Cycle parking at stations

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Jack Tyson, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Jack Tyson

    Jack Tyson Guest

    Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both groups.

    I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily basis, and I wondered if
    anyone could comment on the cycle parking at these stations.

    Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are there usually spaces? Is it free?
    How secure is it?

    Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything suitable nearby? How secure is it?

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    --
    Jack

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jack Tyson wrote:
    > Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are there usually spaces? Is it
    > free? How secure is it?

    There are free cycle parking stands outside Waterloo (can't remember if covered or not). I've not
    used them regularly but have managed to find a space even in peak times when scores of bikes are
    locked up there. Only security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
    tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

    There may be some additional secure facicilities for all I know. Hopefully a regular user of the
    station will fill you in more.

    ~PB

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Jack Tyson wrote:
    > Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both groups.
    >
    > I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily basis, and I wondered if
    > anyone could comment on the cycle parking at these stations.
    >
    > Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are there usually spaces? Is it
    > free? How secure is it?
    >
    > Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything suitable nearby? How
    > secure is it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of secure cycle parking at Waterloo
    and Victoria Stations

    Tony

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of secure cycle parking at
    > Waterloo and Victoria Stations

    Looks good but at £34 per month it would be cheaper to buy an extra hack bike.

    ~PB

  6. Jack Tyson

    Jack Tyson Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:35:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Jack Tyson wrote:
    >> Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are there usually spaces? Is it
    >> free? How secure is it?
    >
    >There are free cycle parking stands outside Waterloo (can't remember if covered or not). I've not
    >used them regularly but have managed to find a space even in peak times when scores of bikes are
    >locked up there. Only security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or
    >tampered with if it looks poorer than average!

    Hmm. I've got one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg

    Cost £200.

    Would you say it's likely to look better or poorer than average?

    If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look rubbish..?

    --
    Jack

  7. Jack Tyson

    Jack Tyson Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:53:35 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jack Tyson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily basis, and I wondered if
    >> anyone could comment on the cycle parking at these stations.
    >

    >Say goodbye to station bike parking misery with New, Improved Brompton!
    >
    >http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/

    Ah, if only I could justify/afford the expense!

    --
    Jack

  8. Jack Tyson

    Jack Tyson Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:11:36 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >> You need to visit http://www.bike-n-rack.mcmail.com/ for details of secure cycle parking at
    >> Waterloo and Victoria Stations
    >
    >Looks good but at £34 per month it would be cheaper to buy an extra hack bike.

    I agree, it's quite pricey. Might try a week for £9 until I work up the courage to chance it with
    the free stands!

    --
    Jack

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jack Tyson wrote:

    >> ...........Only security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or tampered
    >> with if it looks poorer than average!
    >
    > Hmm. I've got one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg Cost £200.
    >
    > Would you say it's likely to look better or poorer than average?

    Looks nice enough but is only of average quality, really - which the theives will know. I think
    it'll be alright.

    > If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look rubbish..?

    Leave some dirt on. Tape wraped around frame is a common ploy but then people might then think the
    frame is better than it is! :)

    If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced with security skewers that
    require a separate special key to operate. Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost (depending
    on what fastening system your bike can take). I recommend these:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3656547117

    Replacing Allen bolts with Torx bolts (as mention a few weeks ago on this newsgroup) could help for
    other parts.

    Good d-lock (eg. Kryptonite) and perhaps a cable lock in addition for the wheels or frame.

    ~PB

  10. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:20:24 +0000, Jack Tyson wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:35:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >>security is safety in numbers - your bike is not likely to get nicked or tampered with if it looks
    >>poorer than average!
    >
    > Hmm. I've got one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/586464b.jpg Cost £200. Would you
    > say it's likely to look better or poorer than average? If better, any tips on easily-reversible
    > ways to make it look rubbish..?

