Cycle Parts in French

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Woody, May 31, 2004.

  1. Woody

    Woody Guest

    I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly. Now I
    can just about get by with my school boy French to find the nearest bar and
    order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
    because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure is beyond
    me.

    Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for the usual
    components on cycle?

    Thanks

    Woody

    Tags:

  2. Tony B

    Tony B Guest

  3. On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:49:01 +0100, Woody wrote:

    > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly. Now I
    > can just about get by with my school boy French to find the nearest bar and
    > order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
    > because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure is beyond
    > me.

    Most of the supermarkets used to sell decent bike parts pretty cheaply
    (i.e. not top-end stuff, but a league above any supermarket I've seen in
    the UK).

    Safe cycling,

    AC

  4. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:49:01 +0100, Woody wrote:
    >
    > > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly. Now I
    > > can just about get by with my school boy French to find the nearest bar and
    > > order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
    > > because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure is beyond
    > > me.

    > Most of the supermarkets used to sell decent bike parts pretty cheaply
    > (i.e. not top-end stuff, but a league above any supermarket I've seen in
    > the UK).

    Even quite small supermarkets often have bicycle departments and the large
    supermarkets will sell all kinds of stuff, including puncture kits, tubes,
    lights, spare dynamos, locks, baskets, pumps, and the odd selection of tools and
    nuts/bolts.
    --
    Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  5. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Woody wrote:
    > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly. Now I
    > can just about get by with my school boy French to find the nearest bar and
    > order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
    > because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure is beyond
    > me.
    >
    > Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for the usual
    > components on cycle?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Woody

    If you see a Decathlon store while you are over there its well worth a
    visit anyway. Very reasonable prices, I have bought quite a lot from
    them over the last few years.

    Stan Cox

  6. Cicero

    Cicero Guest

    "Woody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly. Now

    > can just about get by with my school boy French to find the nearest bar

    and
    > order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
    > because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure is beyond
    > me.
    >
    > Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for the usual
    > components on cycle?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Woody

    ====================
    Go into your local library and borrow a French 'Duden'. This is a pictorial
    dictionary covering almost everything in daily use. You should be able to
    photocopy the appropriate page(s). I believe that you can also find it
    online but I can't find it.

    Cic.

  7. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Woody wrote:
    > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly.
    > Now I can just about get by with my school boy French to find the
    > nearest bar and order a few beers. However, asking the way to the
    > nearest cycle shop because some item on my bike has suffered a
    > catestrophic failure is beyond me.
    >
    > Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for the usual
    > components on cycle?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Woody

    I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure the bike is upto the job first

  8. Woody wrote:
    > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to France shortly. Now I
    > can just about get by with my school boy French to find the nearest bar and
    > order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
    > because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure is beyond
    > me.
    >
    > Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for the usual
    > components on cycle?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Woody

    may be worth picking up a copy of lonely plaents cycling in france :)