Cycle Parts in French

Woody

Guest
I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
France shortly. Now I can just about get by with my
school boy French to find the nearest bar and order a few
beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop
because some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic
failure is beyond
me.

Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for
the usual components on cycle?

Thanks

Woody

On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:49:01 +0100, Woody wrote:

> I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
> France shortly. Now I can just about get by with my school
> boy French to find the nearest bar and order a few beers.
> However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop because
> some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure
> is beyond
> me.

Most of the supermarkets used to sell decent bike parts
pretty cheaply
(i.e. not top-end stuff, but a league above any supermarket
I've seen in the UK).

Safe cycling,

AC

"anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:49:01 +0100, Woody wrote:
>
> > I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
> > France shortly. Now I can just about get by with my
> > school boy French to find the nearest bar and order a
> > few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest cycle
> > shop because some item on my bike has suffered a
> > catestrophic failure is beyond
> > me.
>
> Most of the supermarkets used to sell decent bike parts
> pretty cheaply
> (i.e. not top-end stuff, but a league above any
> supermarket I've seen in the UK).

Even quite small supermarkets often have bicycle departments
and the large supermarkets will sell all kinds of stuff,
including puncture kits, tubes, lights, spare dynamos,
locks, baskets, pumps, and the odd selection of tools and
nuts/bolts.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Woody wrote:
> I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
> France shortly. Now I can just about get by with my school
> boy French to find the nearest bar and order a few beers.
> However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop because
> some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure
> is beyond
> me.
>
> Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for
> the usual components on cycle?
>
> Thanks
>
> Woody

If you see a Decathlon store while you are over there its
well worth a visit anyway. Very reasonable prices, I have
bought quite a lot from them over the last few years.

Stan Cox

"Woody" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
> France shortly. Now
> can just about get by with my school boy French to find
> the nearest bar
and
> order a few beers. However, asking the way to the nearest
> cycle shop because some item on my bike has suffered a
> catestrophic failure is beyond
> me.
>
> Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for
> the usual components on cycle?
>
> Thanks
>
> Woody

====================
Go into your local library and borrow a French 'Duden'. This
is a pictorial dictionary covering almost everything in
daily use. You should be able to photocopy the appropriate
page(s). I believe that you can also find it online but I
can't find it.

Cic.

Woody wrote:
> I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
> France shortly. Now I can just about get by with my school
> boy French to find the nearest bar and order a few beers.
> However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop because
> some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure
> is beyond me.
>
> Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for
> the usual components on cycle?
>
> Thanks
>
> Woody

I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure the bike is upto
the job first

Woody wrote:
> I am going on a cycling holiday with some friends to
> France shortly. Now I can just about get by with my school
> boy French to find the nearest bar and order a few beers.
> However, asking the way to the nearest cycle shop because
> some item on my bike has suffered a catestrophic failure
> is beyond
> me.
>
> Is there a site or can anyone supply the French terms for
> the usual components on cycle?
>
> Thanks
>
> Woody

may be worth picking up a copy of lonely plaents cycling in
france :)