Cycle lanes in Hyde Park

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Clive Van Hilte, Mar 4, 2003.

  1. I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
    between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). A pedestrian was pulling a suitcase along, in the
    cycle lane. Theere was little traffic of any kind around that early, and there was no reason for him
    to be in the cycle lane. I told him, politely, that he should watch out, as he was in a cycle lane,
    my concerns being for both his safety and of course that of other cyclists. I was first told that it
    was not a cycle lane, then I was told to p*** off.

    My question is:

    a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
    on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
    b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that pedestrians
    still have priority in those areas?

    Clive.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Clive van Hilten <[email protected]> wrote:

    > My question is:
    >
    > a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
    > on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
    > b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that
    > pedestrians still have priority in those areas?
    >
    > Clive.

    b) Pedestrians can walk wherever they like, cyclists are restricted to the cycle part and should
    give way to pedestrians.

    Tony

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Clive van Hilten wrote:
    > I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
    > between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). A pedestrian was pulling a suitcase along, in the
    > cycle lane. Theere was little traffic of any kind around that early, and there was no reason for
    > him to be in the cycle lane. I told him, politely, that he should watch out, as he was in a cycle
    > lane, my concerns being for both his safety and of course that of other cyclists.

    Really? Cyclists are not going to run into pedestrians or each other on the cycle lanes or paths
    just because a bloke is walking on the cycle lane.

    My only concern in HP is over punctures. I got three there from my last two visits!

    --
    ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Clive van Hilten scribbled:

    > I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
    > between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). A pedestrian was pulling a suitcase along, in the
    > cycle lane. Theere was little traffic of any kind around that early, and there was no reason for
    > him to be in the cycle lane. I told him, politely, that he should watch out, as he was in a cycle
    > lane, my concerns being for both his safety and of course that of other cyclists. I was first told
    > that it was not a cycle lane, then I was told to p*** off.
    >
    > My question is:
    >
    > a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
    > on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
    > b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that
    > pedestrians still have priority in those areas?

    b) is correct .. ;)

    You can push a cycle, while walking with it, anywhere. If you want to ride the cycle you should
    stick to the denoted lanes and pedestrians *still* have a right of way .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    [email protected] (Clive van Hilten) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
    > between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). ...

    It's a nice lane, isn't it? But it gets pretty busy at times. Never mind pedestrians - you've got to
    watch out for the inline skaters/they've got to watch out for you, particularly in the warmer
    weather. They LOVE the cycle lane.

    I ran into Adam Hart-Davies one fine morning on that stretch. I was completely out of breath, just
    having raced up from Shepherd's Bush. I think he thought I was something of a nutter, gasping away
    before I could finally say 'I like your show', or something similarly brilliant. He wasn't riding
    his pink Brompton, either.

  6. Toby Sleigh

    Toby Sleigh Guest

    "Clive van Hilten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > My question is:
    >
    > a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
    > on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
    > b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that
    > pedestrians still have priority in those areas?
    >
    > Clive.

    b) Your reaction was analogous to cagers telling cyclists they should stay in cycle lanes. I ride
    along this cycle lane twice a day, you just have to be patient. I must admit my patience was
    sorely tried one dark morning when I came across a pedestrian off to one side of the path, a dog
    on the other and a long dark lead connecting the two.

    Toby

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Toby Sleigh scribbled:

    > "Clive van Hilten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> My question is:
    >>
    >> a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in
    >> white on them actually reserved for cyclists, or b) are they intended to denote that bicycles
    >> are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that pedestrians still have priority in those areas?
    >>
    >> Clive.
    >
    > b) Your reaction was analogous to cagers telling cyclists they should stay in cycle lanes. I ride
    > along this cycle lane twice a day, you just have to be patient. I must admit my patience was
    > sorely tried one dark morning when I came across a pedestrian off to one side of the path, a
    > dog on the other and a long dark lead connecting the two.
    >
    > Toby

    Isn't this what bunny hops and wheelies were meant for ?

    ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0