Cycle dynamos "declared illegal by EU"

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Call Me Bob, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    What's this guff then?

    On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been declared
    illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds that they go
    out when stationary.

    Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    Bob

  2. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:02:57 +0000 someone who may be Call me Bob <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been declared
    >illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds that they go
    >out when stationary.
    >
    >Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    They are probably confused.

    It is illegal to make a right turn with just a dynamo equipped bike, as the lights will go out.
    There is nothing illegal about dynamo lights. The law appears to ignore standlight equipped
    dynamo lights.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Call me Bob wrote:
    > What's this guff then?

    News to me, but I doubt it is /new/ legislation else I'm sure would have seen it mentioned on
    www.bike-eu.com or Bikebiz - and there's been nowt abowt it.

    ~PB

  4. On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:36:32 +0000, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It is illegal to make a right turn with just a dynamo equipped bike, as the lights will go out.

    I am not sure if this is _illegal_. I know the highway code recommends against the right turn when
    using a dynamo, but that does not make it illegal.

    John " 2.4W Front 0.6W rear" Tomlinson Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  5. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:32:59 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    >So you fit a front & back back-up and are legal again. Hey, given the number of dark cyclists is
    >anyone going to book you for only having lights while moving.
    >
    >Forget it.

    You misunderstand. I'm not worried, the charges have to be a teeny bit more serious before I ring my
    solicitor.

    As it happens I don't use a dynamo on any of my bikes, I posted because the BBC are broadcasting a
    letter relating to cycling which sounded to me like complete guff. I was wondering what the origin
    might have been.

    Bob

  6. Graham

    Graham Guest

    [email protected] (Rory) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > What's this guff then?
    > >
    > > On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been
    > > declared illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds
    > > that they go out when stationary.
    > >
    > > Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    Sounds like rubbish to me (I wouldent believe anything you read on the ceefax letters page, Full of
    daily mail reading europhobic whingers)

    As far as I know the E.U has no juristiction over member states traffic laws and regulations, so the
    letter is complete rubbish.

    The law as far as I understand it is that using a dynamo is perfectly legal so long as you keep to
    the left, and dont stop to turn right in the middle of the road.

    As dynamoes have been used quite safely for many decades I dont see why they should be banned now.
    If anything their safer than battery powered lights because they eliminates the chance of
    batteries failing.

    Graham

  7. Chris Heys

    Chris Heys Guest

    >As far as I know the E.U has no juristiction over member states traffic laws and regulations, so
    >the letter is complete rubbish.

    Agreed. The next 'law' will be that we have to drive on the right. Pah!
    --
    Chris
    ______________________________________

    "I am unique, just like everyone else"

  8. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's this guff then?
    >
    > On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been declared
    > illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds that they go
    > out when stationary.
    >
    > Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    So you fit a front & back back-up and are legal again.

    Hey, given the number of dark cyclists is anyone going to book you for only having lights
    while moving.

    Forget it.

  9. "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What's this guff then?
    >
    > On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been declared
    > illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds that they go
    > out when stationary.
    >
    > Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    Not sure where this comes from originally, but whilst in a Halfrods (it was sunday, all the proper
    bike shops were shut!) I was told by a sales assistant that none of their dynamos came with rear
    lamps because they were illegal because they went out when stopped. I pointed out that this was
    complete unadulterated crap, but he didn't look convinced.

    This is the kind of chinese whisper that gains a life of its own, and although much-repeated, no-one
    who repeats it is able to state an authoritative source.

    > Bob
    > --
    > Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:02:57 +0000, Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been declared
    >illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds that they go
    >out when stationary.

    I think you'll find it's bollocks. The Dutch in particular are huge dynamo users, as are the
    Germans; neither would permit such ill-informed stupidity. Can you say "standlight?"

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What's this guff then?
    >
    > On BBC Ceefax today (letters page, 145) there is a letter claiming that dynamos have been declared
    > illegal by the European Union and can no longer be fitted to UK bikes on the grounds that they go
    > out when stationary.
    >
    > Anyone know where they got this idea from and just what (if any) grain of truth there is in it?

    I'd be surpised if it was true, as there would have been plenty of noise about it from Germany,
    where you *must* have a dynamo powered light on your bicycle (battery-powered lights are only
    allowed for racing-bikes lighter than 11kg). Prob one of them "Eu says bananas have to be
    straight/bent by not more than 24 degrees" tabloid stories...

  12. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:33:44 -0000, "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This is the kind of chinese whisper that gains a life of its own, and although much-repeated,
    >no-one who repeats it is able to state an authoritative source.

    Yus, I expect tomorrow there'll be a letter calling the original correspondent a halfwit and
    correcting him (or her) :eek:)

    Bob

  13. "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > It is illegal to make a right turn with just a dynamo equipped bike, as the lights will go
    > out.........

    If this is the case then it's also illegal to stop at a set of traffic lights whith just a dynamo
    equipped bike for the same reason.

  14. John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote: ( On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:36:32 +0000, David
    Hansen ) <[email protected]> wrote: ( >It is illegal to make a right turn with just a
    dynamo equipped bike, ) >as the lights will go out.
    ( Iam not sure if this is _illegal_. I know the highway code ) recommends against the right turn
    when using a dynamo, but that does ( not make it illegal.

    Does it? I thought the HC just suggested that it might possibly be a bad idea to turn right from the
    middle of the road, whatever the light, which is what it otherwise tells you to do. (Rule 59)

    I seem to see from Schedule 10 of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 that a rear light is
    necessary on unicycles at night. (The formula is "a pedal cycle with less than four wheels".)

  15. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On 13 Jan 2003, Geraint Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I seem to see from Schedule 10 of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 that a rear light
    > is necessary on unicycles at night. (The formula is "a pedal cycle with less than four wheels".)

    Correct. It used to have a different formula and they escaped. Despite not being required to have
    one, when I commuted by unicycle and was out on it at night I had front & rear lights.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  16. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > I seem to see from Schedule 10 of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 that a rear light is
    > necessary on unicycles at night. (The formula is "a pedal cycle with less than four wheels".)

    Yeah, but it's not hard to fit a rear light and it would just be silly to ride at night without
    lights anyway. I've always used lights on the public highway at night or in poor visibility.

    Thomas Paine

  17. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Chris Heys wrote:
    >> As far as I know the E.U has no juristiction over member states traffic laws and regulations, so
    >> the letter is complete rubbish.
    >
    > Agreed. The next 'law' will be that we have to drive on the right. Pah!

    Yeah, and it will be phased in gradually.

    ~PB