Cycle commuting newbie

Peter B

Guest
Well, quite some years ago I stated on this NG that when it becomes more
convenient to commute by bike then I shall do so.
And the point has been reached!
After years of having a company car and walking 2 paces from door to car to
door with a 15-20 min commute I then had a temporary job with an 18 mile
commute that took 30 mins on open roads and now have a job that takes 30
minutes to cover circa 7 miles by car.
Today was my inaugral cycle commute - the same route as in the car and
exactly the same time without breaking out in a sweat :)
Far more enjoyable than being stuck queing in a box with the other lemmings!

I've a rack and panniers on order to dispense with the rucksack used today
and reasonably secure bike shed and shower at work (should I break out in a
sweat)

And I actually made use of some bike lanes/shared use paths - quite useful
for getting by the queing motor traffic but as we all know not brilliantly
engineered.

"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, quite some years ago I stated on this NG that when it becomes more
> convenient to commute by bike then I shall do so.
> And the point has been reached!
> After years of having a company car and walking 2 paces from door to car
> to door with a 15-20 min commute I then had a temporary job with an 18
> mile commute that took 30 mins on open roads and now have a job that takes
> 30 minutes to cover circa 7 miles by car.
> Today was my inaugral cycle commute - the same route as in the car and
> exactly the same time without breaking out in a sweat :)
> Far more enjoyable than being stuck queing in a box with the other
> lemmings!

Hooray! Nice one.

cheers,
clive

Peter B wrote:
> Well, quite some years ago I stated on this NG that when it becomes more
> convenient to commute by bike then I shall do so.
> And the point has been reached!

Don't forget you can now do lots of things in your lunch hour that were
previously impossible or difficult. It's a lifestyle thing.

When you've found the more pleasant side routes and the finer weather is
here you'll be doing MMMMiles first thing in the morning, arriving at work
early and 'refreshed'.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

On 27 Feb, 19:24, "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've a rack and panniers on order to dispense with the rucksack used today
> and reasonably secure bike shed and shower at work (should I break out in a
> sweat)

Well done. The sweat may come when the weather warms up a bit, right
now it is just about perfect temperature IMO.

On Feb 28, 8:55 am, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:
> When you've found the more pleasant side routes and the finer weather is
> here you'll be doing MMMMiles first thing in the morning, arriving at work
> early and 'refreshed'.

I'll second that having gone up to 5 miles in the mornings from 1.5 on
a route that heads straight out of town, circles round and then drops
me outside work. Not much longer time wise but much more pleasant
(especially doing the off road route).

You might like to try a route which takes you past colleagues' houses
on your way out and see if you can still arrive before they do - I've
discovered this is a good way to persuade others to consider coming in
by bike!

peter

Peter B wrote:
> Well, quite some years ago I stated on this NG that when it becomes more
> convenient to commute by bike then I shall do so.
> And the point has been reached!
> After years of having a company car and walking 2 paces from door to car to
> door with a 15-20 min commute I then had a temporary job with an 18 mile
> commute that took 30 mins on open roads and now have a job that takes 30
> minutes to cover circa 7 miles by car.
> Today was my inaugral cycle commute - the same route as in the car and
> exactly the same time without breaking out in a sweat :)
> Far more enjoyable than being stuck queing in a box with the other lemmings!
>
> I've a rack and panniers on order to dispense with the rucksack used today
> and reasonably secure bike shed and shower at work (should I break out in a
> sweat)

Could I get you to think about canceling that order?

Cycling is more fun on a responsive bike. Too many commuters burden
themselves with too much clobber they don't need, making their bikes
heavy, slow and awkward. I keep a little cabinet at work full of clean
clothes for if I need to change after commuting (which in summer I
frequently do), but I'm also working hard on developing a wardrobe of
clothes comfortable enough for cycling and smart enough for work. The
outstanding problem, to my surprise, is shoes - I can't find a pair of
SPD type shoes that I consider smart enough for the office.

In my handlebar bag I carry a spare tube, enough tools to change an
inner tube, clean hand wipes and a very lightweight waterproof; for
commuting, you really don't need more. Leave a spare lock at work.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Brooke wrote:
>frequently do), but I'm also working hard on developing a wardrobe of
>clothes comfortable enough for cycling and smart enough for work. The
>outstanding problem, to my surprise, is shoes - I can't find a pair of
>SPD type shoes that I consider smart enough for the office.

http://www.velorution.biz/pret/?p=46 ? Maybe not something you would choose
just as an office shoe, but probably smart enough for many offices.

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Brooke
[email protected] says...

> Cycling is more fun on a responsive bike. Too many commuters burden
> themselves with too much clobber they don't need, making their bikes
> heavy, slow and awkward.

There is pleasure to be gained from cruising along on a nice soft comfy
tourer with a load of luggage, it's just different from sport riding.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:30:02 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In my handlebar bag I carry a spare tube, enough tools to change an
>inner tube, clean hand wipes and a very lightweight waterproof; for
>commuting, you really don't need more.

Except the laptop of course...

Jim.

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Simon Brooke wrote:
>> frequently do), but I'm also working hard on developing a wardrobe of
>> clothes comfortable enough for cycling and smart enough for work. The
>> outstanding problem, to my surprise, is shoes - I can't find a pair of
>> SPD type shoes that I consider smart enough for the office.

