Cycle Event Director criminally liable for Competitor's death

Carl Sundquist wrote:
> Wasn't that the Great Mohawk Carpet Classic in New Jersey in 1982?
>
> If so, I thought Jacque Bradley won it.

It is possible that I recalled the wrong race. I'm pretty sure that it was Connie Carpenter who was
diddled out of a big prize from a race around then.

Incidentally, as I recall, the Rug Race prize list was "Winner take all," which was what induced me
to propose the prize list rule that requires big prize lists to be spread out to at least 20 places.
It seems to have functioned reasonably well ever since.

-Les Earnest

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 12:07:43 -0400, Jeff Potter <[email protected]> wrote:

>Snoopy wrote:
>

>> I think as events get 'busier' it is inevitable the cost of safety compliance rises. But I think
>> you make a valid point about the trade off.
>
>Events are far less crowded these days in many cases. It was really cool in the late 70's how
>popular outdoor events and activities were.

I also meant 'busier' in the sense of all the peripheral 'normal' activities that are affected by
the staging of a cycling event. Whereas once you might organize a bike race along a back road and
see one or two farmers cars, these days that same back road might lead to a lake that has been
discovered as a weekend fishing hole by townies. The cycle race organizers then get the SUV brigade
complaining that cyclists shouldn't be allowed along roads along which they like to tow boats for a
weekend away. Even if the bike race is only on one Saturday per year!

>Of course some other events are way bigger.

Possibly they need the critical mass to justify the safety expenditure required.

>I can believe that NZ is a far less $ oriented culture but minimallism will change that soon,
>sadly. Even so there are other cultural weaknesses than $-lust, such a gov't and bureaucratic
>meddling, which I wouldn't be surprised to see NZ have a lot of in places. (A la nationwide helmet
>law in Oz.)

Too late! The helmet law is here already. We weren't too far behind the Ozzies.

>animals can be kept predictably but humans can't tolerate it. Hmmm, I suppose it depends on just
>how stupid and low we can be trained to go. We haven't seen the floor there yet. Give a population
>enough TV, distraction and medication....

Yes you do wonder don't you. Like some of those appliance instructions you get these days.

For example: "Don't iron your clothes while you are still wearing them."

Perhaps cycle race competitors of the future will need an IQ test before showing up at the
starting line?

SNOOPY

--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more details