    Better.Dont know about Waterloo, but that bike would be the most expensive at the stations I visit.
    You need to fit thin tyres, drop handlebars and a worn saddle to make it 'fit-in'.(as well as a
    complete lack of shiny parts visible). Maybe best to get a £30 old road bike, and lock it up with
    the cheapest lock possible - thieves wont touch it then. Alan.

    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  11. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Looks nice enough but is only of average quality, really - which the theives will know. I think
    > it'll be alright.
    >
    > Leave some dirt on. Tape wraped around frame is a common ploy but then people might then think the
    > frame is better than it is! :)
    >
    > If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced with security skewers
    > that require a separate special key to operate. Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost
    > (depending on what fastening system your bike can take). I recommend these:
    > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3656547117
    >
    > Replacing Allen bolts with Torx bolts (as mention a few weeks ago on this newsgroup) could help
    > for other parts.
    >
    > Good d-lock (eg. Kryptonite) and perhaps a cable lock in addition for the wheels or frame.

    And what do you suggest for stopping the wheels getting bent, let down or slashed overnight along
    with all the other usual damage created by the terminally bored or frustrated?

    Tony

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  13. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > And what do you suggest for stopping the wheels getting bent, let down or slashed overnight along
    > with all the other usual damage created by the terminally bored or frustrated?

    The bent wheels I see tend to be on bikes on their own or in small numbers left outside tube
    stations at railings and the like late at night. I think this is not so likely to happen at Waterloo
    Stn and I presume this bike won't be left overnight. Of course you can never prevent all vandalism
    but that doesn't mean it's not worth taking some measures to protect the bike. Stolen wheels is the
    biggest problem and most theives don't vandalise if they can't nick. The skewers I mentioned are
    excellent value costing only £8.50. Such an easy and good upgrade.

    ~PB

  14. Jack Tyson

    Jack Tyson Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:51:45 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Jack Tyson wrote:
    >
    >> If better, any tips on easily-reversible ways to make it look rubbish..?
    >
    >Leave some dirt on. Tape wraped around frame is a common ploy but then people might then think the
    >frame is better than it is! :)

    It's looking pretty dirty at the moment so that's good.

    I shall bear in mind the double-edged-sword element of taping the frame...

    >If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced with security skewers that
    >require a separate special key to operate. Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost (depending
    >on what fastening system your bike can take). I recommend these:
    >http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3656547117

    Sounds like a good idea but I've no idea how these would be fitted - I'm afraid I hate repairing
    mechanical things. Is it difficult?

    >Good d-lock (eg. Kryptonite) and perhaps a cable lock in addition for the wheels or frame.

    These are the locks I have.

    An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to secure the frame - Picture:
    http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg PDF spec: http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf

    And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually run through the quick release saddle, quick
    release front wheel and the frame Pic: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/344737b.jpg Product
    page: <http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/produit.asp?int_DeptId=269&int_DeptPereId=33054&int_Pf-
    Id=344737>

    Any opinions on their suitability for protecting my bike?

    --
    Jack

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jack Tyson wrote:

    >> I recommend these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3656547117
    >
    > Sounds like a good idea but I've no idea how these would be fitted - I'm afraid I hate repairing
    > mechanical things. Is it difficult?

    Very easy, don't even have to remove wheels - but they are only suitable for quick release type hubs
    - ones with levers to remove wheels instead having to undo nuts with a spanner. (I couldn't tell
    what you have from the pic). They items replace the existing quick release skewers. Old ones are
    released and undone and simply pulled out through the hollow hub axle. New ones shoved in. The key
    uses a rotary action to tighten. I'm happy to post more detailed instructions on anything should you
    need them if you cross that bridge, if you know what I mean.

    > These are the locks I have.
    >
    > An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to secure the frame - Picture:
    > http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg PDF spec:
    > http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf

    Hopefully another reader will look that up in the Cycling Plus magazine tests for you (I haven't got
    them all).

