cycle cover

Coach

Guest
are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

cheers
Nick

In article <[email protected]>
Coach <[email protected]> wrote:
> are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

Build it a little shed using something like OSB and roofing felt. Leave
a gap at the bottom to allow air circulation, and fit brackets so you
can hang it off the ground.

"Coach" <[email protected]>typed

> are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

> cheers
> Nick

Don't bother, sorry, your bike's better off in the rain than in a
plastic bag which will:

1) Delay evaporation so bike is wetter for longer.

2) Drench your shoes, trousers and socks when you remove it whenever it
has rained within the last few hours.

3) Keep your bike warm, so speeding the rusting process.

4) Take ages to put on and remove, negating any time saving from cycling.

Put a shower cap or supermarket plastic bag on the saddle so you don't
get a wet behind, spray bike generously with WD40, accept a bit of rust
or keep your bike indoors.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Coach wrote:

> are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

if it has to be a cover then look to motorcycle ones. £30ish buys you a
cotton-like one that breathes & dries out (keeps it clean & allows a
tiny amount of water thru, had one on my motorbike & it was excellent).
More dosh buys you a breathable membrane type.

*Dont* use a non-breathing cover, e.g. a plastic one - it'll hold damp &
condensation on to your bike.

Phil

Response to Rob Morley:
> > are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> > patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.
> >

> Build it a little shed using something like OSB and roofing felt. Leave
> a gap at the bottom to allow air circulation, and fit brackets so you
> can hang it off the ground.

And a basket for the mother-in-law.

(Acksherly she's very nice [apart from the blind spot] and a great cook.
So I don't mean it *really*. Probably.)

--
Mark, UK
"'Michael Gilhaney,' said the Sergeant, 'is an example of a man that is

In article <[email protected]>
Mark McNeill <[email protected]> wrote:
> Response to Rob Morley:
> > > are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> > > patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.
> > >

> > Build it a little shed using something like OSB and roofing felt. Leave
> > a gap at the bottom to allow air circulation, and fit brackets so you
> > can hang it off the ground.

> And a basket for the mother-in-law.
>
> (Acksherly she's very nice [apart from the blind spot] and a great cook.
> So I don't mean it *really*. Probably.)

Make room for a hammock, just in case ...

Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Coach" <[email protected]>typed
>

> > are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> > patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

> > cheers
> > Nick

> Don't bother, sorry, your bike's better off in the rain than in a
> plastic bag which will:

If that`s how you look after a bike i`d hate to see your draining board

> 1) Delay evaporation so bike is wetter for longer.

Have you ever wiped the bike dry after riding in the rain??.....it lasts
ever so much longer .....Duh!!!!.

> 2) Drench your shoes, trousers and socks when you remove it whenever it
> has rained within the last few hours.

Part of the fun!! you don`t dry your bike, why bother drying yourself??,
you`d only get wet again!!

> 3) Keep your bike warm, so speeding the rusting process.

Not after you dry it, give it a wax spray and polish!!!

> 4) Take ages to put on and remove, negating any time saving from cycling.
>
> Put a shower cap or supermarket plastic bag on the saddle so you don't
> get a wet behind,

Time you bought a new bike cover!!.

>spray bike generously with WD40, accept a bit of rust

Yeuch!!!!!

> or keep your bike indoors.

HURRAH!! ....(after following procedure (1) & (3))

Lee....

Coach wrote:
> are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

A shed

"Lee" <[email protected]>typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Coach" <[email protected]>typed
> >

> > > are there any good outdoor cycle covers. I want to keep the bike on the
> > > patio and therefore need a cover. what can you recommend.

> > > cheers
> > > Nick

> > Don't bother, sorry, your bike's better off in the rain than in a
> > plastic bag which will:

> If that`s how you look after a bike i`d hate to see your draining board

Actually, I took a marble with me when I bought a new kitchen sink to
check the draining board *would* drain. I changed my choice when I found
some did not drain...

> > 1) Delay evaporation so bike is wetter for longer.

> Have you ever wiped the bike dry after riding in the rain??.....it lasts
> ever so much longer .....Duh!!!!.

Seldom. I'd have got even wetter. I'm not that much of a masochist.

> > 2) Drench your shoes, trousers and socks when you remove it whenever it
> > has rained within the last few hours.

> Part of the fun!! you don`t dry your bike, why bother drying yourself??,
> you`d only get wet again!!

Yebbut getting wet on the way to work is no fun.

> > 3) Keep your bike warm, so speeding the rusting process.

> Not after you dry it, give it a wax spray and polish!!!

And I'm likely to do this in the pissing rain when I put the bike away,
befire I've had a cup of tea. Yeah right!

> > 4) Take ages to put on and remove, negating any time saving from cycling.
> >
> > Put a shower cap or supermarket plastic bag on the saddle so you don't
> > get a wet behind,

> Time you bought a new bike cover!!.

I have not had one of these abominations for years, but I do recall how
frustrating it was.

Bicycles are now kept in my hall or garage; I'm not an impoverished
student any more, so I have accommdation adequate for my needs.

I once had to keep a bicycle under a tree for a year; it didn't end up
to badly, honestly...

> >spray bike generously with WD40, accept a bit of rust

> Yeuch!!!!!

> > or keep your bike indoors.

