cycle Clunk

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Chris Buckley, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. I am having problems with diagnosing the location of a clunk that my bicycle has aquired, i have had
    this problem b4 and have fixed and believe it was 1 of possibly 2 things a loose sealed bottom
    bracket or a pedal bearing.

    i have recently upgraded my groupo to a 9 speed and the clunk has returned. Could someone please
    tell me weither it is most likely to be due the the bottom bracket working itself loose or the
    pedals that can't cope with the presures that are being appllied in top gear ???????

    P.S. it only started after the bie had got wet really wet.

    Tags:

  2. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Chris,

    Have you tightened the bolts on your chain ring?

    Ben

  3. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    mtb clunk usually equals bb problems...

    "Chris buckley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am having problems with diagnosing the location of a clunk that my
    bicycle
    > has aquired, i have had this problem b4 and have fixed and believe it was
    1
    > of possibly 2 things a loose sealed bottom bracket or a pedal bearing.
    >
    > i have recently upgraded my groupo to a 9 speed and the clunk has
    returned.
    > Could someone please tell me weither it is most likely to be due the the bottom bracket working
    > itself loose or the pedals that can't cope with the presures that are being appllied in top
    > gear ???????
    >
    > P.S. it only started after the bie had got wet really wet.

  4. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    It might be coming from your chain ,check to see if you have a stiff link,it will make some loud
    noises. Ben Fox "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chris Buckley wrote:
    > > I am having problems with diagnosing the location of a clunk that my bicycle has aquired, i
    > > have had this problem b4 and have fixed and believe it was 1 of possibly 2 things a loose
    > > sealed bottom bracket or
    > > pedal bearing. i have recently upgraded my groupo to a 9 speed and the clunk has returned.
    > > Could someone please tell me weither it is most likely to be due the the bottom bracket
    > > working itself loose or the pedals that
    can't
    > > cope with the presures that are being appllied in top gear ???????
    > > P.S. it only started after the bie had got wet really wet.
    >
    > Chris,
    >
    > Have you tightened the bolts on your chain ring?
    >
    > Ben

  5. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Oil your pedals. My husband had this "clunking" sensation happen twice. We figured it was b/c of
    some dirt/sand in the pedals as he had fallen over in dirt or sand before each incident. It's worth
    looking into as it's the easier remedy.

    Chere

  6. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Chris,

    Don't leave us hanging, bro. Let us know what you've found!!!

    Ben

    [

    QUOTE]Originally posted by Ben
    Chris,

    Have you tightened the bolts on your chain ring?

    Ben
    [/QUOTE]

  7. Sorry i totally forgot i had posted this mesage, i changed my chain from a 9 speed, to a slightly
    wider 7/8 and the clunk and slip has disappeared, although now i have a slight scrape at the top end
    range of my cassette, other than that the clunk has gone. The chain that iam now using is slightly
    wider and is perfect for the cassette, its slightly worn but the larger chain sits perfectly'doesn't
    slip e.t.c. the new chain is a few links longer than the 9 speed chain. i believe the clunk to have
    originated from the deraileur (Rear Mech) although i wouldn't have guessed since it sounded as if it
    was originating from thet Bottom bracket.

    its turned out that the deraileur was sitting on the 5th cog of the rear cassette, since the
    cassette is slightly worn it was not sitting but slipping over the teeth in higher gears. the 7/8
    speed chain is running smoothly longer so it doesn't get pulled to bang the cassette at the top
    revelution of the crank, who says worn cassettes are fit only for the Bin only..........

    Chris

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Chris,
    >
    > Don't leave us hanging, bro. Let us know what you've found!!!
    >
    > Ben
    >

    > [
    >
    > QUOTE]Originally posted by Ben Chris,
    >
    > Have you tightened the bolts on your chain ring?
    >
    > Ben

  8. I am reliably informed that earlier Shimano 105 Hollowtech chainsets may make a sort of
    clunky-clicky noise due to their not quite seating properly on the splines of the bb axle. This
    probably accounts for the noise my Speedmachine makes when:

    1. the weather is cold, and
    2. the right pedal is at 9 o'clock

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. would that not be due to wear and tear, from a riding the bike with the crank arms not securely
    tightend and the tapers rounded or slightly worn. I used to have a hollow tech that did just that. i
    used to have to take the crank off and hammer the rounded and worn area so that the noise would go
    away. but as you can guess it used to work itself loose occassionally, well got an extra 100miles
    out of it. :)

    > I am reliably informed that earlier Shimano 105 Hollowtech chainsets may make a sort of
    > clunky-clicky noise due to their not quite seating properly on the splines of the bb axle. This
    > probably accounts for the noise my Speedmachine makes when:
    >
    > 1. the weather is cold, and
    > 2. the right pedal is at 9 o'clock
    >
    > Dave Larrington - http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/
    > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. No tapers on this one - it's the splined BB. When I get the chance I'll try greasing the splines,
    but if all else fails I've got an unused chainset and
    b/b lurking in the cupboard...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/