Cycle Lanes Signs or Paint ???

Jeytown

Apr 26, 2006
hey just another quick question guys

this question goes out to those who use dedicated cycle lanes to get to there destinations

of those what would you rather prefer

a painted sign on the road indicating where and which direction to go to

or

the standard blue sign on a telegraph pole

the reason im asking is that i quite often get confused finding cycle paths on roads when looking for that tricky blue sign

your thoughts ?????

Paint on the road.

What I don't like is bike lanes that take you within the door zone. The vechiles expect you to be in the bike lane if its painted, but if theres none, you can ride outside the door zone.

i agree there is supposed to be a 400mm buffer zone between parked car and bike lane but i agree totally there needs to be another solution when it comes to car doors.

Jeytown said:
i agree there is supposed to be a 400mm buffer zone between parked car and bike lane but i agree totally there needs to be another solution when it comes to car doors.

Make an Australian Design Rule for all cars sold to be scissor lift.

The proposed bike lanes for Kent st, in Sydney CBD include a door zone, so it will appear that the mistake made with many existing bike lanes, is now being addressed with new bike paths.

mikesbytes said:
The proposed bike lanes for Kent st, in Sydney CBD include a door zone, so it will appear that the mistake made with many existing bike lanes, is now being addressed with new bike paths.
Hi Mike
I was having a chat with another cyclist about this and his comment was that he is waiting for a court case to come up from someone being doored while riding in the marked cycle lane. The marked bike lane shows where the cyclist is "supposed to ride" which places them in a dangerous position.
What bike paths are giving extra room?

Cheers

Geoff

geoffs said:
Hi Mike
I was having a chat with another cyclist about this and his comment was that he is waiting for a court case to come up from someone being doored while riding in the marked cycle lane. The marked bike lane shows where the cyclist is "supposed to ride" which places them in a dangerous position.
What bike paths are giving extra room?

Cheers

Geoff
Hi Geoff, is the cyclist suing the motorist, or the motorist suing the cyclists?

The kerb side lanes are generally good. I liked the William st ones, apart from the odd taxi dropping off or picking up.

Cheers Michael. BTW I saw a tamdem down at Newtown, rather like the one that the goodies rode [whats the term for a 3 seater], but a 2 seater.

mikesbytes said:
Hi Geoff, is the cyclist suing the motorist, or the motorist suing the cyclists?

The kerb side lanes are generally good. I liked the William st ones, apart from the odd taxi dropping off or picking up.

Cheers Michael. BTW I saw a tamdem down at Newtown, rather like the one that the goodies rode [whats the term for a 3 seater], but a 2 seater.
Tandem simply means that the riders are in fore and aft line rather than side by side. It can have any number of riders greater than1.

Cycle lanes signs and paint are both required and signs can give directions where paint can give motorist awareness that bikes will be on that road .

Beauyboy

mikesbytes said:
Well in fact BikeSydney and BIKEastboth had to push for that and for a minimum of 600mm. Of course Kent St is at risk due to the NSW State Gov's choice to remove the bike lanes on William St. So come to the Sausages for Stupidity ride on Sun 30th - there is an earlier post with all the details.

blinddog said:
Well in fact BikeSydney and BIKEastboth had to push for that and for a minimum of 600mm. Of course Kent St is at risk due to the NSW State Gov's choice to remove the bike lanes on William St. So come to the Sausages for Stupidity ride on Sun 30th - there is an earlier post with all the details.
Having seen someone be knocked off a bike by a car door on the pacific highway, I'm well aware of the risk, luckly he was not hurt by the fall and the traffic managed to stop.

The tunnel owners are suing NSW govt for the reversals they started this week.