> HURRAH!! ....(after following procedure (1) & (3))

Have you actually *used* a plastic bike cover?
They are really so horrid that I can't recommend them.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht twisted the electrons to say:
> 4) Take ages to put on and remove, negating any time saving from cycling.

It takes seconds to get my bike cover off (though it does take somewhat
longer to get it back on I'll grant you). Grab cover at top of seat and
just behind the bottom bracket[1], pull up sharply. Pull hands together
in a semi-circle towards you (so the cover folds roughly in half), and
then stuff the cover between the back wheel of my other bike and the
shead.

Basically it takes longer to unlock my bicycle and put said locks in my
pannier (and then said pannier onto bicycle) than it takes to remove the
cover ...

[1] It's a recumbent, obviously non-darksiders will have to vary their
handholds!

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:45:50 GMT, Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > 1) Delay evaporation so bike is wetter for longer.

> Have you ever wiped the bike dry after riding in the rain??.....it lasts
> ever so much longer .....Duh!!!!.

Have you ever actually used a bike as daily transport rather than as
a toy? It seems not from your replies.

> > 2) Drench your shoes, trousers and socks when you remove it whenever it
> > has rained within the last few hours.

> Part of the fun!!

See above.

> > 3) Keep your bike warm, so speeding the rusting process.

> Not after you dry it, give it a wax spray and polish!!!

See above.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> Have you actually *used* a plastic bike cover?
> They are really so horrid that I can't recommend them.

I've been using a plastic bike cover[1] (fiver from Argos) for the last
6 or 7 years while my bike's locked up at work. I /can/ recommend them.

The biggest difference when I first started using one was that the
frequency with which I had to lube my chain during the winter (assuming
no riding other than commuting) dropped from 2-3 times a week to once
every 2-3 weeks.

[1] Well, actually I'm on my third one. First one was replaced after
developing a hole, second one was replaced after someone evidently
mistook it for rubbish while I was on holiday.

Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>

On 18/10/2006 20:06, Danny Colyer said,

> I've been using a plastic bike cover[1] (fiver from Argos) for the last
> 6 or 7 years while my bike's locked up at work. I /can/ recommend them.

You managed to make three last that long? I buy them a little bit
cheaper than that, but treat them as disposable. 6-8 months of daily
use, I reckon! But yes, I recommend them as well. There is plenty of
airflow around the bike as the cover is stretched over the wheels so
needs no strapping down or anything.

> The biggest difference when I first started using one was that the
> frequency with which I had to lube my chain during the winter (assuming
> no riding other than commuting) dropped from 2-3 times a week to once
> every 2-3 weeks.

Seconded. I think the holes that quickly develop also help with any
condensation problem, and if the holes get too big then I just start
with another :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>
Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> > Have you actually *used* a plastic bike cover?
> > They are really so horrid that I can't recommend them.

> I've been using a plastic bike cover[1] (fiver from Argos) for the last
> 6 or 7 years while my bike's locked up at work. I /can/ recommend them.
>
> The biggest difference when I first started using one was that the
> frequency with which I had to lube my chain during the winter (assuming
> no riding other than commuting) dropped from 2-3 times a week to once
> every 2-3 weeks.

So you'd get nearly as much benefit from a chain cover as a bike cover?

I wrote:
>>The biggest difference when I first started using one was that the
>>frequency with which I had to lube my chain during the winter (assuming
>>no riding other than commuting) dropped from 2-3 times a week to once
>>every 2-3 weeks.

and Rob Morley suggested:
> So you'd get nearly as much benefit from a chain cover as a bike cover?

No, because a chain cover would neither keep my seat dry nor stop birds
from crapping on it.

Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>

In article <[email protected]>
Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I wrote:
> >>The biggest difference when I first started using one was that the
> >>frequency with which I had to lube my chain during the winter (assuming
> >>no riding other than commuting) dropped from 2-3 times a week to once
> >>every 2-3 weeks.

> and Rob Morley suggested:
> > So you'd get nearly as much benefit from a chain cover as a bike cover?

> No, because a chain cover would neither keep my seat dry nor stop birds
> from crapping on it.

That's what the Tesco carrier bag is for.

I wrote:
>>a chain cover would neither keep my seat dry nor stop birds
>>from crapping on it.

and Rob Morley responded:
> That's what the Tesco carrier bag is for.

Do they do them that big? I think I'd have a job getting any size of
carrier bag to fit over my seat as easily or as securely as my lovely
bike cover.

Bristol to Bath by unicycle: <http://www.bristoltobathonaunicycle.co.uk>

> That's what the Tesco carrier bag is for.

Surely any self respecting urc-er would be using either Aldi or Lidl bags?

In article <[email protected]>
Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote:
> > That's what the Tesco carrier bag is for.

> Surely any self respecting urc-er would be using either Aldi or Lidl bags?

You have to pay for Lidl bags :)

In article <[email protected]>
Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I wrote:
> >>a chain cover would neither keep my seat dry nor stop birds
> >>from crapping on it.

> and Rob Morley responded:
> > That's what the Tesco carrier bag is for.

> Do they do them that big? I think I'd have a job getting any size of
> carrier bag to fit over my seat as easily or as securely as my lovely
> bike cover.

Can I take it that you are a downwrong rider then?