Cycle path standards

marc

Guest
my LA have just spent a large chunk of other peoples money on cycle
routes to nowhere, and I'm in the middle of trying to persuade them that
they should be providing cycle parking at key points such as the leisure
centre. I can handle the leisure centre bit ( I will send them a picture
every day of the single bike rack full) but I also wnat to point out
that their brand spanking new path is dangerous by being narrow and by
causing a bottle neck at the enterance to the centre. They have replied
with "the route was designed in consultation with Sustrans and that the
specifications used were based on the standards set out in their
National Cycle Network guidance" anyone any idea where I can find the
stnadards to check?

On Nov 9, 10:14 pm, marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> my LA have just spent a large chunk of other peoples money on cycle
> routes to nowhere, and I'm in the middle of trying to persuade them that
> they should be providing cycle parking at key points such as the leisure
> centre. I can handle the leisure centre bit ( I will send them a picture
> every day of the single bike rack full) but I also wnat to point out
> that their brand spanking new path is dangerous by being narrow and by
> causing a bottle neck at the enterance to the centre. They have replied
> with "the route was designed in consultation with Sustrans and that the
> specifications used were based on the standards set out in their
> National Cycle Network guidance" anyone any idea where I can find the
> stnadards to check?

You might find something here http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1149001882109

Regards,

Duncan

"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> my LA have just spent a large chunk of other peoples money on cycle
> routes to nowhere, and I'm in the middle of trying to persuade them that
> they should be providing cycle parking at key points such as the leisure
> centre. I can handle the leisure centre bit ( I will send them a picture
> every day of the single bike rack full) but I also wnat to point out
> that their brand spanking new path is dangerous by being narrow and by
> causing a bottle neck at the enterance to the centre. They have replied
> with "the route was designed in consultation with Sustrans and that the
> specifications used were based on the standards set out in their
> National Cycle Network guidance" anyone any idea where I can find the
> stnadards to check?

Another possible source
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/publications/2766.aspx

Marc

Why not send some pictures to us at Warrington Cycle Campaign

See our Facility of the Month page

www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk

Best regards

Rod King

Rod King wrote:
> Marc
>
> Why not send some pictures to us at Warrington Cycle Campaign
>
> See our Facility of the Month page
>
> www.warringtoncyclecampaign.co.uk
>

> Best regards
>

> Rod King

These aren't really in the same league of stupidity as most of yours,
although there is one part of NCN 04 that deserves "recognition" ,the
path i'm querying is politically important becuase it runs past the
Council HQ, so if I can get it recognised as needing alteration after
they have installed it it will be in the officers and coucillors faces.

marc wrote:
> my LA have just spent a large chunk of other peoples money on cycle
> routes to nowhere, and I'm in the middle of trying to persuade them that
> they should be providing cycle parking at key points such as the leisure
> centre. I can handle the leisure centre bit ( I will send them a picture
> every day of the single bike rack full) but I also wnat to point out
> that their brand spanking new path is dangerous by being narrow and by
> causing a bottle neck at the enterance to the centre. They have replied
> with "the route was designed in consultation with Sustrans and that the
> specifications used were based on the standards set out in their
> National Cycle Network guidance" anyone any idea where I can find the
> stnadards to check?

Point out to them that cycle routes (on roads) are pointless and do
nothing but mentally segregate cyclists from other road users, not
physically, and generally put them in greater danger?