Cycle locks

Of course I was funning with you on the daddy thing.

Krypto changed the key situation with their locks so now a BIC cap can't do that.

Speaking of lock picking tools, this is the more portable less obvious tool; sorry another video, LOL:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYv4uq_eML8
And if you let the video roll to the next 2 videos you see other picks, the third video the guy does it the old fashion way with Kryptos best chain lock. These videos show why Krypto does not warranty their lock or your bike if the lock is picked; so if you ever find your locked picked and the bike gone, go find a angle grinder and cut the lock then call the police and file your claim.

When buying a lock from Krypto make sure you do EXACTLY what they tell you to do to register the lock and send by certified mail with return receipt within 7 days of buying the lock including picts of the bike and a check for the term of insurance you want to buy; keep everything including the packaging, when you have a claim do exactly what they tell you to do and call them within 72 hours of the theft and to make sure there isn't anything else they need before sending the claim in, and again cert mail with return receipt within 90 days of theft. If you miss one thing the warranty is void. I've heard from a few people on forums that Krypto denied their claims for one reason or another. You have to have an appraisal done on the bike every year signed and dated by the dealer not including accessories, copy of the original bill of sale on the bike, all the original packaging including the UPC code, original receipt, you have to have the broken lock (if they take the lock you're out of luck), police report (if the city you live in doesn't do police reports on stolen bikes you're out of luck), pictures of the crime scene with the lock undisturbed in the photos along with photos of whatever it was locked to, and area photos so they can tell if it was locked in a very public place or not, original registration form for the lock, at least one key, proof that you have notified your insurance company and proof of your deductible.

The interesting thing about Krypto's exclusions that if you bike is recovered there is no coverage regardless what condition the bike is in.

In Krypto's description of the needed photos all they say they need is an image of the broken lock in it's undisturbed location, but I understand that they want a lot more then just that, and if not it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now you did it, Froze!!!! That's one of the videos I posted and then deleted because it ****** the OP off! LOL!

I think I gored his Kryptonite Ox!

Can't blame a guy for trying...or can you? Oh well, after Kryptonite's Bic Pen failures, you can guess that the hype after blowing $100+ is going to be mainly smoke and mirrors.

An Inland marine rider on your insurance or some such for the bike might be a better investment than a 4-pound lock, lock carrier and the hassle of using it. I'm old school. Never let the bike out of your sight.

Wait...I lied. The Standard New York weighs 4.35 pounds. I'll be sure and put a pair of those on my Emonda. LOL!

And to think that Krypto has a lock that is even heavier than 4.35 pounds, in fact almost twice as heavy, Evolution chain and lock combo comes in at 8.5 pounds, that's about 1/2 the weight of my bike!

Funny we talk about all this lock stuff yet all I use is a 6 foot cable, like the ones I use to lock my bikes up in the garage, with a Discus lock. I've locked my bikes up for 40 years with this same cable and lock and no one has ever stolen any bike I had locked up with it., I lived all along the southern California coast where bike theft is pretty high especially in LA. This is the same lock I used in college to lock up my "beater" Schwinn, but I also locked up my good bikes when I wanted to do something and bikes weren't allowed.

A wealthy fellow that sponsored one of the teams I raced on was a financial advisor. Had a metric **** ton of money. He bought a Colnago frame and had it built up with one of the Campy 50th Anniversario groups...the gold plated one.

Yup...ripped out of his open garage. No lock to pick or cut!

Thieves will go for the low hanging fruit, but in places like the big city where everyone is rocking a Kryptonite or some such security monster the thieves come ready to dance.

Concealing an angle grinder might not be so tough, but how in the Hell do they hide a pair of 36" bolt cutters? I've got a 24" pair and they not only weigh a lot, but are pretty wide at the handle end to keep under even a Winter coat.

Thanks for hijacking this thread because I was just about to waste my money on one of those crappy Kryptonite locks. o_O

The beauty of the net, get good feedback on products before we waste our money. :cool:

Do explain the hijacking you think is going on, the post was about locks.

I didn't hear anyone bad mouth Kryptonite, all we're trying to point out that especially in larger cities that have more crime, is that any lock, not just Kryptonite, can be compromised by today's battery powered angle grinders.

I know of guy that had a very heavy chain, the heaviest I've ever seen, that locked his Harley to a huge U that was cemented into the garage floor, the thieves after breaking the outside door lock and deadbolt and then cut the chain; no one is sure how long it took to cut the chain but it was done with an angle grinder. So even a huge incredibly heavy chain can be cut, this leaves smaller bike locks useless against such tactics. But if you don't live in a high crime area than get a Kryptonite lock and don't worry about it, for crying out loud all I've ever used for 40 years is a stupidly simple to cut cable lock and I've never gotten a bike stolen. So you have to decide how much of a lock is good enough for you.

