Cycle hire for trip abroad

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dom, May 5, 2003.

  1. Dom

    Dom Guest

    Hi

    I'm planning a 10 day cycling holiday to France at the end of July. My girlfriend is in need of a
    bike for this, but doesn't want to buy one. Can anyone recommend a cycle hire company that would
    hire us a decent quality bike to take to France for 10 days? I live in Berkshire so anywhere in the
    Berkshire/London/Surrey area would be best. I had a quick search on the web but most hire places
    only seem to hire bikes for local use and for a day or two at a time.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers Dom

    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19
    East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

    Tags:

  2. Rg

    Rg Guest

    "Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm planning a 10 day cycling holiday to France at the end of July. My
    girlfriend
    > is in need of a bike for this, but doesn't want to buy one. Can anyone recommend a cycle hire
    > company that would hire us a decent
    quality
    > bike to take to France for 10 days? I live in Berkshire so anywhere in the Berkshire/London/Surrey
    > area would be best. I had a quick search on the web but most hire places only seem to hire
    bikes
    > for local use and for a day or two at a time.
    >
    > Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers Dom

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =---

    I hate to say this ... but reading between the lines it seems that the trip may be pretty casual in
    terms of distances etc .... if that's the case then the cheapest option is probably to buy one of
    the "£79.99 specials" that people like Halfords and Motorworld are selling at present and then give
    it away to the charity shop when your trip is ended - or throw it away! (or look in a Decathlon
    store in France - they have cheapie machines that are good value)

    From what I have seen of hire charges anything more than about 7 days and the buy and dispose option
    would be better - or she may even get to like the idea and want to keep the bike!

    I know you said "quality" and yes, the purists on the NG will point out the error of buying a
    seventy nine quid bike ... but it's horses for courses - provided you stick to a conventional bike
    (i.e. no suspension etc) then IMHO it will do the job.

    RG

  3. Dom

    Dom Guest

    Thanks for the advice RG, i'll definitely take that into consideration. Just so I can check all my
    options - does anyone know a cycle hire company that would hire me a bike to take abroad for 10 days
    in the South East?

    Cheers

    Dom

    "RG" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I hate to say this ... but reading between the lines it seems that the trip may be pretty casual in
    >terms of distances etc .... if that's the case then the cheapest option is probably to buy one of
    >the "£79.99 specials" that people like Halfords and Motorworld are selling at present and then give
    it
    >away to the charity shop when your trip is ended - or throw it away!
    (or
    >look in a Decathlon store in France - they have cheapie machines that are good value)
    >
    >From what I have seen of hire charges anything more than about 7 days and the buy and dispose
    >option would be better - or she may even get to like
    the
    >idea and want to keep the bike!
    >
    >I know you said "quality" and yes, the purists on the NG will point out
    the
    >error of buying a seventy nine quid bike ... but it's horses for courses
    -
    >provided you stick to a conventional bike (i.e. no suspension etc) then
    IMHO
    >it will do the job.
    >
    >RG

    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19
    East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

  4. Ben Tansley

    Ben Tansley Guest

    "Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Hi
    >
    > I'm planning a 10 day cycling holiday to France at the end of July. My
    girlfriend
    > is in need of a bike for this, but doesn't want to buy one. Can anyone recommend a cycle hire
    > company that would hire us a decent
    quality
    > bike to take to France for 10 days? I live in Berkshire so anywhere in the Berkshire/London/Surrey
    > area would be best. I had a quick search on the web but most hire places only seem to hire
    bikes
    > for local use and for a day or two at a time.

    Have you talked to any of the shops listed at
    http://www.lcc.org.uk/guidance/Cycle_Hire_in_London/hire_shops.asp? Certainly several offer medium
    and long-term hire.

    Best wishes, Ben Tansley (speaking for myself and not as a representative of anyone even if they
    do pay me)

  5. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Ben Tansley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I'm planning a 10 day cycling holiday to France at the end of July. My
    > girlfriend
    > > is in need of a bike for this, but doesn't want to buy one. Can anyone recommend a cycle hire
    > > company that would hire us a decent
    > quality
    > > bike to take to France for 10 days? I live in Berkshire so anywhere in
    the
    > > Berkshire/London/Surrey area would be best. I had a quick search on the web but most hire places
    > > only seem to hire
    > bikes
    > > for local use and for a day or two at a time.
    >
    > Have you talked to any of the shops listed at
    > http://www.lcc.org.uk/guidance/Cycle_Hire_in_London/hire_shops.asp? Certainly several offer medium
    > and long-term hire.

    This may already have been mentioned -- but why not find a cycle hire place in France? I understand
    they have bikes out there.

    http://www.paris.org/Addresses/Adh.OTP/adh.act.AUTRESTELOCATION.html