Cycle Computer: Sports Instruments

Powderfinger

Feb 11, 2003
Hey a friend of mine that races told me "Polar sucks" and that he uses a Sports Instruments computer / HRM. I didn't get a chance to ask why so I thought i'd ask you guys what you know about other brands besides Polar.

Specifically I'm interested in being able to download the cyclometer info to my computer

If computer downloads/analysis/training diaries are what you want, I haven't seen anything that even comes close to the Polar Precision Performance software you get with the S710.

The other downloadable-HRM-analyser type software I've seen appears to be nowhere near as polished and usable as PPP.

The HRMs themselves do have a few dumb/annoying things about them, but on the whole I have no real issues or things that stick out like a sore thumb.

The units themselves (especially the buttons) seem to be a bit more fragile than you'd expect, but at least the Polar service and support is fantastic (at least here in Australia.)

Did your friend mention why he preferred the Sports Instruments unit over a Polar?