Cycle Hire in Stratford upon Avon

On 6 Dec, 10:53, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:
> dkahn400 wrote:
> > That's not a forgone conclusion, as you'd know if you'd been following
> > this group
> > recently. Many cyclists have serious reservations about Sustrans, to
> > put it mildly.

> Whoa! Sorry about the multiple postings. I think I may have stumbled
> upon a flaw in
> Ghostzilla. :-(
>
> --
> Dave...

A lot of responses indeed!

You are right it isnt a forgone conclusion particulary with one of the
competitors being the Eden project. I agree that there are lots of
reservations about Sustrans however there is £50M to be spent and if
its going to be spent on something then let it be cycling!!!

Locally in Warwickshire there seems to be a strong enthusiastic team
for Sustrans. I became a volunteer ranger this year and have been
impressed with the enthusisam and dedication to cycling of the local
volunteers. They have done a great job with NCN5 and now NCN41 through
Stratford. As I wrote earlier safe traffic free routes are rarity and
if spent correctly £50M could go a long way.

In article <86b89377-a6b7-4fa7-bb2e-6c6f89940837
@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
[email protected] says...
> there is £50M to be spent and if
> its going to be spent on something then let it be cycling!!!

No, let it be something that's /good/ for cycling - like a decent
national training scheme that gives people the confidence to ride safely
on the roads, rather than some scheme that seems to depend on people
preferring not to ride on the roads.

On 6 Dec, 23:23, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <86b89377-a6b7-4fa7-bb2e-6c6f89940837
> @n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> [email protected] says...> there is £50M to be spent and if
> > its going to be spent on something then let it be cycling!!!

> No, let it be something that's /good/ for cycling - like a decent
> national training scheme that gives people the confidence to ride safely
> on the roads, rather than some scheme that seems to depend on people
> preferring not to ride on the roads.

I do agree with you that this is sorely needed. I have now got my 6 yr
old riding to shool on his bike on the road but luckily we have small
roads on the route. My four year old also cycles but has to use the
the pavement. I do believe we need a mixture of both elements. However
this is only down to the fact that we as a family are all cyclists and
believe the kids should cyle from as eary age as possible. The amount
of schemes promoting this is woefully inadequate.

Off road schemes are still valid though. I have spent a great deal of
time in Munich and Sweden where the cycle paths are fantastic and
public spaces always have cycling provision. I do believe as I stated
in my earlier meandering that places like the Greenway are important
as it is good to get off the roads and into the countryside. The
Sustrans Connect2 scheme locally is to build a cycle route into
Kennilworth and to the University via a disused railway. It surely is
much better to commute through routes which are scenic and traffic
free if the opportunity is there. I much prefer to be away from the
fumes and traffic when possible.

>A lot of responses indeed!
>
>You are right it isnt a forgone conclusion particulary with one of the
>competitors being the Eden project. I agree that there are lots of
>reservations about Sustrans however there is £50M to be spent and if
>its going to be spent on something then let it be cycling!!!
>
>Locally in Warwickshire there seems to be a strong enthusiastic team
>for Sustrans. I became a volunteer ranger this year and have been
>impressed with the enthusisam and dedication to cycling of the local
>volunteers. They have done a great job with NCN5 and now NCN41 through
>Stratford. As I wrote earlier safe traffic free routes are rarity and
>if spent correctly £50M could go a long way.

You're making the assumption that all of us will think that Sustrans is good
for cycling. Bad assumption. There's some of us who are cyclists who think
that Sustrans is seriously bad for cycling.