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
    > could make it at a reasonable pace (between
    11-12mph
    > average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a day (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in
    > the evening).
    >
    > I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!
    >
    > Lee

  3. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Heanor clarion, Derwent velo, Beauvale cc
    >
    > Im a Beuavale member, we have a good club run every sunday 90% of the time into Derbyshire ending
    > up at Elton cafe, how ever it is a little faster that 12mph, but we always wait if someperson is
    > ''dropped'' If its not a road /racing club your after try the CTC .. you wont know till you tried
    > it, fancy meetin up this Sunday let me know..there will be around 6-8 of us out going along
    > Eastwood bypass, up to Ripley....
    >
    > let me know
    >
    > cheeer
    >
    > [email protected]

    Quite possibly, ill reply later once ive checked with the boss :)

    To be fair, my main concern is that I will be knackered after a short distance and everyone will
    hold back for me!

  4. Davo

    Davo Guest

    you be surprised........ riding with a group is far easier then alone if your able to ride 16 mile
    per day you be shocked to how many miles your able to do we average 50/60 miles on a Sunday..we
    could always drop down to alfreton and get you home... it is winter time & time to enjoy the bike
    rather than work it.. wind down time after the season...............

    I had 2 weeks in Turkey in summer, came back and didnt touch my bike until the friday I done about
    20 miles & had a ''stroke''..........lucky enough I was at home when it happend I just sat down and
    my eyesight went blur, couldnt string words together etc etc spent 2 days in QMC then didnt touch
    bike for another 4 weeks... then like a pratt rode to skeg ..so after 7 weeks of NO milage I rode
    120mile to skeg.. silly but true

    and why 120 when skeg is only 80..................

    My stroke was due to a haemorrhage at the base of my neck , I have had tests, cat scan, mri scan I
    lost part of my memory, only silly things,names, phone number, meetings ..have short memory span now
    and sometimes my mind goes blank... this happend at lincoln going down the hill..I came to a Island
    and ''forgot'' where I was going so turned left stayin on A46.......llolololo... done 22 mile before
    comin to my senses I knew I was going the wrong way but done sod all about it... difficult to
    explain really unless you have been there

    [email protected]

    the bigger the ring the more it hurts

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Heanor clarion, Derwent velo, Beauvale cc
    > >
    > > Im a Beuavale member, we have a good club run every sunday 90% of the
    time
    > > into Derbyshire ending up at Elton cafe, how ever it is a little faster that 12mph, but we
    > > always
    wait
    > > if someperson is ''dropped'' If its not a road /racing club your after try the CTC .. you wont
    > > know till you tried it, fancy meetin up this Sunday let me know..there will be around 6-8 of us
    > > out going along Eastwood bypass, up to Ripley....
    > >
    > > let me know
    > >
    > > cheeer
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >

    > Quite possibly, ill reply later once ive checked with the boss :)
    >
    > To be fair, my main concern is that I will be knackered after a short distance and everyone will
    > hold back for me!

  5. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:05:32 -0000, "Lee"
    <[email protected]com> wrote:

    >I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton, Derbyshire) however I dont really
    >know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for a few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.
    >
    >Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
    >could make it at a reasonable pace (between 11-12mph average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a
    >day (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in the evening).
    >
    >I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!

    How about the Alfreton branch of the CTC? Website here:

    http://www.buggc.freeserve.co.uk/

    Their online diary shows they have a leisurely 25 mile run planned for this Sunday morning.
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hello,
    >
    > I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton,
    Derbyshire)
    > however I dont really know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for
    > few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.

    Any decent club should let you come along for two or three sessions free of charge -- then you can
    make up your mind if its for you.

  7. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How about the Alfreton branch of the CTC? Website here:
    >
    > http://www.buggc.freeserve.co.uk/
    >
    > Their online diary shows they have a leisurely 25 mile run planned for this Sunday morning.
    > --
    >
    > "Bob"
    >
    > Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

    Aye, have seen that - will look at it later in depth!

  8. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > you be surprised........ riding with a group is far easier then alone if your able to ride 16 mile
    > per day you be shocked to how many miles your able to do we average 50/60 miles on a Sunday..we
    > could always drop down to alfreton and get you home... it is winter time & time to enjoy the bike
    > rather than work it.. wind down time after the season...............

    Yes, there is that! What sort of age range is the group?

