Cycle-Ops Fluid2 Problem

Bruce Diesel

Dec 7, 2004
I am experiencing difficulty clamping my bike properly in the Fluid2 trainer. No matter what I do I experience significant movement during hard efforts. Anybody got some tips on how to get the bike clamped properly?

Bruce Diesel said:
I am experiencing difficulty clamping my bike properly in the Fluid2 trainer. No matter what I do I experience significant movement during hard efforts. Anybody got some tips on how to get the bike clamped properly?
Bruce, I had this problem once. My bike and I actually fell over because I didn't have it properly clamped. This will be hard to describe but here goes...

There are two sides of the clamping mechanism (1 fixed but adjustable, and the sliding clamp).

1. Always make sure your fixed side cup is rotated so that it fits all the way over your QR lever/nut. (There are two cut outs on this cup, the big one should allow you to slide the cup nicely over the QR lever). This is where I made my mistake, it really does fit into the cup all the way.

2. The sliding clamp cylinder should also fit completely over your QR nut on the other side.

3. I believe the Cycleops trainers are designed to flex when fully clamped. That is to say, the U shape will flex outward at the clamping points to ensure a snug fit. This is okay since the only pressure being applied is to the QR axel (which Cycleops is nice enough to provide).

Since my one incident early on, I've ridden way too many hours on the trainer with lots of standing efforts without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

frenchyge said:
Also, make sure you're using the quick-release skewer provided with the trainer.

^^^

In my experience the QR used *must* have a round profile on both ends. QRs (like Shimano) that are squarish on the lever side are prone to slipping.

Strangely enough the best fit seems to be with generic/cheap QRs. The one supplied with my Fluid2 fits so well in the "fixed" side that I can release the axle clamp and the bike will hang there because the QR fits so well in the socket.

Thanks guys. One thing I have noticed is that I sometimes have difficulty getting the bike off the trainer because I cant get the QR out of the cup!! I am using the QR supplied with the trainer.

Another thing that I see is that the "bolt" on the fixed side is able to move if not properly tightened using the "nut" (not sure what you would call it??). I have tightened it as much as possible and the movement of the bolt inside the thread seems to be reduced. Haven't tried my body weight on it yet so we will see tomorrow.

I am trying very hard not to get annoyed with this piece of equipment!!

i have a cycle ops. Did you try using the skewer that came with it instead of the one thats already in your bike? ( mine came with one, i dont know if yours did... ) maybe that will fit better and your wobbly/clamping problem will be solved perhaps...