If you have a nice bike and you are concerned about it getting stolen while at work or at school there is a better suggestion than buying a $100 New York Fahgettaboudit Mini high end lock that can be defeated quickly...take the bus!...ok just kidding, buy a used bike for around $300 and take that to work or school and lock it up with a $45 lock like the Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2. Also with the $100 New York Fahgettaboudit Mini lock you have to get a new one when the insurance that you pay extra for runs out, so the price isn't just the lock alone. Krypto charges $25 for their insurance to last 5 years, after which you have to buy another lock plus the insurance again. In addition Kyrpto has a bunch of hoops you have to jump through to even get the insurance after your bike is stolen, here is their latest incarnation of the hoops:
In order to file the claim you need the following pieces of information:
  1. Contact details, including your email address
  2. Registration confirmation number, (would be in your registration confirmation email)
  3. Copy of the official police report
  4. Description of the lock-up – provide info on how the lock failed (we always recommend locking to a secured stationary object)
  5. Image of the broken lock*
  6. Image of one original key
  7. Proof of deductible from insurance company, if covered by insurance.
*Kryptonite reserves the right to request the actual lock
The police report could be a major stumbling block depending on where you live, most large cities will no longer do a police report for a stolen bike thus you are automatically disqualified to get any insurance money from Krypto. Also point 4, if the bike was stolen because what you locked the bike up to was compromised and not the lock again no insurance. Point 5, if the lock is taken no coverage.

Not sure if this is pertinent info, but in the UK insurance companies request that bikes be locked up in order to be covered by insurance, and the only locks they will accept are the ones that are tested by Sold Secure and have a gold rating; American insurance companies are not that picky but maybe they should be!

Last edited:
Do explain the hijacking you think is going on, the post was about locks.

Dude, get a sense of humor and you really need to pay attention to the thread and not your own sense of "know it all" ism.

Dude, get a sense of humor and you really need to pay attention to the thread and not your own sense of "know it all" ism.
Maybe if you quit acting like a jack..., then maybe a forum like this one can keep some resemblance of bikers with a sense of congeniality instead of snobbiness that is so prevalent among cyclists like yourself.

Maybe if you quit acting like a jack..., then maybe a forum like this one can keep some resemblance of bikers with a sense of congeniality instead of snobbiness that is so prevalent among cyclists like yourself.

It's know it all jerks like you that chase them away. Clearly the OP isn't here any longer even before I posted because you keep going on and on about how smart you are about silly things. Last time I left after your stupid know it all attitude arguing about how wiping a tire doesn't help and arguing with others about how tire savers operate.

Want to talk about snobs, you're the worst kind thinking you know everything,. I have been gone quite a while because I was sick of reading your know it all BS...and still there was not much posting here. :rolleyes:

You really think it's me? Yeah whatever! You've been here the entire time and still they don't come, take a long look at yourself moron.

.........I've never worried about my bike being stolen, I'm either riding it or its at home. I can be paranoid about theft sometimes and only take pit stops away from my bike when I have a riding buddy with me.

It's know it all jerks like you that chase them away. Clearly the OP isn't here any longer even before I posted because you keep going on and on about how smart you are about silly things. Last time I left after your stupid know it all attitude arguing about how wiping a tire doesn't help and arguing with others about how tire savers operate.

Want to talk about snobs, you're the worst kind thinking you know everything,. I have been gone quite a while because I was sick of reading your know it all BS...and still there was not much posting here. :rolleyes:

You really think it's me? Yeah whatever! You've been here the entire time and still they don't come, take a long look at yourself moron.

Dang dude you got anger issues. I can't believe you're still caught up on tire saver post from 2 years ago. But regardless you were wrong then, even Sheldon Brown who I quoted said you were wrong, then you tried to say I contradicted myself, no, you just don't know how to read, because the quote you said I contradicted myself didn't come from me but was directly taken from Sheldon Brown. So base on that, one would have to think that you think Sheldon Brown was a snob know it all.

So really the only one here writing BS is YOU!

Dang dude you got anger issues. I can't believe you're still caught up on tire saver post from 2 years ago. But regardless you were wrong then, even Sheldon Brown who I quoted said you were wrong, then you tried to say I contradicted myself, no, you just don't know how to read, because the quote you said I contradicted myself didn't come from me but was directly taken from Sheldon Brown. So base on that, one would have to think that you think Sheldon Brown was a snob know it all.

So really the only one here writing BS is YOU!

By the way you're on my ignore list, hmm, the only one here that is, that should tell you something. But in the meantime feel free to give us your little temper tantrums, but I won't be entertaining them...or you!

As I remember correctly, I'm not the only one who figured out you were an idiot from that thread! :D

Btw, if something works for me, it works. You have your head so far up Sheldon's ****, that you think what he says is concrete. Let me point out your intelligence level. I laugh everytime I read it. Thread in Clydesdale forum. "Wheel for a 240 pound rider" Duhhh, you don't say how much you weigh, is your reply ha ha! You can't even figure out his weight posted in the title. Duhhh no wonder the dude didn't come back. I'm sure he figured out the advice he gets from you would be just as idiotic ha ha!

Last edited:
Let us try to be civil and be constuctive. I am having a bad week mysef since my magic unicorn is only crapping 2 colors of Skittles this week.