> http://www.velorution.biz/pret/?p=46 ? Maybe not something you would choose
> just as an office shoe, but probably smart enough for many offices.

H'mmm... thanks. More to the point, linked from that page, this one...
oh, damn, an all Flash website, why /do/ people do that?

Anyway, go here:
http://www.calzaturemarresi.com/eng/HOME.html

and then click 'Catalogue'; where you will find the 'Eroics' which is
drop-dead gorgeous but only available with a three-bolt sole, and the
'Storica' which is almost as nice and available with a choice of flat,
'MTB' and three-bolt.

Jim Ley wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:30:02 +0000, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In my handlebar bag I carry a spare tube, enough tools to change an
>> inner tube, clean hand wipes and a very lightweight waterproof; for
>> commuting, you really don't need more.

> Except the laptop of course...

There's this new fangled thing that you keep on your keyring and stick
in a USB socket, that carries your files around. Weighs all of three
grammes.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> There's this new fangled thing that you keep on your keyring and stick
> in a USB socket, that carries your files around. Weighs all of three
> grammes.

There's a big difference between "carrying your files around" and
"carrying you computing state around", especially if you're the sort of
person who has emacs with about 50 buffers open permanently and a lisp
image and a web browser with 8 tabs. Needs a laptop which cleanly
suspends-to-disk, obviously, but I'd never use one that can't.

I *have* one of those usb key things on my keyring and still find it
more convenient to stick my 1.3kg laptop in my pannier if I'm going into
the office.

-dan

[email protected] writes:

> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> There's this new fangled thing that you keep on your keyring and
>> stick in a USB socket, that carries your files around. Weighs all
>> of three grammes.

> There's a big difference between "carrying your files around" and
> "carrying you computing state around", especially if you're the
> sort of person who has emacs with about 50 buffers open permanently

M-x desktop-save

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 00:38:56 +0000, [email protected] wrote:

>Simon Brooke wrote:
>> There's this new fangled thing that you keep on your keyring and stick
>> in a USB socket, that carries your files around. Weighs all of three
>> grammes.

>There's a big difference between "carrying your files around" and
>"carrying you computing state around", especially if you're the sort of
>person who has emacs with about 50 buffers open permanently and a lisp
>image and a web browser with 8 tabs. Needs a laptop which cleanly
>suspends-to-disk, obviously, but I'd never use one that can't.

Exactly - and I event just standby on the commute generally not
suspend fully to disk. Obviously in an ideal world I would be able to
commute with just the bike and nothing more - I'd probably even buy a
road bike (although I've now realised I will be buying one sometime
soon after borrowing one in holland)

Given that I need the laptop moved around, it does mean I need to
carry a bit.

Jim.

[email protected] wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> There's this new fangled thing that you keep on your keyring and stick
>> in a USB socket, that carries your files around. Weighs all of three
>> grammes.

> There's a big difference between "carrying your files around" and
> "carrying you computing state around", especially if you're the sort of
> person who has emacs with about 50 buffers open permanently and a lisp
> image and a web browser with 8 tabs. Needs a laptop which cleanly
> suspends-to-disk, obviously, but I'd never use one that can't.
>
> I *have* one of those usb key things on my keyring and still find it
> more convenient to stick my 1.3kg laptop in my pannier if I'm going into
> the office.

This all makes me so happy I have access to Sun Ray at home and the
office. My mobile computing device is just a smart card all
applications just keep running.

--chris

> Peter B wrote:
>> I've a rack and panniers on order to dispense with the rucksack used
>> today and reasonably secure bike shed and shower at work (should I break
>> out in a sweat)

> Could I get you to think about canceling that order?
>
> Cycling is more fun on a responsive bike.

Point taken, thanks Simon.
However, too late! Bags here, rack suffered a SNAFU but being resolved
(don't buy the cheap rack from Wiggle, even if they do recommend it ;-)
I've managed quite well with the rucksack the past 3 days but a colleague
suggested it would get sweaty when the weather warms up, being an off-road
user of Camelbaks I can appreciate his point.
The lock and chain are left at work and I'm being economical with clothing,
not that it's particularly heavy.
The pannier will mostly contain butties when commuting. However, its excess
capacity will prove useful for doing errands with that are currently done
using a car.

I also own a responsive road bike so am with you on that point too.

My commuter is my old Trek alu rigid mountain bike fitted with Panaracer
road tyres, 11-19 cassette, mudguards and lights. Long since amortised :)

Whilst some of the cycle farcilities can be useful for getting ahead of
queing motor traffic many are baffling, suddenly appearing then disappearing
and sometimes leaving you wondering if you're still on a shared use path or
riding on a footpath. Others fizzle out leaving you riding on service roads
that have been made one-way to discourage use as rat-runs - with you riding
the wrong way!

But, the bottom line is that it's still as quick as by car and more
pleasant.

Chris Gerhard wrote:
> This all makes me so happy I have access to Sun Ray at home and the
> office. My mobile computing device is just a smart card all
> applications just keep running.

Let me know when they make one that works in pubs and cafes, won't you?

-dan