Cycle Helemts for big heads - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Morgan

Hi folks,

I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a big
head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
really - on road and a bit of off road.

This is my first posting on this group so here goes! Hope you can help.

Regards,

Kev

"Kevin Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300420031831480172%[email protected]...
> Hi folks,
>
> I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
> big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
> really - on road and a bit of off road.

One that fits would seem best ;o

Seriously, I had to try on quite a few before I found something big enough and comfortable enough to
consider. I ended up with a Met. It was the only one that I found that seemed about the same shape
as my bonce.

Now, I don't think I have a particularly large head -- but most I tried seemed designed for pin
heads. Most of the bigger ones seem to be too shallow and rocked about on my head. Others required
constant pain to do up the straps properly.

The Met is OK.

Mind you, it sits on the sideboard most of the time -- even when I'm out on my road bike. I only use
it when doing silly stuff off road.

T

In message <300420031831480172%[email protected]>, Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> writes
>Hi folks,
>
>I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
>big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
>really - on road and a bit of off road.
>
>This is my first posting on this group so here goes! Hope you can help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Kev

I've got a Specialized Air Wave Size L/XL (59-63cm). Current price £24.99 from www.wiggle.co.uk.
Firm fit with lots of adjustment. I've never had any of the problems with the straps, weight etc.
mentioned on www.bikemagic.com despite intensive use in a variety of climates and conditions.
--
Michael MacClancy

Tony W wrote:
> Now, I don't think I have a particularly large head -- but most I tried seemed designed for
> pin heads.

Where can I find those ones? I always have a job finding a decent lid to fit my 56cm head (and I
happen to be in the market for a new one at the moment).

Actually, the problem's not so much finding one the right size as finding one the right shape. I
have a very round head, most helmets seem to be made for people with long thin heads.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:31:51 GMT, Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
>big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
>really - on road and a bit of off road.
>
>This is my first posting on this group so here goes! Hope you can help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Kev

Hi Kev,

I had the same (size shape) problem and ended up spending more than expected but it fitted well.

It's a Bell "Delirium" M/L 59-62cm ..

Very light and airy for the couple of days a year when we get sun here in the UK .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:44:28 -0400, Danny Colyer wrote:

> Tony W wrote:
>> Now, I don't think I have a particularly large head -- but most I tried seemed designed for
>> pin heads.
>
> Where can I find those ones? I always have a job finding a decent lid to fit my 56cm head (and I
> happen to be in the market for a new one at the moment).
>
> Actually, the problem's not so much finding one the right size as finding one the right shape. I
> have a very round head, most helmets seem to be made for people with long thin heads.

My very problem. I just got through trying on every single appropriately sized helmet in a
Performance Bicycle store, and discovered that far and away the best fit was to be found in the
least expensive helmet, a Giro Torrent.

This has a "universal" fit with a ratcheting flexible plastic thing inside the helmet, and only
comes in one size: "adult". Not only does this fit my round head better than any of the others, it
comes with a bonus: it's trivially easy to adjust the helmet for winter wear (balaclavas, etc). Just
push the ratchet things apart, put on head, push the ratchet things together. Giro seems to think it
is a mountain bike helmet because it has a visor ("peak" to you, I think) but frankly I find those
sunshades just as useful on the road as they might be in the forest.

In news:300420031831480172%[email protected], Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> typed:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
> big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
> really - on road and a bit of off road.
>

You need to try on a few. The only thing I have found is that the cheap end of the ranges tend these
days to be unisize and are too small for my head. Try moving up to the price point where they come
in S, M, L and try the large size. They are usually quite a bit bigger. FWIW Giro are the only ones
I've found that fit my head properly but that involves shape and not just size. YMMV

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

Steve Palincsar agreed with me:
> My very problem. I just got through trying on every single appropriately sized helmet in a
> Performance Bicycle store, and discovered that far and away the best fit was to be found in the
> least expensive helmet, a Giro Torrent.

I seem to do well with Giros - that's what my last 2 helmets have been.

> This has a "universal" fit with a ratcheting flexible plastic thing inside the helmet, and only
> comes in one size: "adult".

As did my Giro Skyline. Unfortunately it lasted slightly less than 2 years before the ratchet
mechanism stopped locking and I became unable to get a secure fit.

I tend not to wear a helmet during the summer anyway. This just meant that I stopped wearing it a
couple of months earlier than usual this year. So now I'm looking for another helmet that doesn't
use this mechanism, since I expect a helmet to last me 5 years.

> but frankly I find those sunshades just as useful on the road as they might be in the forest.

I used to think that - before I got bent. A peak makes no difference whatsoever against a low sun
when you're riding a bent :-(

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in news:300420031831480172% [email protected]:

> Trouble is I've got a big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend?

I've never fitted helmets marked "L" or even "XL", I think my current helmet is marked "FH" ;-) My
last couple of helmets have been Giro, I find they fit okay, even with my rather angular skull :-/
They do however seem to sit a little high on my head. Most helmet manufacturers seem not to increase
the depth of the helmet at the same time as increasing the circumference (that includes climbing
helmet manufacturers and probably others).

Have fun!

Graeme

Status
Not open for further replies.