Cycle Helemts for big heads - help!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kevin Morgan, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. Kevin Morgan

    Kevin Morgan Guest

    Hi folks,

    I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a big
    head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
    really - on road and a bit of off road.

    This is my first posting on this group so here goes! Hope you can help.

    Regards,

    Kev

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Kevin Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300420031831480172%[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
    > big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
    > really - on road and a bit of off road.

    One that fits would seem best ;o

    Seriously, I had to try on quite a few before I found something big enough and comfortable enough to
    consider. I ended up with a Met. It was the only one that I found that seemed about the same shape
    as my bonce.

    Now, I don't think I have a particularly large head -- but most I tried seemed designed for pin
    heads. Most of the bigger ones seem to be too shallow and rocked about on my head. Others required
    constant pain to do up the straps properly.

    The Met is OK.

    Mind you, it sits on the sideboard most of the time -- even when I'm out on my road bike. I only use
    it when doing silly stuff off road.

  3. In message <300420031831480172%[email protected]>, Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> writes
    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
    >big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
    >really - on road and a bit of off road.
    >
    >This is my first posting on this group so here goes! Hope you can help.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Kev

    I've got a Specialized Air Wave Size L/XL (59-63cm). Current price £24.99 from www.wiggle.co.uk.
    Firm fit with lots of adjustment. I've never had any of the problems with the straps, weight etc.
    mentioned on www.bikemagic.com despite intensive use in a variety of climates and conditions.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Tony W wrote:
    > Now, I don't think I have a particularly large head -- but most I tried seemed designed for
    > pin heads.

    Where can I find those ones? I always have a job finding a decent lid to fit my 56cm head (and I
    happen to be in the market for a new one at the moment).

    Actually, the problem's not so much finding one the right size as finding one the right shape. I
    have a very round head, most helmets seem to be made for people with long thin heads.

    Thomas Paine

  5. T I M

    T I M Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:31:51 GMT, Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
    >big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
    >really - on road and a bit of off road.
    >
    >This is my first posting on this group so here goes! Hope you can help.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Kev

    Hi Kev,

    I had the same (size shape) problem and ended up spending more than expected but it fitted well.

    It's a Bell "Delirium" M/L 59-62cm ..

    Very light and airy for the couple of days a year when we get sun here in the UK .. ;-)

    All the best ..

    T i m

  6. On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:44:28 -0400, Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Tony W wrote:
    >> Now, I don't think I have a particularly large head -- but most I tried seemed designed for
    >> pin heads.
    >
    > Where can I find those ones? I always have a job finding a decent lid to fit my 56cm head (and I
    > happen to be in the market for a new one at the moment).
    >
    > Actually, the problem's not so much finding one the right size as finding one the right shape. I
    > have a very round head, most helmets seem to be made for people with long thin heads.

    My very problem. I just got through trying on every single appropriately sized helmet in a
    Performance Bicycle store, and discovered that far and away the best fit was to be found in the
    least expensive helmet, a Giro Torrent.

    This has a "universal" fit with a ratcheting flexible plastic thing inside the helmet, and only
    comes in one size: "adult". Not only does this fit my round head better than any of the others, it
    comes with a bonus: it's trivially easy to adjust the helmet for winter wear (balaclavas, etc). Just
    push the ratchet things apart, put on head, push the ratchet things together. Giro seems to think it
    is a mountain bike helmet because it has a visor ("peak" to you, I think) but frankly I find those
    sunshades just as useful on the road as they might be in the forest.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:300420031831480172%[email protected], Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I've jsut bought a new mountain bike (Trek 4300) and need to get a helmet. Trouble is I've got a
    > big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend? I'm not into anything mad - just leisure cycling
    > really - on road and a bit of off road.

    You need to try on a few. The only thing I have found is that the cheap end of the ranges tend these
    days to be unisize and are too small for my head. Try moving up to the price point where they come
    in S, M, L and try the large size. They are usually quite a bit bigger. FWIW Giro are the only ones
    I've found that fit my head properly but that involves shape and not just size. YMMV

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  8. Kevin Morgan

    Kevin Morgan Guest

  9. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Steve Palincsar agreed with me:
    > My very problem. I just got through trying on every single appropriately sized helmet in a
    > Performance Bicycle store, and discovered that far and away the best fit was to be found in the
    > least expensive helmet, a Giro Torrent.

    I seem to do well with Giros - that's what my last 2 helmets have been.

    > This has a "universal" fit with a ratcheting flexible plastic thing inside the helmet, and only
    > comes in one size: "adult".

    As did my Giro Skyline. Unfortunately it lasted slightly less than 2 years before the ratchet
    mechanism stopped locking and I became unable to get a secure fit.

    I tend not to wear a helmet during the summer anyway. This just meant that I stopped wearing it a
    couple of months earlier than usual this year. So now I'm looking for another helmet that doesn't
    use this mechanism, since I expect a helmet to last me 5 years.

    > but frankly I find those sunshades just as useful on the road as they might be in the forest.

    I used to think that - before I got bent. A peak makes no difference whatsoever against a low sun
    when you're riding a bent :-(

    Thomas Paine

  10. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Kevin Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in news:300420031831480172% [email protected]:

    > Trouble is I've got a big head (62cm). What helmet would you recommend?

    I've never fitted helmets marked "L" or even "XL", I think my current helmet is marked "FH" ;-) My
    last couple of helmets have been Giro, I find they fit okay, even with my rather angular skull :-/
    They do however seem to sit a little high on my head. Most helmet manufacturers seem not to increase
    the depth of the helmet at the same time as increasing the circumference (that includes climbing
    helmet manufacturers and probably others).

    Have fun!

    Graeme