cycle helmets in europe

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Sam, Feb 5, 2003.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Hi all,

    i`m just wondering if anyone knows which countries if any, have a compulsory helmet law. I am only
    interested in the european countries, and i am not interested in starting yet another thread about
    the wrongs and rights of wearing a helmet. If a helmet is compulsory in that particular country,
    then i shall wear one, otherwise, i shan`t.

    Thanks in advance

    sam

    Tags:

  2. Jpr

    Jpr Guest

    Hi,

    Here in France helmet are not compulsory, but recommended.

    JPR www.jpricaud.com

    "sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > i`m just wondering if anyone knows which countries if any, have a
    compulsory
    > helmet law. I am only interested in the european countries, and i am not interested in starting
    > yet another thread about the wrongs and rights of wearing a helmet. If a helmet is compulsory in
    > that particular country,
    then
    > i shall wear one, otherwise, i shan`t.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > sam

  3. Kester

    Kester Guest

    On Wed, 05 Feb 2003 19:04:01 +0000, sam wrote:

    > i`m just wondering if anyone knows which countries if any, have a compulsory helmet law. I am only
    > interested in the european countries, and i am not interested in starting yet another thread about
    > the wrongs and rights of wearing a helmet. If a helmet is compulsory in that particular country,
    > then i shall wear one, otherwise, i shan`t.

    suspect you will get a country... by country response if it works... but afaik no eu country
    enforces helmets (may be well wrong)

    UK definitely doesn't
    --
    Cheers, Kester

  4. I've cycled in Ireland, UK, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland.
    None of them have helmet laws. Spain was talking about them. I wear a helmet myself except when
    the sun is ferocious when I wear a cricker's hat. I don't know of any country in Europe with
    helmet laws.

  5. On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:04:01 -0000 in rec.bicycles.rides, "sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If a helmet is compulsory in that particular country, then i shall wear one, otherwise, i shan`t.

    no need to wear one when you have nothing to protect... ;^)

  6. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    "Don't it always seem to go..." An unprincipled advocate just HAS TO stick his comment in. Go away.

    "Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:04:01 -0000 in rec.bicycles.rides, "sam" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > If a helmet is compulsory in that particular country, then i shall wear one, otherwise, i
    > > shan`t.
    >
    > no need to wear one when you have nothing to protect... ;^)

  7. Bikerider7

    Bikerider7 Guest

    "Gear id Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've cycled in Ireland, UK, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland.
    > None of them have helmet laws. Spain was talking about them.

    Are you sure about Spain? In 1999 a law was passed that required cyclists wear a helmet when riding
    outside of town.

  8. Alex Starke

    Alex Starke Guest

    Definitely not in Austria. If you cycle in Vienna though it may be advisable. It is crazy in
    that city.

    --
    Alex Starke [email protected] "sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > i`m just wondering if anyone knows which countries if any, have a
    compulsory
    > helmet law. I am only interested in the european countries, and i am not interested in starting
    > yet another thread about the wrongs and rights of wearing a helmet. If a helmet is compulsory in
    > that particular country,
    then
    > i shall wear one, otherwise, i shan`t.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > sam

  9. Sam

    Sam Guest

    outside of town ?? so no helmet is required IN a town ? doesn`t seem logical to me

    sam

  10. "Dennis P. Harris" wrote:

    > On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:04:01 -0000 in rec.bicycles.rides, "sam" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > If a helmet is compulsory in that particular country, then i shall wear one, otherwise, i
    > > shan`t.
    >
    > no need to wear one when you have nothing to protect... ;^)

    What is your problem, Dennis?

    Out to practice random acts of rudeness? Make the world a nastier place?

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
    recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
    that knowledge.

  11. On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:04:42 -0500 in rec.bicycles.rides, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Don't it always seem to go..." An unprincipled advocate just HAS TO stick his comment in. Go away

    please explain why a comment that those opposed to wearing a helmet don't have anything to protect
    is "unprincipled".

    i operate on the principle that it's perfectly OK to poke fun at people who don't have enough good
    sense to take simple protective measures to protect themselves from injury.

  12. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I deny that you even know what is a principle.

    The simple - SIMPLE - protective measure for a cyclist to use to protect from injury is to stay
    abed. Beyond that, cyclist protection is not simple and an effective risk calculus is needed.

    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

    "Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:04:42 -0500 in rec.bicycles.rides, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Don't it always seem to go..." An unprincipled advocate just HAS TO
    stick
    > > his comment in. Go away
    >
    > please explain why a comment that those opposed to wearing a helmet don't have anything to protect
    > is "unprincipled".
    >
    > i operate on the principle that it's perfectly OK to poke fun at people who don't have enough good
    > sense to take simple protective measures to protect themselves from injury.

  13. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Doug Huffman wrote:

    > The simple - SIMPLE - protective measure for a cyclist to use to protect from injury is to stay
    > abed. Beyond that, cyclist protection is not simple and an effective risk calculus is needed.

    Effective risk calculus! Now, just hold on there. When I bought my helmet, the guy in the store
    promised me there would be no math.

  14. Sam

    Sam Guest

    This is the sort of argument i didn`t want, but as it has started...

    1) it`s my choice, i exercise my freedom of choice.
    2) no matter how good the helmet, it is not possible to stop the brain rattling around inside
    your skull.

    these arguments may be flawed, but it is the only one you are getting from
    me.. so children, have fun

    sam

  15. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Like Barbie said, "Math class is hard!"

    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

    news:[email protected]...

  16. "Dennis P. Harris" wrote:

    > On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 07:04:42 -0500 in rec.bicycles.rides, "Doug Huffman" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Don't it always seem to go..." An unprincipled advocate just HAS TO stick his comment in.
    > > Go away
    >
    > please explain why a comment that those opposed to wearing a helmet don't have anything to protect
    > is "unprincipled".
    >
    > i operate on the principle that it's perfectly OK to poke fun at people who don't have enough good
    > sense to take simple protective measures to protect themselves from injury.

    So, ... when you feel like puking, do you also go to a crowded public place and let her rip?

    How pompous and ignorant.

    Have a nice day, yourself.

    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO CycleTourist at http://www.CycleTourist.com attbi.com Tolerance is
    recognizing that other people have different ideals and needs than you. Compromise is acting on
    that knowledge.

  17. mperry

    mperry Guest

    To the best of my knowledge Switzerland has no helmet laws, although I do see more cyclists wearing
    them each year. When I did my first tour there in 1981 I don't think I saw a single helmet. A lot of
    people commute to work or to the store and most of these do not wear helments. For what it is worth!
    news:<[email protected]>...

  18. sam <[email protected]> wrote:
    > i`m just wondering if anyone knows which countries if any, have a compulsory helmet law. I am only
    > interested in the european

    Germany has none, neither has Sweden nor Poland.

    --
    MfG/Best regards helmut springer

  19. Hi !

    Here in Finland we have a "half-compulsory" helmet law. It's is just recommended to wear a helmet.
    But all a police officer can do is to notify. So no punishment waiting...

    Kimmo Andersson Jyväskylä, Finland

    On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 19:04:01 -0000, "sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >i`m just wondering if anyone knows which countries if any, have a compulsory helmet law. I am only
    >interested in the european countries, and i am not interested in starting yet another thread about
    >the wrongs and rights of wearing a helmet. If a helmet is compulsory in that particular country,
    >then i shall wear one, otherwise, i shan`t.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >sam

  20. Do you where a helmet in your car?