Cycle Ops Fluid2 TT Vs Cycle Ops Fluid 2

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by brandyleigh35, Aug 22, 2005.

1. brandyleigh35

brandyleigh35 New Member

Not to sound ignorant but are these two trainers the same minus the fancy USPS paint job? My husband and I are looking to purchase two trainers so that we can stay in shape over the winter here. The Cycle Ops Fluid2 seems to have pretty good rating here and on the other sites I've researched. In my reviews I couldn't tell a difference between these two (specs wise) other than about a $100.00 price difference. Just want to be sure I'm not missing something major here. Thanks for you help.

Brandy

Tags:

2. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

From what I've read, that's the difference. Maybe next year they'll have a Discovery paint job available.

I'm planning to upgrade to a fluid trainer this winter as well, but after reading some reviews (and complaints of leakage), I'll probably go with the Kinetic Road Machine - http://www.analyticcycling.com/Kinetic/KineticTrainerFeatures.html

Reasons:
    1) fluid leakage seems less likely
    2) higher wattage rating
    3) larger flywheel gives more realistic accelerations

Bear in mind that I'll be using mine for race training, but it might be worth a look.

3. Peter Verdesi

Peter Verdesi New Member

I bought a Fluid2 TT last year and I'm pretty sure the difference was that you got some CTS Train Right DVDs with the Fluid2. I really like the machine. Great workout for the winter months and the DVDs; (lot's of people don't like them) I think they're pretty good. They'll motivate you a bit. Check Ebay. You can get some pretty good deals. Good luck.

4. brandyleigh35

brandyleigh35 New Member

Thanks! Yeah I had looked on Ebay, much better prices for sure. That is why we are going to buy two instead of just one now. We didn't want to have to swap out our bikes everyday, and its just more motivating to ride together, even if we have to train in the garage :D Got any recommendations for good riding videos. I'm game as I hate looking at nothing while I ride. Bad is still better than nothing to me!

Brandy

5. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

They are the same except for the paint job and the DVDs you get with them.

I have a 2005 CycleOps Fluid2 and it has a small leak. I'd logged maybe 900 miles on it when I found the leak. It's not bad but it's still a leak. I woudn't buy another one but that doesn't mean that they all leak. I may have just gotten a lemon. That seems to happen quite a bit with me. :(

6. brandyleigh35

brandyleigh35 New Member

Ok....now you have me a bit worried with this leak thing. If it leaks is it repairable? or are you basically screwed? I was gonna go with this model exactly as most seem to like it, however, we are gonna be putting some serious miles on these babies. I'm in Alaska and winter is freakin 9 months long! What do you think?

Brandy

7. Doctor Morbius

What do I think? I think I'm probably one guy out of the pack who happened to get a lemon. I haven't contacted CycleOps or tried to repair the unit. I've put newspapers down to absorb the oil and will most likely just toss it when I've had enough of it. And I probably won't buy another one.

Keep in mind there are thousands of CycleOps Fluid2 customers that are perfectly happy with them.

8. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Look at some online reviews. As always, there will be some good ones and some bad ones, but I saw enough comments of leakage that it got me looking elsewhere.

I would definitely steer clear of ebay for that item. If you look on the Cycle-Ops website, you will see that their fluid trainers come with a *lifetime* warranty. I just looked at a couple ebay ads and saw *1 year warranty*. Of all the reviews I read, one of the redeeming qualities of the Fluid2 trainer was Cycle-Ops' customer service and warranty quality. If I were to buy a Fluid2 trainer, I would definitely get it from an authorized dealer. Not trying to scare you, but I went through the same thought process myself. Good luck.

Edit: yes, they can be repaired under Cycle-Ops' lifetime warranty.

9. brandyleigh35

brandyleigh35 New Member

Actually I had researched these quite a bit, that is why we were going to buy them. The ones I'm looking at on Ebay have a lifetime warranty. Guess I will just go with them and cross my fingers that they work ok. If not then I will utilize the warranty if necessary to get them repaired, or replaced. Thanks for all the imput......I appreciate it.

Brandy

10. Doctor Morbius

I bought mine on ebay so that's why I'm most likely not going to pursue the warranty. My next trainer will probably be something like this...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19269&subcategory_ID=4120

You get a great handlebar-mounted display that provides you with speed, distance, ride time, power output, virtual slope and elevation gain, so you don’t have to install a rear mounted cycling computer to get all your stats. The handlebar shifter provides five levels of resistance; so you can make the most of your indoor training sessions and the addition of the auto-adjust spring plate make for easy assembly.

11. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I just got a Power Meter last month, so I'm all jazzed up to get a new fluid trainer and pound the crap out of it all winter. The Kinetics are completely sealed and rated to 2500W! My knees are probably only rated to 1500... :D

12. rule62

rule62 New Member

The only issue that I had with my CycleOps Fluid2 ended up being its 700W rating. The first time that I really cranked out a big effort, out blew the fluid seal. It is a great fluid trainer, just be sure that it matches your intended use. If you are going to be cranking out stomps and muscle tension intervals on it, you might want to consider whether you will be overpowering it. CycleOps customer service is great to deal with, but it is still a real pain to have to box up and send your trainer in for repair or replacement.