    > And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually run through the quick release saddle,
    > quick release front wheel and the frame Pic: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/product/400/344737b.jpg
    > Product page:

    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ukstore/produit.asp?int_DeptId=269&int_DeptPere Id=33054&int_PfId=344737

    I expect that's fine for the type (and you probably wouldn't want to carry anything much heavier in
    additional to the d-lock or buy something much more expensive). It all helps.

    ~PB

  16. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Jack Tyson wrote:

    >> If quick release wheels instead of nutted, the skewers could be replaced with security skewers
    >> that require a separate special key to operate. Same kind of thing can be done with seatpost
    >> (depending on what fastening system your bike can take). I recommend these:
    >> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3656547117
    >
    > Sounds like a good idea but I've no idea how these would be fitted - I'm afraid I hate repairing
    > mechanical things. Is it difficult?

    I forgot to mention the security seatpost binder in my last reply but I've not used one of those
    myself. I'm not quite sure what exact type they are or what they fit - but I reckon the Trans X set
    is worth buying for the wheel skewers alone anyway. I bought two sets (just the wheel jobs) and am
    very happy with them.

    ~PB

  17. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Jack Tyson wrote:

    > Apologies for the cross-post but I felt this was relevant to both groups.
    >
    > I want to cycle to Vauxhall or Waterloo to pick up a train, on a daily basis, and I wondered if
    > anyone could comment on the cycle parking at these stations.
    >
    > Waterloo Station has official cycle parking - what's it like? Are there usually spaces? Is it
    > free? How secure is it?
    >
    > Vauxhall Station has no official cycle parking. Is there anything suitable nearby? How
    > secure is it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > --
    > Jack

    There will be cycle racks at Vauxhall on completion of the bus station. The TfL website has some
    more info at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/vauxhallX_cycling.shtml

    Chris

  18. Pmailkeey

    Pmailkeey Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:25:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jack Tyson) wrote:

    :)These are the locks I have. ) )An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to secure
    :the )frame - )Picture: http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg )PDF spec:
    :http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf ) )And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually
    :run through the )quick release saddle, quick release front wheel and the frame

    If £5 is what you think the bike's worth, fine.

    My bike was ~£570. Lock: £50 Chain: £35

    Bear in mind that if it's left in the same place regularly for long periods, a thief can take his
    time to look at the bike, see the lock, order his tools and return at a convenient time.
    --
    Comm again, Mike.

  19. Robin May

    Robin May Guest

    [email protected] (pmailkeey) wrote the following in:
    news:[email protected]

    > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:25:54 GMT, [email protected] (Jack Tyson) wrote:
    >
    >:)These are the locks I have. ) )An Oxford Revolver Armoured Cable Lock, £30, which I use to
    >:secure the )frame -
    >:)Picture: http://www.oxprod.com/Bicycle/Revolvercycle.jpg )PDF spec:
    >:http://www.oxprod.com/pdf/revolverpdf.pdf ) )And a Decathlon "SP3" cable lock, £5, which I usually
    >:run through
    >:the )quick release saddle, quick release front wheel and the frame
    >

    > If £5 is what you think the bike's worth, fine.
    >
    > My bike was ~£570. Lock: £50 Chain: £35
    >
    > Bear in mind that if it's left in the same place regularly for long periods, a thief can take his
    > time to look at the bike, see the lock, order his tools and return at a convenient time.

    I think that would have to be quite an expensive bike (e.g. like yours) to be worth that much effort
    though. I have a bike that's worth £150 and looks fairly new and non-dodgy. For quite a while I
    locked it up regularly outside West Ham station using a lock that's probably 8 to 10 years old,
    looks rather grotty and probably isn't very safe. It was often the only bike there and as far as I
    can tell no one ever made any attempt to steal it. The most that ever happened was a few times
    someone twisted the gear changers.

    I expect that £35 worth of lock on a £200 bike locked up in Waterloo with lots of other bikes is
    probably plenty.

    --
    message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law. Enjoy the Routemaster while you still can.

    Crime is confusing.