Cycle insurance

davek wrote:

> Now, I consider that I took reasonable precautions to keep my bike secure and I won't have any
> insurer tell me otherwise. But what can you do when faced with such mindless, pointless, willful
> vandalism?

Get a Brompton?

Tony

I just had a look at cyclecover.co.uk's online quote doofer. It won't let me get a quote for more
than four bikes, it won't accept the existence of bikes worth more than two and a half grand and it
wants to charge me twice what I pay for fully comp on my motorcar.

NO CARRIER

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:58:51 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >The difference in cost between 'self-insurance' (ie saving up in anticipation) and real insurance
> >is, ime, minimal.
>
> Hanson used to do that, IIRC. Their vehicles were insured road traffic act only.

That's pretty routine. Larger businesses usually don't even carry property insurance.

It may have changed now, but back in the 80s BT didn't even have RTA insurance, but had posted a
bond of some sort to enabled them to operate as their own insurer even for personal injury.

ian

"Ian G Batten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> It may have changed now, but back in the 80s BT didn't even have RTA insurance, but had posted a
> bond of some sort to enabled them to operate as their own insurer even for personal injury.

That may explain why they tried to sue me for the replacementof the front of a van which side-
swiped me (theiur driver's fault). The obvious fact that the claimed damage was greatly in excess
of what could be explained by the small dent in the side panel of my car dissuaded them from this
course of action. It sounded like the driver had gone on to demolish a bollard and try to blame me
for the damage.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:11:24 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Never had my bikes insured. Had several stolen, enjiyed buying the new )ones and probably didn't
:lose out financially either, cos I had no )middlemen or profits to subsidise...

You're obviously not the sentimental type !
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:09:54 +0000 (UTC),
Ian G Batten <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Just zis Guy, you know? <guy.chapman+usenet-
> [email protected]> wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:58:51 +0000, "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >The difference in cost between 'self-insurance' (ie saving up in anticipation) and real
>> >insurance is, ime, minimal.
>>
>> Hanson used to do that, IIRC. Their vehicles were insured road traffic act only.
>
> That's pretty routine. Larger businesses usually don't even carry property insurance.
>
> It may have changed now, but back in the 80s BT didn't even have RTA insurance, but had posted a
> bond of some sort to enabled them to operate as their own insurer even for personal injury.

This is still the case. IIRC you have to post a bond of something like half a million pounds (or
maybe 5 million). Either way it tends to start making sense for companies who have thousands of
vehicles to insure but not for anybody else. (It can also be used to "insure" 17 year olds in
Ferraris :)

Tim.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 07:49:45 +0000, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:59:20 GMT someone who may be )[email protected] (pmailkeey)
:wrote this:- ) ) )Take a bike on a train. The railways don't like bikes locked to )things. )

I wouldn't want to put a bike on a train never mind accompanying it ! Where's me car !
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:53:21 GMT, davek
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Some scallywags came along and decided to try )to nick the bike but when they discovered they
:couldn't get through the )chain they decided to kick the back wheel beyond repair. ) ) )Now, I
:consider that I took reasonable precautions to keep my bike )secure and I won't have any insurer
:tell me otherwise. But what can you )do when faced with such mindless, pointless, willful
:vandalism? )

A one-off incident - how much for a back wheel compared to insurance ?
--
Comm again, Mike.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:54:57 GMT, davek
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)Tony Raven wrote: ) > Get a Brompton? ) ) ) )Mmmm, that's actually a very tempting idea. )

Then you'll need a second one for leisure rides.
--
Comm again, Mike.

[email protected] (pmailkeey)typed

> On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:53:21 GMT, davek <[email protected]> wrote:

> :)Some scallywags came along and decided to try )to nick the bike but when they discovered they
> :couldn't get through the )chain they decided to kick the back wheel beyond repair. ) ) )Now, I
> :consider that I took reasonable precautions to keep my bike )secure and I won't have any insurer
> :tell me otherwise. But what can you )do when faced with such mindless, pointless, willful
> :vandalism? )

> A one-off incident - how much for a back wheel compared to insurance ?

No it's not. When my first bike couldn't be removed, the scallywags bent both wheels and the frame.
The bike was insured with the CTC at the time (the only time I've ever had cycle insurance)

The insurers paid up but said I'd have to take out a new policy on the replacement bike. Since I
should have had >6months to run on the first policy I didn't bother.

[email protected] (pmailkeey)typed

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:11:24 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:

> :)Never had my bikes insured. Had several stolen, enjiyed buying the new )ones and probably didn't
> :lose out financially either, cos I had no )middlemen or profits to subsidise...

> You're obviously not the sentimental type !

Not really after working in hospitals (great big bike thief magnets) and Glasgow.

There also some *really* nice chaps in one bike shop I visited a fortnight after one bike was
stolen, when I'd just moved to Leeds ;-)

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> [email protected] (pmailkeey)typed
>

>> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:11:24 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> :)Never had my bikes insured. Had several stolen, enjiyed buying the
>> new :)ones and probably didn't lose out financially either, cos I had no :)middlemen or profits
>> to subsidise...
>
>> You're obviously not the sentimental type !
>
> Not really after working in hospitals (great big bike thief magnets) and Glasgow.
>
> There also some *really* nice chaps in one bike shop I visited a fortnight after one bike was
> stolen, when I'd just moved to Leeds ;-)

Predatory your were and magnificent.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:47:04 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

:)On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 00:52:56 GMT, [email protected] )(pmailkeey) wrote in message
:<[email protected]>: ) )>:) > Get a Brompton? ) )>Then you'll need a second one
:for leisure rides. ) )One bloke in our club does all his riding on a Brommie, including the )long
:Sunday runs. )

And why not !
--
Comm again, Mike.