Cycle Paths Are Good

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Blake, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. Ian Blake

    Ian Blake Guest

    Ok, Not Really.

    This week as I commute past Valleywood (site of new film studios near
    Llanilid [near Bridgend [near Cardiff [West of Bristol]]] I encounter
    temporary traffic lights at the new roundabout they have been building
    for about six months. Among the constructions that appeared recently
    is a short section of cycle path (CP). At the moment the entrance is
    just by the start of the traffic lights so when the red light is
    showing I ride up the dropped kerb on to the CP and ride past the
    oncoming traffic. Brilliant. In a while they will move the traffic
    lights so I doubt I will ever use the CP again.
     
    Tags:


  2. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Ian Blake wrote:
    > Ok, Not Really.
    >
    > This week as I commute past Valleywood (site of new film studios near
    > Llanilid [near Bridgend [near Cardiff [West of Bristol]]] I encounter
    > temporary traffic lights at the new roundabout they have been building
    > for about six months. Among the constructions that appeared recently
    > is a short section of cycle path (CP). At the moment the entrance is
    > just by the start of the traffic lights so when the red light is
    > showing I ride up the dropped kerb on to the CP and ride past the
    > oncoming traffic. Brilliant. In a while they will move the traffic
    > lights so I doubt I will ever use the CP again.


    A traffic light in Oxford was the only place I saw any of the riders of
    the Poor Student use a cycle path (as it avoided it)
     
  3. "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:
    | A traffic light in Oxford was the only place I saw any of the riders of
    | the Poor Student use a cycle path (as it avoided it)

    Is that the one that passes the light on the Headington Road,
    going Headingtonwards from Headington Hill past the Gypsy Lane
    junction? It's there to allow two parallel lanes at the lights,
    and drops you into the unprotected beginning of an on-road lane
    just past the lights. I've never been keen on it because you
    have to be really sure there's no other vehicle going to go
    straight on into the lane where it rejoins the road. I think
    I have only used it once, and that was last Tuesday night.

    Mind you, a similar construction on Horspath Driftway (again to
    allow a right-turn lane) comes with a small island in the road
    at the point where it rejoins the road. This means that if you
    are bowling along at twenty miles an hour (as I usually am there,
    having just had to negotiate the roundabout at the end of the
    Slade) and opt not to bounce up onto the kerb and back down
    again, then you run the risk of being either impaled on the
    bollard on the island protecting the restart of the lane, or of
    being flattened by the passing fire engine that hasn't anticipated
    your sudden swerve into the road to avoid the island.

    Short psyclepaths that dodge around traffic lights are odd in a
    place like Oxford which has numerous traffic lights planted in
    the middles of cycle lanes, like the one at the bottom of the
    very same Headington Hill. That one's unforgivable, because the
    cycle lane was there before the traffic light pole was planted
    in it. At least the one by Jordan Hill is one that was in the
    pedestrian side of a segregated path that had its polarity switched.
     
  4. On 2006-03-09 17:08 +0000, Geraint Jones wrote:
    > Short psyclepaths that dodge around traffic lights are odd in a
    > place like Oxford which has numerous traffic lights planted in
    > the middles of cycle lanes,


    Theres another of the wretched things on Cowley road, going away from
    town opposite the Bingo hall. It helpfully takes you through a crowded
    bus stop on a busy route, perhaps as a means of encouraging public
    transport or warm fuzzy engagement with the local community.
    It's all of maybe 50m long and terminates parallel to the road at the 90
    degree left turn into Bartlemas Close (allotment fences, poor
    visibility, dubious traffic islands littering the main road at that
    point and beyond). Shoud you want to rejoin quickly having been led
    astray, you can't. Should you want to turn left, you have a badly
    obscured 270 degree arc to survey first.

    But hey, you do get to avoid traffic lights. And I bet that'll sell it
    to the lycra types because we all know that they never stop at traffic
    lights, isn't that so?

    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.74435,-1.229149 (ish) for the record.

    Unrelated to the pavement stupidity, I was struck by a passing minicab
    at that junction last year (without fall, injury, or damage I'm glad to
    report). I was mid-lane, indicating left and taking the turn slowly
    (there'd been works on the corner recently, being cautious, and did I
    mention the 90 degree bend?); cabbie overtakes through the junction,
    presumably decides he can't make it between me and the Questionably
    Placed Traffic Island, picks the softer option and clips my saddlebag in
    passing. Tuckfard. All I caught was a glimpse of the bugger's hack
    plate in those glorious few seconds of what-the-heck, but no number alas.

    --
    Andrew Chadwick
     
  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > | A traffic light in Oxford was the only place I saw any of the riders of
    > | the Poor Student use a cycle path (as it avoided it)
    >
    > Is that the one that passes the light on the Headington Road,
    > going Headingtonwards from Headington Hill past the Gypsy Lane
    > junction?


    no it was going west after the station bridge, near a
    multiplex/leezhur/retail therapy outlet centre IIRC. I used to go along
    the one in Headington (?) Park; not sure if it's still there. Talking
    of which, has the shark man sold the house or does he still live there
    ? (the house was called untitled 1985 when I was there)
     
Loading...
Loading...