    > I had 2 weeks in Turkey in summer, came back and didnt touch my bike until the friday I done about
    > 20 miles & had a ''stroke''..........lucky enough I was at
    home
    > when it happend I just sat down and my eyesight went blur, couldnt string words together
    etc
    > etc spent 2 days in QMC then didnt touch bike for another 4 weeks... then like
    > pratt rode to skeg ..so after 7 weeks of NO milage I rode 120mile to skeg..
    silly
    > but true
    >
    > and why 120 when skeg is only 80..................

    Blimey, that sounds awful, you did well tho on your recovery!

    > My stroke was due to a haemorrhage at the base of my neck , I have had tests, cat scan, mri scan I
    > lost part of my memory, only silly things,names, phone number, meetings ..have short memory span
    > now and sometimes my mind goes blank... this happend at lincoln going down the hill..I came to a
    > Island and ''forgot'' where I was going so turned left stayin on A46.......llolololo... done 22
    > mile before comin to my senses I knew I was going the wrong way but done sod all about it...
    > difficult to explain really unless you have been there

    Yeah, good recovery tho, glad things worked out

  9. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    Lee wrote:
    > I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton, Derbyshire) however I dont really
    > know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for a few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.

    Reading on your following comments, you mean 'on-road' then? If off-road, I'll be posting details
    here later tonight of our Tuesday night off-road rides.Normally for around 1 - 2 hours, pub stop at
    the end (if required!). We've also got a few Sundays planned, these are around 3 - 4 hours. Normal
    meeting points are around/between Ambergate and Matlock. E-mail me for any more info. The website is
    being updated this week, so a few pages are a little 'behind'! Alan.

    --
    Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by mail. http://www.dvatc.co.uk off-road cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  10. Davo

    Davo Guest

    Free of charge......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    theres no cost to going on a club run for any length of time

    news:[email protected]...

  11. On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:29:55 -0000, Davo <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Free of charge......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > theres no cost to going on a club run for any length of time

    Most clubs do however have membershipo fees, and it is these to which Tony was referring. Clubs
    don't mind people coming along to rides/runs/training sessions a handful of times to decide if the
    club is for them but they would normally expect someone to join if they planned to continue coming
    along regularly.

    Colin
    --

  12. "Lee" <[email protected]com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hello,
    >
    > I THINK im interested in joining the local Cycle Club (Alfreton,
    Derbyshire)
    > however I dont really know what to expect - i mean, ive been commuting for
    > few months, am enjoying it etc. etc.
    >
    > Im certainly not ready to do a sprint to Skeggy and back (i dont think) - how far do you think i
    > could make it at a reasonable pace (between
    11-12mph
    > average) bearing in mind I cycle 16 miles a day (Split into 8 miles in the morning and 8 miles in
    > the evening).
    >
    > I am really quite interested in the club thing provided I wont look silly!
    >
    > Lee

    Do you mean the Alfreton CTC or another club?

    Over the summer I joined the CTC group for a few of their evening rides, 25-30 miles at a relaxed
    pace, although being new to the area the terrain is rather hillier than I am used to. I just turned
    up at the appointed meeting place and was made to feel welcome.

    Maybe you won't be doing the Skeggy run, but one of the shorter Audaxes would be well within
    your grasp.

    --
    Nigel Randell

  13. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Nigel Randell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Do you mean the Alfreton CTC or another club?

    The CTC club

    > Over the summer I joined the CTC group for a few of their evening rides, 25-30 miles at a relaxed
    > pace, although being new to the area the terrain
    is
    > rather hillier than I am used to. I just turned up at the appointed
    meeting
    > place and was made to feel welcome.

    I may well join in the spring as I have exams to study for which really will take up a lot of my
    Sundays - wouldnt be able to offer the commitment at the moment :-(

    > Maybe you won't be doing the Skeggy run, but one of the shorter Audaxes would be well within
    > your grasp.

    I fancy the Skeggy run, but maybe in a few months when I am a little more confident in my abilities!

  14. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Free of charge......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > theres no cost to going on a club run for any length of time

    OK -- without joining the club.

    Without parting with too many spondoolies -- except, of course, to buy the leader a pint.

  15. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    news:eek:[email protected]...

    > Most clubs do however have membershipo fees, and it is these to which Tony was referring. Clubs
    > don't mind people coming along to rides/runs/training sessions a handful of times to decide if the
    > club is for them but they would normally expect someone to join if they planned to continue coming
    > along regularly.

    Plus there are insurance issues. That's what has made us tighten up our rules recently.