cycle parking

Iarocu

Guest
Hi all Passed my local fitness club the other day. Noticed it has 3 places for locking bikes. Of
course it has about 50 car parking spaces and most members live within 3 miles. The bike places are
of course round the back out of sight beside the dustbins. Many of the cagers park on the road
blocking the cycle path rather than walk the extra 20 yards using the car parking spaces at the back
would entail. End of rant. cheers Iain C

Where I work we have a subsidised gym in the basement. Most people take the lift down to the gym
rather than expending valuable energy on the stairs.

--
Rob

"iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all Passed my local fitness club the other day. Noticed it has 3 places for locking bikes. Of
> course it has about 50 car parking spaces and most members live within 3 miles. The bike places
> are of course round the back out of sight beside the dustbins. Many of the cagers park on the road
> blocking the cycle path rather than walk the extra 20 yards using the car parking spaces at the
> back would entail. End of rant. cheers Iain C

Of course, them that use their bikes enough don't need to use a fitness club.

Neil

"iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all Passed my local fitness club the other day. Noticed it has 3 places for locking bikes. Of
> course it has about 50 car parking spaces and most members live within 3 miles. The bike places
> are of course round the back out of sight beside the dustbins. Many of the cagers park on the road
> blocking the cycle path rather than walk the extra 20 yards using the car parking spaces at the
> back would entail. End of rant. cheers Iain C

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:52:09 -0700, iarocu did issue forth:

> Hi all Passed my local fitness club the other day. Noticed it has 3 places for locking bikes. Of
> course it has about 50 car parking spaces and most members live within 3 miles. The bike places
> are of course round the back out of sight beside the dustbins. Many of the cagers park on the road
> blocking the cycle path rather than walk the extra 20 yards using the car parking spaces at the
> back would entail. End of rant. cheers Iain C

That reminded me of this quote from a US Congressman:

"Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who are now stuck in traffic on their way to a
health club to ride a stationary bicycle."

Congressman (and bike commuter) Earl Blumenauer (OR) at the inauguration of a new D.C
bike path.

Huw

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:05:20 +0100, "Robert Bruce" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Where I work we have a subsidised gym in the basement. Most people take the lift down to the gym
>rather than expending valuable energy on the stairs.

And have you noticed those people who arrive at a gym, walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill,
then leave. Why don't they just walk to the gym, turn round and then walk back home? It'd save a
load of dosh.

Ah but fitnes clubs are great when its snowing and raining uphill here in the frozen north!

"iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all Passed my local fitness club the other day. Noticed it has 3 places for locking bikes. Of
> course it has about 50 car parking spaces and most members live within 3 miles. The bike places
> are of course round the back out of sight beside the dustbins. Many of the cagers park on the road
> blocking the cycle path rather than walk the extra 20 yards using the car parking spaces at the
> back would entail. End of rant. cheers Iain C

We've got a subsidised gym as well. I was asked why I didn't join as they have loads of static bikes
with video games that I might enjoy. Why on earth do I need to go when I'm doing over 5000 miles
year in real life with real hills and wind?

In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:
> "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> cheers Iain C
>
> We've got a subsidised gym as well. I was asked why I didn't join as they have loads of static
> bikes with video games that I might enjoy. Why on earth do I need to go when I'm doing over 5000
> miles year in real life with real hills and wind?

I'm no longer member of a gym - price went up too high - but I really did fid the static bikes
excellent training - set for a medium hill and keep going for 30-40 minutes and it did wonders for
the leg muscles! Much the same way static rowing machines are part of the training routine of all
top rowers.

Don't forget downhills and following wind help on the road but the remorseless blinking of the
lights on the machine tell you exactly when you ease up!

pk

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I'm no longer member of a gym - price went up too high - but I really did fid the static bikes
> excellent training - set for a medium hill and keep going for 30-40 minutes and it did wonders for
> the leg muscles! Much the same way static rowing machines are part of the training routine of all
> top rowers.

Don't you find that all the ergometer bikes have piddly little cranks even by the piddly little
standards that we're all used to on the real things? At least on the rowing machines you can use the
full normal range of your muscles on the drive, whatever their other disadvantages.

In news:p[email protected], Henry Braun
<[email protected]> typed:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Paul Kelly wrote:
>> I'm no longer member of a gym - price went up too high - but I really did fid the static bikes
>> excellent training - set for a medium hill and keep going for 30-40 minutes and it did wonders
>> for the leg muscles! Much the same way static rowing machines are part of the training routine of
>> all top rowers.
>
> Don't you find that all the ergometer bikes have piddly little cranks even by the piddly little
> standards that we're all used to on the real things? At least on the rowing machines you can use
> the full normal range of your muscles on the drive, whatever their other disadvantages.

True - rowing ergos are good for technique as well as work. not the same for static bikes - but
those blinking lights.......

pk

"Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> In news:[email protected], Simon Mason <[email protected]> typed:
> > "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> cheers Iain C
> >
> > We've got a subsidised gym as well. I was asked why I didn't join as they have loads of static
> > bikes with video games that I might enjoy. Why on earth do I need to go when I'm doing over 5000
> > miles year in real life with real hills and wind?
>
> I'm no longer member of a gym - price went up too high - but I really did fid the static bikes
> excellent training - set for a medium hill and keep going for 30-40 minutes and it did wonders for
> the leg muscles! Much the same way static rowing machines are part of the training routine of all
> top rowers.
>
> Don't forget downhills and following wind help on the road but the remorseless blinking of the
> lights on the machine tell you exactly when you ease up!

But you can just get off your gym bike when you've had enough, yet if you bike 25 miles away from
home, you've got to grit your teeth and bike back. Simon