Cycle commuting encouragement - Manchester - great campaign

flyingdutch said:
noice.

evar since my Amsterdam soujourn (and that billboard image reminded me) cant help feeling lanes would be taken and used far better here if coloured, not just outlined in white...

the link in that story:
http://www.loveyourbike.org/
is kinda cool too
(altho they do seem to enjoy a h____t debate :rolleyes: )

It's a hot issue in the UK as at the moment there's no compulsion. There are moves to bring compulsion to the UK and there are a lot of people who don't want that. Australia is frequently cited as an example of why not to have compulsion.

Just about every pro and anti helmet arguement has been thrashed to death on uk.rec.cycling. If you really want to know the ins and outs of the helmet debate just have a trawl through the archives.

PiledHigher said:

The Comms Games washup shall be fascinating to observe, currently riding around the city far more friendly than the usual *beep gasp beep*. PT actually works (ahem, but not if you're on any of the western train lines) but sadly I think this two week experiment, it will back to traffic business as usual. Or will people warm to the idea of a slightly more car-free CBD?

cfsmtb said:
The Comms Games washup shall be fascinating to observe, currently riding around the city far more friendly than the usual *beep gasp beep*. PT actually works (ahem, but not if you're on any of the western train lines) but sadly I think this two week experiment, it will back to traffic business as usual. Or will people warm to the idea of a slightly more car-free CBD?

Glad you've had that experience, but maybe it's just an unfortunate coincidence that this second Comm Games week has been the one which has included two of the more threatening encounters with bully-drivers for me in the inner city... My shnook WRX earlier this week, and today two side-swipes and verbal abuse (my first after 9 years of commuting!) from land cruiser complete with wrap around bull bar... Feeling a little worse for wear!!

Was at least replaced with embarassment later on tonite's ride when a young lass pulled up alongside me at the lights to inform me that my knicks were 'getting a bit transparent'... hmm... self-conscious all the way home... buying new knicks tomorrow... well, at least she was looking at my butt, but wouldn't a quick pinch and an "i see your bum!" have been a better approach? :D

eddiec said:
Was at least replaced with embarassment later on tonite's ride when a young lass pulled up alongside me at the lights to inform me that my knicks were 'getting a bit transparent'... hmm... self-conscious all the way home... buying new knicks tomorrow... well, at least she was looking at my butt, but wouldn't a quick pinch and an "i see your bum!" have been a better approach? :D

Ah yes, I can see lots of bad *date* japes starting here ... :D

cfsmtb said:
You're forgetting one thing - the kiddies are all off skool at the moment. It's always pleasant for those couple of weeks, less mums dropping their precious little princesses off in their 4wds.

The main thing to watch out for at the moment is the tourists who don;t understand hook turns or know where the one way streets are....

flyingdutch said:
done by the Bicycle Alliance of Washington, who's motto is...
"more people cycling more often"
gee that sounds familiar :rolleyes:

Logos and mottos get *borrowed* all the time. ie: Darebin Councils bird logo apparently looks very similar to a minor UK political party.