Cycle lanes in Hyde Park

Clive Van Hilte

Guest
I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). A pedestrian was pulling a suitcase along, in the
cycle lane. Theere was little traffic of any kind around that early, and there was no reason for him
to be in the cycle lane. I told him, politely, that he should watch out, as he was in a cycle lane,
my concerns being for both his safety and of course that of other cyclists. I was first told that it
was not a cycle lane, then I was told to p*** off.

My question is:

a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that pedestrians
still have priority in those areas?

Clive.

Clive van Hilten <[email protected]> wrote:

> My question is:
>
> a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
> on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
> b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that
> pedestrians still have priority in those areas?
>
> Clive.

b) Pedestrians can walk wherever they like, cyclists are restricted to the cycle part and should
give way to pedestrians.

Tony

Clive van Hilten wrote:
> I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
> between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). A pedestrian was pulling a suitcase along, in the
> cycle lane. Theere was little traffic of any kind around that early, and there was no reason for
> him to be in the cycle lane. I told him, politely, that he should watch out, as he was in a cycle
> lane, my concerns being for both his safety and of course that of other cyclists.

Really? Cyclists are not going to run into pedestrians or each other on the cycle lanes or paths
just because a bloke is walking on the cycle lane.

My only concern in HP is over punctures. I got three there from my last two visits!

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt

Clive van Hilten scribbled:

> I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
> between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). A pedestrian was pulling a suitcase along, in the
> cycle lane. Theere was little traffic of any kind around that early, and there was no reason for
> him to be in the cycle lane. I told him, politely, that he should watch out, as he was in a cycle
> lane, my concerns being for both his safety and of course that of other cyclists. I was first told
> that it was not a cycle lane, then I was told to p*** off.
>
> My question is:
>
> a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
> on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
> b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that
> pedestrians still have priority in those areas?

b) is correct .. ;)

You can push a cycle, while walking with it, anywhere. If you want to ride the cycle you should
stick to the denoted lanes and pedestrians *still* have a right of way .. ;)

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

[email protected] (Clive van Hilten) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I was cycling in what I consider to be a cycle lane this morning, in Hyde Park (on the Broadwalk,
> between Hyde Parke Corner and Bayswater Road). ...

It's a nice lane, isn't it? But it gets pretty busy at times. Never mind pedestrians - you've got to
watch out for the inline skaters/they've got to watch out for you, particularly in the warmer
weather. They LOVE the cycle lane.

I ran into Adam Hart-Davies one fine morning on that stretch. I was completely out of breath, just
having raced up from Shepherd's Bush. I think he thought I was something of a nutter, gasping away
before I could finally say 'I like your show', or something similarly brilliant. He wasn't riding
his pink Brompton, either.

"Clive van Hilten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> My question is:
>
> a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in white
> on them actually reserved for cyclists, or
> b) are they intended to denote that bicycles are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that
> pedestrians still have priority in those areas?
>
> Clive.

b) Your reaction was analogous to cagers telling cyclists they should stay in cycle lanes. I ride
along this cycle lane twice a day, you just have to be patient. I must admit my patience was
sorely tried one dark morning when I came across a pedestrian off to one side of the path, a dog
on the other and a long dark lead connecting the two.

Toby

Toby Sleigh scribbled:

> "Clive van Hilten" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> My question is:
>>
>> a) are those portions of the Broadwalk painted black and with pictures of bicyles painted in
>> white on them actually reserved for cyclists, or b) are they intended to denote that bicycles
>> are *ONLY* allowed in those areas, and that pedestrians still have priority in those areas?
>>
>> Clive.
>
> b) Your reaction was analogous to cagers telling cyclists they should stay in cycle lanes. I ride
> along this cycle lane twice a day, you just have to be patient. I must admit my patience was
> sorely tried one dark morning when I came across a pedestrian off to one side of the path, a
> dog on the other and a long dark lead connecting the two.
>
> Toby

Isn't this what bunny hops and wheelies were meant for ?

;)

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0