Cycle lanes save lives

Response to POHB:
> "In London the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on the
> roads has fallen by nearly a third in the last decade, mainly because
> of bicycle lanes"
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2128180,00.html
>
> Must be true then.

Not to mention

"riders have to first study and inwardly digest a notice on the
handlebars which states: "I will stop at red lights, I will respect one-
way streets." Fat chance of that, or of many of the 22,000 people who
used the system on the first day wearing he#@*£NOCARRIER

--
Mark, UK
"I have found people to be more kind than I expected, and less just."

"POHB" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> according to yesterday's Grauniad leader:

> "In London the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on the
> roads has fallen by nearly a third in the last decade, mainly because
> of bicycle lanes"

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/story/0,,2128180,00.html

The irony of that is rather bitter. A young cyclist was killed not far from
here at the start of the month by a turning builder's lorry as she rode in a
cycle lane. The road layout is shown here, along with a brief article in
French:

http://www.velocite-movies.com/images/stories/parisien040707grand.jpg

In French law, the use of some cycle lanes (marked with a *round* blue sign)
is compulsory, and this is one of those.

James Thomson