Cycle Genius vs. EZ1

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dave Clary, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    Greetings!

    Some of you may remember me as the former commanding officer of the Texas P-38 Squadron in Corpus
    Christi. I pretty much gave up cycling a couple years ago (more like three) and sold my Lightning. I
    bought a Rowbike but ended up selling that two. Now I find nagging foot problems are keeping me from
    running/jogging (which is what started me as a hard core cyclist in Berlin in late 80s), so I've
    started riding on a $250 DF around the hood. I have about a six mile route and that's probably as
    much as I'll ever do. But just that six miles produces much discomfort and brings back a longing for
    my P-38. I don't have the cash to do another high end bike, but I am considering getting 'bent
    again. These two machines appear to be what I'm looking for. I saw a CG in my LBS and thought it
    looked pretty interesting with that little bit higher than normal BB for a CLWB; however, doesn't
    seem you can go wrong with an EasyRacer's design. Any opinions out there on these two bikes at their
    base level?

    One other question--beside the hpr-for-sale list, any other good sources for used 'bents?

    Thanks,

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary <--Texas P38 site is still here
    Never Forget: http://www.politicsandprotest.org

    Tags:

  2. Bentheadswb

    Bentheadswb Guest

    Dave, Welcome back! For information on the EZ1 and Cycle Genius, go to
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/

    They have back issues and have tested both models. It would seem that the Cycle Genius was faster,
    more akin to a SWB in feel. A poor mans P-38?

    John H N TX

  3. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 03:15:05 GMT, [email protected] (BentHeadSWB) wrote:

    >Dave, Welcome back! For information on the EZ1 and Cycle Genius, go to
    >http://www.bentrideronline.com/
    >
    >They have back issues and have tested both models. It would seem that the Cycle Genius was faster,
    >more akin to a SWB in feel. A poor mans P-38?
    >
    >John H N TX

    Thanks, John...I'll check it out. Is RCN alive on the 'net as well??

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  4. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > Greetings!
    >
    > Some of you may remember me as the former commanding officer of the Texas P-38 Squadron in Corpus
    > Christi. I pretty much gave up cycling a couple years ago (more like three) and sold my Lightning.
    > I bought a Rowbike but ended up selling that two. Now I find nagging foot problems are keeping me
    > from running/jogging (which is what started me as a hard core cyclist in Berlin in late 80s), so
    > I've started riding on a $250 DF around the hood. I have about a six mile route and that's
    > probably as much as I'll ever do. But just that six miles produces much discomfort and brings back
    > a longing for my P-38. I don't have the cash to do another high end bike, but I am considering
    > getting 'bent again. These two machines appear to be what I'm looking for. I saw a CG in my LBS
    > and thought it looked pretty interesting with that little bit higher than normal BB for a CLWB;
    > however, doesn't seem you can go wrong with an EasyRacer's design. Any opinions out there on these
    > two bikes at their base level?
    >
    > One other question--beside the hpr-for-sale list, any other good sources for used 'bents?

    Dave, You might want to venture up to Houston to visit with Adam and the CG. I think you will find
    the CG comes closer to a performance bike than the EZ-1. The only drawback I find with the CG is the
    seat. Although this has been improved since I last rode a CG. I would recommend the 20X20 models
    (20²)over the 16X20

    As I said 'closer to a performance bike'. The CG is not there yet but it has potential. IMO the EZ-1
    does not. You shoulda kept the P-38.

    Commander, since you have retired from the Squadron, can I have a promotion?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  5. Drrecumbnt

    Drrecumbnt Guest

    RCN is alive and well. We've got a new website with lots of sample material including a full pdf of
    RCN 070 (CG24 review) and an html SC Lite review.

    However, we're still a print newsletter.

    Both the EZ1 and CG are built in the same Taiwan factory and have similar build qualities. The CG
    vs. EZ1 comparison is sort of like the Easy Racer vs. Lightning comparison. While the EZ1 is a
    more forgiving user friendly design, the CG has a higher BB and feels a bit more SWB-like (a SWB
    without a boom).

    Which one a rider prefers would be personal preference.

    CG does offer an equivelant to the SC Lite (alum) in the ALX20 which has dual 20s and disc brakes.

    We've got an ALX20 review coming up in RCN 076 (our next issue)

    Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  6. John Riley

    John Riley New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    Dave (the blast from the past - sure it wasn't Bush or Rumsfeld that brought you out of retirement? They do that. ;-)

    Anyway, if you liked a high BB bike before, The the CG is the one to try. Also consider that it has a full mesh seat. The seat comes with a cushion, but you could try it without. If it works without, I would think that would be a plus in your climate. In any case the seat also seems to resemble more closely the P-38.

    Another P-38 - like option is obviously the Thunderbolt. Might be in the range price-wise too.

    Cheers,
    John Riley
    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  7. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

  8. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 12 Jun 2003 14:49:44 GMT, [email protected] (DrRecumbnt) wrote:

    >RCN is alive and well. We've got a new website with lots of sample material including a full pdf of
    >RCN 070 (CG24 review) and an html SC Lite review.

    Glad to hear it--I'll check it out.

    >Both the EZ1 and CG are built in the same Taiwan factory and have similar build qualities. The CG
    >vs. EZ1 comparison is sort of like the Easy Racer vs. Lightning comparison. While the EZ1 is a
    >more forgiving user friendly design, the CG has a higher BB and feels a bit more SWB-like (a SWB
    >without a boom).

    Well I always wanted to try a GRR as a P-38 owner. The thing is I don't think there are any EZ1s in
    town available for a test drive but I can try out the CG

    Thanks, Bob.

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  9. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On 13 Jun 2003 03:02:50 +0950, John Riley <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Dave (the blast from the past - sure it wasn't Bush or Rumsfeld that brought you out of retirement?
    >They do that. ;-)

    LOL!! BTW, did you remember to turn out the lights before you left GEnie?

    >Anyway, if you liked a high BB bike before, The the CG is the one to try. Also consider that it has
    >a full mesh seat. The seat comes with a cushion, but you could try it without. If it works without,
    >I would think that would be a plus in your climate. In any case the seat also seems to resemble
    >more closely the P-38.
    >
    >Another P-38 - like option is obviously the Thunderbolt. Might be in the range price-wise too.

    My mindset going into this is that performance, other than proper functioning of the mechanics,
    isn't really on my list of priorities for this potential purchase. What I am looking for is:

    1. Comfort
    2. Minimum expense
    3. Comfort
    4. Adequate shifting, braking, etc
    5. Cheap
    6. Comfort

    That about does it. I think the chances that I will return to hard core, 45 mile work commute,
    century-riding cycling is minuscule. I am now a golf addict which takes up my time and money. Like I
    said, I just want to tool around the neighborhood and burn a few calories. I've gone from 253 to 224
    in the last three months or so and want to keep going (that reminds me--is Bill Volk still around?).
    So speed, cornering ability, and that type of performance isn't a big factor. I just want to get in
    a ride without my hands going numb and getting a rolling wedgie.

    I guess one other option is a BikeE. I was never a fan from a strictly aesthetics basis--I just
    didn't care for the way they look. But I received a private email saying there were some out there
    still in boxes at deep discount so I may look at that also.

    Thanks again!

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary Never Forget:
    http://www.politicsandprotest.org

  10. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Dave Clary <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >>(that reminds me--is Bill Volk still around?)

    He posted to the IHPVA mail list last week. Replaced the hardshell seat on his ZOX with a RANS seat.

    John Riley