cycle computers

donkey7798

Apr 5, 2004
I am looking for a computer for my road bike. I would like the opinions of the readers here on which model is the best . I don't know how many miles a day I ride and how fast I go, but those are the features I am looking for. I really don't need one that is over loaded with features . I have seen some on ebay for reasonable prices compared to my lbs, any opinions on buying from ebay?? thanks in advance

I used to have the cateye Enduro 8 (avg speed, time, elapsed time, max spd, distance trvld, Odometer,and one other I cannot remember). Great product, connects via cable. I have since then upgraded to the wirelss version...but I also upgraded to a new ride too...
All the other gadgets (cadence/HR/pizza delivery) will cost you...
The enduro should run you about $30 at most.

e
Pizza delivery...maybe it would be worth it....

I would also recommend one with cadence, since your talking a road bike. I don't have one with cadence for my mountain bike as they are just different animals, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I like Cateye as well, and figure you could get by in the $30 USD range.

My basic Cateye has been getting me around fine for the last year, but now being more into the sport and buying a better bike I find myself wanting a new computer.

I definitely want one with heart rate as I think that would be really helpful to monitor.

What does knowing your cadence rate really do for you?

I was checking out the Cateye HR200 DW, which does all the usual jazz, plus heart rate, all wireless. But it doesn't have cadence.

Thoughts?

AWay,

If you'll notice the next time you watch a road race, all those guys/girls will be spinnging at a fairly high cadence (say 90ish). It has to do with keeping yourself consistent while riding and makes for a good gauge of the effort you are putting forth couled with a HRM (obviously, there are plenty of other variables to consider like gearing, hills, etc.). Trying to maintain a consistent cadence without a meter is basically impossible (at least to me).

I have a separate heart rate monitor from the computer as I have more than one bike, plus I'll use it for walking or running or whatever. I did buy a HRM with the capabilities of basic computer functions (speed, distance) that I use for the MTB. I could, if I wanted, add cadence and power to it, but don't really care about it. (I might someday add the cadence, but it's not a priority for me since I have a seperate computer for the road bike).

I know that I've kind of oversimplified it, but hopefully that will help.

thanks for the help guys, what about buying from ebay. any suggestions, I seen some cateyes i am interested in but am hesitant since they are half of the suggested retail

Kleinrider,

I understand how cadence could be important to someone now. For now, as long as my legs feel like their doing something, I know I'm getting something out of it. I don't think I'll opt for the cadence at this point.

I have been debating keeping my current computer though, and just buying a separate HRM. (Nike makes a nice one.) I was just thinking it would be more convenient to have it all simplified and combined into one unit on my handle bars. (versus having to look at my wrist...)

One thing they never mention though is where to buy the chest straps. Cateye's computer doesn't come with a chest strap, but it says sold separately, and then there is no price or description or info about it. No use getting their computer if I can't find their chest strap to go with it...

Originally posted by kleinrider
I would also recommend one with cadence, since your talking a road bike. I don't have one with cadence for my mountain bike as they are just different animals, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I like Cateye as well, and figure you could get by in the $30 USD range.

I couldn't agree more except for one addition. Get one that will display speed AND cadence at the same time. If it doesn't you'll end up watching your speed when your cadence is more important. The cateye astrale ($30US) will do this as will a Shimano flight deck ($100US). If you go for the flightdeck make sure you have shimano compatable levers otherwise you're wasting your money.

Knowing your cadence and keeping it high 80+ isn't hype it'll save your knees ten years from now and you'll last longer on rides. Less lactic buildup.

Originally posted by AWay
I have been debating keeping my current computer though, and just buying a separate HRM.

For anyone considering the HR option, I'd recommend getting a separate HRM as opposed to combining it with the cycling computer.

This way you can use it for any other sport as well.

I have a Polar S520 wrist watch that attaches to my bike. It has the basic speed/trip functions, optional cadence sensor, and is wireless, water proof, etc. Advantage to me is being able to use the HRM for running as well. A Polar cycling watch is a good option if you want to monitor HR for multiple activies.

RC2 - How do you find the S520?

I am considering buying one to incorporate all the cycling functions of my computer with my HRM.

I have heard other cyclists talk about problems like inconsisten speed recording, fallouts, spikes, ec.

How have you found it?