Cycle for Cancer - Charity Ride

Discussion in 'Cycle for Cancer' started by dannii, Apr 25, 2003.

1. dannii

dannii New Member

Hi All,

On Sunday, 25 May, I will embark on a solo 1,045km journey from Brisbane to Sydney with nothing but the open road and my noble 2 wheeled stead for company.

The Reason?? After being diagnosed with Breast Cancer at the Age of 23, I began to research and experience first hand not only the disease, but the impact that it can have on individuals and their families. Physically, Mentally and Financially .

After experiencing the strain that cancer puts on patients and their loved ones, I could not merely sit back and do nothing. How could I help?

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do to help ease their physical pain. This is done by the wonderful Doctors, Nurses, Therapists and Technicians on a daily basis. As for the mental pressures these people face, all I can do is lend a sympathetic ear and a compassionate heart.

Financially I can help! However, I can not do it alone.

By embarking on this journey I will not only help to raise the profile of this disease and the challenges it brings, but the individuals and organisations that support me.

All proceeds raised will go to aide The Queensland Cancer Fund and The Mater Children's Hospital.

I will be completing my journey over the course of 11 days....this averages about 100km's per day. I decided to keep it short so that 1. I could take advantage of the beautiful coastline scenery, and 2. so that I had time to stop in and meet some people along the way. I currently have 6 primary schools that I will be visiting....Having a little chat to the kids, taking some happy snaps and collecting the money that they have been generously raising for the cause.

I would also like to mention a few people that have helped make this possible for me to achieve....because without them I would not be able to fulfill my mission.....BMD Constructions, Ryders Cyclery - Mt Gravatt and my two wonderful flatmates Aaron and Drew.

I will be using this forum to post daily updates of my journey....... so stay tuned for my daily reports.............

Tags:

2. Roadster

Roadster New Member

I wish you luck on your journey with not many flat tyres.

3. dannii

dannii New Member

thanks Roadster......only six sleeps to go and getting very excited :)

4. leeburg

leeburg New Member

wherever you go..there you are......

5. richardw

richardw Guest

Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid. - Basil King

Enjoy the journey Dannii

:)

6. data biscuit

data biscuit New Member

Dannii,

You're a bit slow to update the last day, but I know you made it.

Brilliant, well done and congratulations.

I was mightily impressed when I first heard you were embarking on this HUUUGGE journey, and (like everyone) have enjoyed reading about the challenges, dramas, sights, pain etc.

You're an amazing girl, that was an incredible achievement, I'd love to do it myself one day. (Can I tag along next year?) I envy you in a way, you KNOW you can do it, I'll always be wondering.

I think cancer picked the wrong person to mess with!

Luv ya Dannii, you are now one of my heroes. (not quite as sought after as an Academy Award, but it means a lot personally)

Now to discuss this problem you have with cows..... :)

Once again, well done.

Wayne

7. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Still waiting for the report on the last day, but by the sound of it you made it! Congrats!!! :cool: You are now the envy of many a cyclist, me included. As I said before "Hats off to you!!!"
    Now please let us know how the last day went and give us some detail about the morning after.

8. leeburg

leeburg New Member

alas I to have been.....patiently waiting for the last report.....with baited breath.......fish I think...how wonderful you made it ......there will be no living with you now.......how quickly the famous forget their loyal public...........see you soon.......the master...wherever you go ther you are.....

9. Lazy legs

Lazy legs New Member

Dannii, I couldn't help but notice a sudden increase in registration from your area round about the time you started with your tour. I think you somehow had something to do with it. :rolleyes:
    Your next big task will be to keep them comming back to the Forums, they don't have to be cyclists to come and vissit you... I mean us, here at the Forums. :D

10. dannii

dannii New Member

Hey thanks Wayne,

Glad you enjoyed following the tour.......I am a little concerned about one comment though.........."can I tag along next year"......what on gods green earth would make me want to do this ever again.....hehehee:D

Seriously though, a lot of people have asked me " where to next year"......not sure if I am going to make this an annual thing or not, but we do have a Townsville office......so you never know
    ;)

11. Chuck-MN

Chuck-MN New Member

Are you aware of the theories of high oxygenation of the body creates a hostile environment for cancer. Some believe this was key to Lance Armstrong's miraculous recovery from
    advanced cancer.. That extended riding is extremely benifical.:)

12. mmckay

mmckay New Member

New to the site. Great to hear this story dannii!

13. hanzproa3

hanzproa3 New Member

I wish you luck on your journey